Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
With all this talk about lenses and potential camera prices, not much has been said about the sensor itself. Will it be a stacked sensor like the patent Canon published on Dec 21, 2017? The press release talks about an all new sensor (probably not just because it is likely 45 mp).
As an example the A9 has a stacked sensor that allows it to shoot 20fps.

IMO, this camera needs fast sensor readout to be competitive. It's one of the best things going for the a9 series and enables many shooters to use the electronic shutter in 90% of situations. If Canon can make this happen, too, it will be huge.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Though I like the MP numbers implied with 8k that really is the only thing I'd take from an R5 over a 1DX III.

Same. I just shoot stills. 8K only gets me excited in that it's a stills res bump for the 5D line (if you think the R5 is the mirrorless version of the 5D5, which I kinda do).

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Thickness and width matters. A wider back is more room for dedicated buttons and controls.

Speaking of controls, do we know if that's a proper 5D sized wheel or more like a 90D sized one?

- A

EXT. NIGHT - CANON HQ, JAPAN

Ahsanford is protesting. He holds a sign and SCREAMS LOUDLY, gesticulating. The sign reads "I LIKE BIG BODIES AND I CANNOT LIE."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
IMO, this camera needs fast sensor readout to be competitive. It's one of the best things going for the a9 series and enables many shooters to use the electronic shutter in 90% of situations. If Canon can make this happen, too, it will be huge.

In this thread alone, I've heard comments that the R5 has to punch its weight against both the A9 and the A7RIV.

That seems nuts. What if it is intended for neither market segment? An R1 is coming, and we presume a super high detail RF body is coming as well.

Perhaps the R5 is just the new 5D and it just needs to hold its own versus the A7III / upcoming A7IV.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
In this thread alone, I've heard comments that the R5 has to punch its weight against both the A9 and the A7RIV.

That seems nuts. What if it is intended for neither market segment? An R1 is coming, and we presume a super high detail RF body is coming as well.

Perhaps the R5 is just the new 5D and it just needs to hold its own versus the A7III / upcoming A7IV.

- A

Actually, I agree with you. I'm getting ahead of myself. You're right, this is an A7 competitor, not an A9 competitor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

- A
Yes. It is strange that people say one camera needs to punch above another camera. All it needs to do is satisfy the target demographic. There's entirely too many people that are trying to "keep up with the Jones'" that would be better off just learning how to shoot with what they already have. Specs do not a decent photo make. Can't buy talent. For some, it's all about the arms race. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
You are a well informed photographer, I gather that. So I was wondering when you posted about hoods, what are your thoughts on dealing with unwanted flare and decreased contrast? I would love if hoods were unnecessary but they also add protection which is a huge benefit in certain situations and in unfortunate accidents. I have definite and specific uses for certain lenses where I never use a hood but for more general use with the rest of my glass I usually do.
Love to hear your thoughts.

I've never had a need to use any hoods either so far with any of my lenses, and most all are EF L ones.....

I've not had a flare I didn't like....I've never contemplated needing "less" contrast in a shot...and well, I try to be careful when using them on the camera, and if something happens, well, that's what insurance is for, eh?

:)

C

• Wow
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I think it will be interesting to see how they price this in comparison to the 5DV. Do they bring it in at under the 5DV to lure more people into the R system or do they price it above the 5DV to take advantage of pent up demand and maybe also boost flagging DSLR sales? Or, do they price them exactly the same and let the market sort out which is in more demand?

I would not be surprised to see a simultaneous release of both bodies.

Personally...I don't see a "5D5 DSLR" coming to market....but that's just me.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
There's tons. I regularly find myself using the app to figure out composition when I have my 5DIV on a tripod in very low or high or leaning over a railing positions and I hate it cause it's really slow and just an overall terrible experience. And I'd say a tilty-flippy screen would help in about 60-80 percent of these situations.

What "app" are you talking about?

Upvote 0
Yes. It is strange that people say one camera needs to punch above another camera. All it needs to do is satisfy the target demographic. There's entirely too many people that are trying to "keep up with the Jones'" that would be better off just learning how to shoot with what they already have. Specs do not a decnt photo make. Can't buy talent.

But someone at Canon thinks specs are pretty important, specifically video specs, on a stills camera, no less. It seems that finally, Canon and all their infallible market wisdom have decided that 4K and now 8K video are pretty important, and they do have to compete in that arena, even on their stills bodies.

I, for one, can't wait to see how this plays out, and will be excited if the video specs actually live up to the promises. If so, I'll be absolutely delighted to buy my first Canon body in years and make use of all those EF lenses (adapted) of course. If it's good enough, I may even buy a few RF lenses, and I lot of other people will, too.

So this is a huge announcement, and not just because of the scroll wheel ;) It's going to keep a ton of people from jumping to / buying into other mirrorless systems.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I think it will be interesting to see how they price this in comparison to the 5DV. Do they bring it in at under the 5DV to lure more people into the R system or do they price it above the 5DV to take advantage of pent up demand and maybe also boost flagging DSLR sales? Or, do they price them exactly the same and let the market sort out which is in more demand?

I would not be surprised to see a simultaneous release of both bodies.

I've always loved this idea as it's a minimum buyers' remorse move.

Canon to buyer: 'Cards on the table. Here is what your price point gets for the next 3 years. Note that the next time we refresh this price point, it might only be mirrorless. CHOOSE.'

But Canon wants to sell us a 5D5 and an R5, or an R5 and another R model. So as much as I personally might want this, I don't think Canon will do it.

- A

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
And you can let the camera hang to your hip with the flip screen angled so you can see what you are shooting, then surreptitiously take street photos with a Rolleiflex type of perspective. (As long as you don't have an L-bracket on it!) :geek:

Yeah, that's the thing, I always keep an "L" bracket on my cameras...at least my 5D3 always has one on it.....RRS version.

Maybe they'll come up with some sort of new L bracket that works with this R5 tilty-flippy....

I hope so, because I love having my L bracket to go back and forth from tripod, to mono pod, to even my motion controlled set ups, in either landscape/format as needed, with a quick release arca Swiss type clamping system.....

If it doesn't allow for flippy screen movement, I guess I'll just bear with it, but I'd hate not being able to use something they give me, but "L" bracket is much higher on my priority list of things used to date.

C

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So this is a huge announcement, and not just because of the scroll wheel ;) It's going to keep a ton of people from jumping to / buying into other mirrorless systems.

Which is exactly why we got this nutty announcement with some-but-not-all details and a creepy 'Nooooo we're not blowing smoke about the R5 -- SEE? HERE IS A 3D RENDERING. IT'S SO REAL. COMING AT SOME POINT. STUDY THIS INCESSANTLY INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO SONY'S IMMINENT ANNOUNCEMENT.'

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Thought this was a fair take article and makes good points.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Would you actually shoot in 8K? I guess there may be SOME instances where you want (for example) a landscape pan or something where you really want to milk every bit of detail and then you compress it to 4k or 1080p in post, but I can't ever see myself just shooting in 8K routinely if not hardly ever. My head is spinning just imaging the data file sizes for 1 min of 24p video. It's great Canon is doing it, because it opens the doors for other specs that are much more usable (like 4k120).
No I would never shoot 8k, I only mentioned 8k because that dictates a >40mp sensor. I use 20mp sensors and am quite happy to stitch landscapes when I want more MP and an effective larger sensor, what that doesn't give me is more detail in one shot for moving subjects.

I don't do much video at all but what little I have done the end user specified 1080, so as far as I am concerned even 4k is overkill.

Upvote 0
I am curious about just one useful feature that I saw on the EOS R but hasn't been mentioned concerning the EOS R5.

The sensor cover. :unsure:

Something like that could potentially be implemented with software, if it doesn't ship with the camera. I agree, that's one of my favorite things about the R.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
How is this difference obvious to you? Have you seen the two models side-by-side, or done a tear-down? Among others in my Canon collection are an M5 and a 5D IV. I don't see any difference between the two in fit and finish. I'm sure the 5D is designed to take more punishment, but I've been dragging the little M5 through swamp, field, and forest in nature photography for nearly two years and it shows no signs of deterioration.
I couldn't say because it's not my quote!

Upvote 0