Correction: Canon is bringing us an RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

It's still a joke of an aperature. Even for a budget lens.

It's ok for many scenarios, 4ex for landscapes. At 105mm, you'll likely stop down to f10-f11 anyway. Depending on the price, size and image quality/sharpness, it may be an ok compact lens for landscapes + hiking.

Personally, when/if I've migrated to the R system, I wouldn't buy it, but you're not forced to buy it either are you? :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Personally, when/if I've migrated to the R system, I wouldn't buy it, but you're not forced to buy it either are you? :)

Indeed. I doubt I'd ever buy it, but I see the relevance and I think I see what Canon is trying to do.

People have to keep in mind that the EOS-M, especially the M50 has been a huge success and most of those lenses to go F6.3 - so is max aperture that important to those purchasers?

There is no upgrade path from EF-M to RF and Canon doesn't care - why? because the RF system will be it - from basic consumer to professional. Much like it was in film days. The EF-M system is basically advanced powershots with interchangeable lenses.

it's not a sexy lens. But there should be enough sexy lenses already in the RF mount to keep everyone occupied for another few weeks until Canon drops the hammer on this year's RF development plans (IMO).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
AGAIN.

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

wtf kind if trash aperture is that? Your going to be taking pics at iso 8000++ in the early evening to compensate for this trash aperature.

Just terrible.
I can see that such a trash aperture is very frustrating to your creative endeavors. I understand your anger. But please, don't give up! I can assure you that many excellent, prize winning images have been captured at f7.1 and higher and you will eventually be able to do it, too. Rome wasn’t built in a day. If all else fails, there’s always your smartphone.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
And now there's the price for it (at Nokishita, google-translated)

The UK price of the new Canon product is £ 819 for the “EOS 850D Body”, £ 899 for the “EOS 850D 18-55 Kit”, £ 1199 for the “EOS 850D 18-135mm Kit”, and “RF 24-105mm f / 4-7.1” The IS STM is £ 459 and the Selphy Square QX10 (Black, White, Pink, Green) is £ 139. #rumor

Not exceptionally cheap tbh.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Question: do gear-heads even take photographs? Answer: based on the comments regarding the 7.1 f stop, nope.
For decades, landscape photographers used f 8.0 as a sort of default. No problem shooting on ISO 100 film. My custom settings use 7.1 and I almost never need to change it. Literally 1000s of pics taken - even amazingly on cloudy days - at ISO 100 or 200 max. No problem. Even sunsets and in the after-glow. No problem.

Now, 7.1 may make this a no buy lens for those needing shallow DOF, but it's not an issue on a cloudy day.

It' only 395 grams. And 18.5 mm shorter than the RF version. So there are compromises. I'll take the smaller size and weight even with 7.1 every day of the week for a consumer lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And now there's the price for it (at Nokishita, google-translated)

Not exceptionally cheap tbh.

I was guessing around $399-499.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but normal currency conversions would not apply for USD asking price, correct? I always seem to be shocked that a $2000 camera in the US is £2000 or more in England.

- A

Upvote 0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but normal currency conversions would not apply for USD asking price, correct? I always seem to be shocked that a $2000 camera in the US is £2000 or more in England.

- A

ok if it's 459 USD, it'll be a bit more reasonable imho.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
Indeed. I doubt I'd ever buy it, but I see the relevance and I think I see what Canon is trying to do.

People have to keep in mind that the EOS-M, especially the M50 has been a huge success and most of those lenses to go F6.3 - so is max aperture that important to those purchasers?

There is no upgrade path from EF-M to RF and Canon doesn't care - why? because the RF system will be it - from basic consumer to professional. Much like it was in film days. The EF-M system is basically advanced powershots with interchangeable lenses.

it's not a sexy lens. But there should be enough sexy lenses already in the RF mount to keep everyone occupied for another few weeks until Canon drops the hammer on this year's RF development plans (IMO).

You're right!
The 24-205 STM lens output does not upset. Grieving for the lack of lenses for ordinary photography enthusiasts. That is, those that would harmoniously look with cameras, had decent aperture ratio (even variable), moderate size and weight.
For maniacs :) (in the good sense of the word) there are already 4 lenses! 28-70, 50 and two 85!
For pros and semi-professionals, too, 4: 15-35, 24-70, 24-105 and 70-200.
There are already 2 lenses for beginners: 24-240 and 24-105 STM ...

Where are the lenses for fans? :) conditionally, while only one! 35

Upvote 0
This is the first real "miss" I've seen from Canon in quite a while now. They've been on their game and honestly really making me regret switching from the 5Div to the A7Riv. The only problem I saw was that even though I'm jealous of the huge mount and the lenses that has been allowed by it I realize that I could only afford 2 or so of these new lenses and wouldn't have access to all the focal lengths info right now.

Hope Canon keeps knocking it out of the park I would like it come back at some point. First things first you need sigma to make lenses for these cameras that perform on par with Canon glass unlike my experience on Canon DSLRs

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If this is the kit lens for the R6, it’s definitely going to be an APS-C camera Priced below the RP.

It's *a* kit lens for RF bodies, but it might be more complicated than you think.

They are kitting it with the RP with no mention of the R6 (so far). That's somewhat odd if we expect an R6 reveal soon.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 10.43.31 PM.png

Or perhaps a 20MP x 20fps + IBIS rig will not be the lowest price point after all, and it might be kitted with the RF 24-105L. :unsure:

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 10.43.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 10.43.31 PM.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
I notice the translated section includes "#rumor" - are they treating these prices as rumours? rather than actuals?
I guess everything is 'rumour' unless it's 'news' in their twitter, but tbh I don't visit Nokishita too often. I guess the difference is that rumour is something that's not announced officially yet.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
ok if it's 459 USD, it'll be a bit more reasonable imho.
I think at $399 or $499, its still DOA as anything but a kit lens. If I want 1:2 macro, I can go buy the 35mm f/1.8 to get a decently sharp lens with versatility. And if I really want a 24-105 kit lens, I'd buy the EF 24-105 kit that routinely goes for ~$300ish, since I get a faster lens at both ends and functionally the same macro.

Only reason to give it a $499 price is to say "and we're including a $500 lens for only $200 more with the kit!", when we'll all know the lens isnt even worth $200.

The good news overall is Canon's entry stuff (24-240, 35, 24-105) has generally been a solid step up from Sonys versions (24-240 is BAD, 28 is ok, their 24-105 lacks a bit)....so maybe Canons throwaway kit wont be as bad as sonys 28-70, which is pushing unusable-levels of bad.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

- A

I'm American. I've never been to the UK, but I am told by people who have been there that the prices all "look normal" for just about anything: food, hotels, etc., regardless of the difference in exchange rate, which makes visiting there a very expensive proposition for us.

So I'm not at all surprised to read here that $2000 cameras here are £2000 there. The price, after all, looks normal to us.

Upvote 0