Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just think of it as another 100-400 f5.6 with a bit of bonus reach for when conditions permit. A plus not a minus.
That’s a nice glass half full attitude. But, it’s a disappointment to those of us who want some real extra reach. f/7.1 is better suited to low resolution sensors and it’s not going to take the full advantage of high resolution ones.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Too many unknowns. I'd say 2500 / 3500 but we don't know much at all about the R6 to back up any guess of price at this point.

- A
Agreed, I can't see the R5 being more than a 5DS. At $4,000 you get close to (old) pro body pricing, and while having some pro features, it is not a pro body (at least a BIG battery and vertical controls).

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I have never been more sure about anything: it will clearly be six more 24-105 lenses.

- A

I'll take a crack at that:

24-105 F/2.8L IS - because why not
24-105 F/4L IS STM for video shooters, features an internal ND
24-105 F/2L - 10lbs, will break the mount of an RP if you don't support it
24-105 F/4L SB - New canon line featuring an internal speedbooster instead of an extender. For use with the 2x crop that the 4K120 mode will have
24-105 F4/L - Same as the current model, but no IS. Additionally disables IBIS if present. White with an EXTRA red ring so people know you're a REAL photographer who doesn't need that fancy IS
and maybe an CN-R 24-105 T/4??

I mean this is the company that currently sells no fewer than 6 70-200 lenses

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong; I'm bummed out. But I'm also a nerd about interfaces (like, have a masters in it) so I'm trying to not let this one thing overshadow what is, by all accounts, a tremendous improvement from any existing canon.

Alternately: ZOMG NERF GUN STRIKES AGAIN THEYRE DOOMED THE 8K IS PROBABLY 4 BIT 2:0:0 MJPEG

I am hard to please, irrational, and would be willing to pay 500 more, even if I never experienced AF-ON myself.

An analogy - nowadays, I am similarly upset with the strobes. Wanted some TTL one, so was looking at new Elinchrom ELB500 (as we've got ELB400, which recently broke). They have innovated by removing strap holders and hardwiring cables to the flash head, to make "life easier". I am refusing to buy it for jus this stupidity. Thought Profoto B10 might save my day - so much money they ask for, to just find out, that their air remote can't display the strobe power, nor does it offer focusing beam light.

I simply always find some parameter, which ruins it for me, while not necessarily important to others. As for the R5, I don't care about the video upon basic 4K to crop down to FHD, FHD 120 would be nice for slow-mo, but I definitely care about the advancements in focusing for stills and would hate, if it comes later with some cheapo model, while living for another 4-5 years without it on the R5 ...

Upvote 0
I'd add the lack of the new AF button from the 1DX3 as a minor disappointment, but the reality is its a lot easier to use the touch screen to move the AF points on the smaller R5 (with its big screen) than it would be possible to do on the 1DX3.

(360 video via @canonnews
)

here's a better shot of the back

deaf7891c5e16754128fe2d589162c97.png

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Sure but for what? It could be the R6 is actually ready to go, but they wanted to announce the development of the higher end model to protect sales. R6 announcement + preorder at CP+, R5 preorder a month later, ships 2 months after that.

It's also a pretty controlled release of info. Dev announcement with a few stunning features (speed, ibis, 8K) to get the hype machine going. Could explain CR guy's note about canon being annoyed—they a) wanted to control the info and b) don't want people splitting hairs about 4K modes (which will have limits)—they want people saying SONY IS DOOMED IF THEY DON'T HAVE 8K.

Alternately, they know the A7SIII is on the way and want to spoil Sony's fun. A "video focused A7S3" that only does 4K or 6K will seem wimpy right out of the gate, even if it has internal raw modes. 8>>>6!
Well, definitely spoiling any upcoming Sony or Nikons is a great strategy. It's just that Canon is making us wait a long time. And Sony/Nikon can play the same game and put out 6 month leading press releases to spoil Canon's party. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see Canon pushing innovation.... really exciting! I'm curious about the improvements in the sensor.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The Sony is nice, but I'm sure the Canon will have better optics and build. I was just hoping they'd compete directly and make a 200-600mm. Personally I prefer the internal zoom but that's a controversial topic.

I think this 100-500 is direct replacement for 100-400 and a 200-600 type lens will come later.
Just because Nikon will also have a 200-600 and that's not a high end S lens.
Although Canon never had a response for the 200-500 either.

If not, then i think the Sony 200-600 is better for me. Longer reach, brighter, internal zoom and probably cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
That’s a nice glass half full attitude. But, it’s a disappointment to those of us who want some real extra reach. f/7.1 is better suited to low resolution sensors and it’s not going to take the full advantage of high resolution ones.

Kindly put. This will be a 1.5kg ~$2500 lens. Even bumping the objective diameter by 25% and scaling the rest to get f5.6 at 500 makes this a very different lens that could be 2x the weight and 2-3x the price, approaching the 200-400 f4. But I might not be considering what you would propose for that “extra reach”.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
What do we know now:

- This is the next gen Canon MILC
- New sensor and processor
- 12/20FPS
- 8k something
- April release?
- It does NOT have the smart controller (which I thought had been rumored)

As we don't know the resolution, and we assume 45MP due to 8k, could it be that this is the 75MP sensor in a crop mode for 8k?

Doubt it, but I hope so. I will hate to wait for the RS while you all are out shooting with the R5:)

Upvote 0
why are you guys saying tony northrup is going to eat it? lol? i'm not a fan or a hater of him.... but common, they barely said anything about the body? and no info on price? and this is Canon after all... i am automatically assuming this is 8k video that has been gimped by Canon's cripple hammer until they give full details proving otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Northrup flat out said 8K was bullshit. His next videos gonna be a zinger.

To everyone complaining "we already knew that, where are the details", or "Canon are buying time" - Canon likely had this dev announcement booked in six months ago. They aren't prioritising your needs after you spoiled yourselves. They likely wanted this out early before Sony announce something for Photokina (which I when I expect we will see the R5 in the wild for the first time). Also, I cannot believe there are people already saying they feel let down by parts of it.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0