Industry News: Major Nikon announcements are happening tonight

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
According to Nikon Rumors, Nikon has major announcements lined up for tonight.
Nikon will officially announce two lenses for the Z mount, a 24mm f/1.8 and a 24-200mm f/??-6.3.
Along with the new Z mount lenses, Nikon will finally announce their flagship D6 DSLR that they teased last year.

Nikon D6 Rumored Specifications:

2oMP sensor, not 24MP as previous reported (still not 100% sure)
No IBIS (still not 100% sure)
14 fps in normal shutter mode (the D5 could do 12 fps)
Improved/better AF system but probably with the same number of AF points
The Nikon D6 AF improvements are crucial and comparable to the Sony A9II
The D6 will have more features and customization options for various aspects of the camera and settings
Companion applications will also...

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
One stop improved high ISO. I guess physics is not dead ended yet.
I don't think Canon and Nikon made a deal with the devil to defeat physics. For example, Canon's claim about the 1 stop improvement in the 1DX III vs the 1DX II seems to come down mostly to clever processesing and will likely be less significant if RAW files are edited on a PC:

"• New 20.1MP, Canon CMOS sensor
As mentioned above, new sensor architecture attacks high-ISO noise at the pixel level, meaning less noise before brightness signals ever reach the primary processor.
• New DIGIC X processor
Faster processing, handling even more noise-reduction calculations and algorithms for every still image processed in-camera…this applies to video, as well. The advanced noise reduction processing at the sensor is especially effective at the default ISO range, which again extends to ISO 102,400."

Quote from the white paper page 42.

Dynamic range at higher ISOs can still be enhanced though, I'm curious what we'll see there from both Canon and Nikon.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I couldn't care less. Can we remove this Nikon spam message from this canon rumors site? It is not on topic.
Its good to hear about what the industry is doing. Being here I obviously have my favourite but I personally enjoy all things photography regardless of brand. I’m currently extremely happy being a Sony and Canon user and was also a happy Nikon user too (through work) 10 years ago.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Interesting, Nikon wants to announce in front of Canon: Does it really matter who is announcing first? More important:
- who has thebetter product(s) to announce
- when will these product(s) be available
But these items have been know for awhile and Canon already announced the D6 competitor anyways.
More excited to see what Canon tells us about R5 this week. No leaks via Nokishita tell me it won’t be a full announcement like the RF 24-105 and new Rebel will be.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No leaks via Nokishita tell me it won’t be a full announcement like the RF 24-105 and new Rebel will be.

"No leaks via Nokishita" may also tell you the whole R5 affair might not be real.

It was fishy when when it started. People got dragged into fantastical discussions that got the excitement whipped up - all over a spec sheet that might wind up settling down to that of a run-of-the-mill A7R3/4 competitor. It's slightly more fishy now that expected pre-announcement leak rags are showing nothing.

Super happy to be wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Arbitrage, I suspect you are quite close to my needs and thinking regarding Sony/Canon, based on your previous opinions. If the R5 rumor is >85 percent true, I'd sell a couple Sony bodies, and more importantly, have to swap big whites. Would be happy to do it. But I haven't been pricing things on FredMirando.com just yet, as this just doesn't sound like the Canon I've known for decades.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
"No leaks via Nokishita" may also tell you the whole R5 affair might not be real.

It was fishy when when it started. People got dragged into fantastical discussions that got the excitement whipped up - all over a spec sheet that might wind up settling down to that of a run-of-the-mill A7R3/4 competitor. It's slightly more fishy now that expected pre-announcement leak rags are showing nothing.

Super happy to be wrong.
Please no!

Although a run-of-the-mill A7R3/4 competitor would be completely fine by me as they are super good cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Super happy to be wrong.
I have now seen the EOS R6 and IBIS in action. It's glorious.
Question is, have you seen the R5?

There are no guarantees yet, but if he claims to have seen them both, then I think there's a good chance Canon has just learned how to play things close to their chest when they want. They did the same with the R.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0