Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

who cares what any of these youtubers have to say, everything they tell you you can find out on our own, and what they shoot is completely irrelevant to me, I'd like to choose what I shoot and for what reason, not because a youtuber told me so. He likes sony, so what good for him. Dont take any of these guys too seriously else youre just a sheep.

Well aren't you just a ball of sunshine. We watch these fellow photographers because they are entertaining. And yes, at times they have valuable information to offer.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Reading all the rumors, I keep wondering if we will see a 5D mark V DSLR or a high MP mirrorless this year or in the case of the 5D5 (at all).

Is RF L glass that much of an improvement over EF L glass?

The L series RF primes basically destroy the L series EF primes, so . . . yeah.

Upvote 0
How about how the R came in so much lower? There are two sides to this pricing guessing game. I do not imagine it getting into the >$3999 region. $3299 is my guess as well.
I think the R came in lower because it was missing a number of key features available on more advanced bodies. Comparing the 5D IV and the R directly makes a good case for this. 5D IV was $3500 where the R was $2300. The 5D IV launched that same sensor almost 2 years earlier, came with two card slots, had more advanced weather sealing and robust constriction, a joystick, better battery life, a faster burst speed when using auto focus, and I'd argue quicker access to controls with more functions having dedicated buttons on the 5D IV.

Even on release of the R there was still good reason to choose the near 2 year old 5DIV first. Considering the rumoured R5 seems to more than bridge the gap between the R and the 5DIV - long surpassing the 5D IV, and arguably the 5DsR, and even in some respects the 1DXIII, I think this could reasonably come with some sticker shock. The Sony a9II launched at $4500, and if the specs are true, the R5 may make a convincing case as a superior sports camera - equivalent burst rates in electronic mode, and faster burst rates in mechanical, with substantially more resolution, likely a better grip, and I'll bet on Canon's weather sealing first too (though, it's all hypothetical until the R5 is announced)

You're right though, it's all a guessing game. I still think the R was (and still is) a pretty incredible deal for the price. When I bought my 5DIV, I was choosing between that and a 6DII - if the 6DII had a price bump and the 5DIV sensor, I would have probably picked that up instead, and frankly I think the R fits that niche pretty well right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I happily ditched my 5D4 for the two R's and they work spectacularly for weddings/events.

Point taken -- excuse me! I meant to say "All event/wedding folks won't just give up their mirrors..." There will be early adopters, a herd that sees where the road is going and a stubborn bunch that clings to their mirrorboxes.

Dual cards (as much as we debate that here) could be the single biggest feature that gets that camp to say 'sure, why not'.

- A

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
100% we will see a 5D5. Event/wedding folks won't just give up their mirrors and control set because Canon said so. We'll see cheaper SLR lines purged/retired/moved exclusively to mirrorless long before the 5-series is put to bed.

- A
Hopefully something to compare the 5R to would be nice.

Upvote 0
Point taken -- excuse me! I meant to say "All event/wedding folks won't just give up their mirrors..." There will be early adopters, a herd that sees where the road is going and a stubborn bunch that clings to their mirrorboxes.

Dual cards (as much as we debate that here) could be the single biggest feature that gets that camp to say 'sure, why not'.

- A

Absolutely. Looks like I'll be starting a new savings account for memory cards. These new ones don't appear to be cheap.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Absolutely. Looks like I'll be starting a new savings account for memory cards. These new ones don't appear to be cheap.
If Canon uses CFExpress in the 5R. It's very possible they will use SD II cards and people will have something new to whine about.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Having found the source, 0xxxt.com, and being from the same country as them, I'm not so sure I would go as far as 'reputable' but they are not known for making hoaxes either.
Another Frenchman (myself) agreeing with this comment from Mistral75 (gagnant?!).
Good website but not as dedicated as lesnumeriques.com

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Think of it as a spacer, not an adapter. Both ends are EOS. The RF protocol is an expanded version of the EF protocol. No EF lens loses any functionality it has on an EF camera when it is mounted on an RF camera.

True, but for some adapters still add a "not really the right lens" "yuckiness" that's hard to quantify. It's superficial but real for some. The wobble, the kludge look, the inconvenience, the hassle of not having one when you need it. But they do function fine.

Adapters are ideal for those who are looking for inexpensive (including) lenses, or to use the lenses they already own. But the need for an adapter creates resistance to purching a lens that requires it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Well, if you had the 28-70 or the 85 you would see that eergonomics of the R body could be improved.

I current have a CPS loan of the f2 and f2.8 midrange. Using on an RP but planning an R5. The f2 is a millstone, but the f2.8 feels sweet even on the RP. Fingers crossed they offer the R5 as a kit with the 2.8 ($4999?).

Upvote 0