Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
14 and 24 make a lot of sense, but part of me wonders if there was any truth to the thought of creating an f/2 trinity of zooms and the 28-70 will see a wider and a longer sibling. 14-28 f/2? Count me in!

If we get an f/2 zoom trinity before a 50 prime that lives somewhere between crappy plastic cheapness and a lead pipe priced as gold, I'm gonna lose it.

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The 135L doesn't sell well because:
  • It's 24 years old and what was once famously sharp is no longer
  • It does not have IS
  • It's only a stop faster than a 70-200 2.8
  • Canon's 70-200 2.8s are pretty damn legendary
Only the last bullet point may be true on RF. If they made one -- I'm no champion of wanting this, I'm just saying -- it would either have IS, be faster than f/2 or both.

Just consider an exotic tele prime that Canon might offer. Mitakon pulled off a limited run 135 f/1.4 for Sony, Nikon still makes the 105 f/1.4 for F mount, and Canon's 200 f/2L IS (and f/1.8L before it) is pretty damn sweet even if it does cost a mint:

I think there's *a* prime lens in a 100-200 range there in RF's future. Why not the 135?

- A
When I wrote 135 I meant that focal length, not the EF. I totally get all your points. The RF version might be a hot seller.Dunno. I just don't think the other brands who do that mm are top sellers. It's no portrait king ala 85

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If we get an f/2 zoom trinity before a 50 prime that lives somewhere between crappy plastic cheapness and a lead pipe priced as gold, I'm gonna lose it.

- A
I'm sure! And I will remember this exchange for that day if it comes!

I don't know though - I would have expected a faster 35mm over an 85 DS last year, but here we are. It seems to me that every year they mix the releases between some high-end workhorse glass, some cheaper glass, and something new/different. By that release pattern, I could see them going to an f/2 trinity before replicating the 50 at a more reasonable cost/size/speed.

Then again, no-one saw 8K coming so who knows what they'll do next.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
In the scenario being discussed, aren't we talking about deleting images to make more room on a card? Doesn't that infer that the card is at near capacity?
And who exactly do you think I added the stuff in the parentheses for?

The alternative to writing these images "slowly" is not writing them "quickly", but not writing them at all.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
14 and 24 make a lot of sense, but part of me wonders if there was any truth to the thought of creating an f/2 trinity of zooms and the 28-70 will see a wider and a longer sibling. 14-28 f/2? Count me in!

I want to be committed to shooting primes from now on, but damn if a 14-28 f/2 wouldn't be tempting.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Nearly perfect design in my opinion :) Only thing I would have wished for: the power-on-off-switch on the top left is pretty much a waste of space. They could have put a classic mode dial there. And the power-switch could be at the shutter , which is the best place to put it, like Nikon and Panasonic do. ALso the screen looks a bit small (the actualy screen, not the blat matte in this image. Its seen in the 360° video that its smaller then the whole area).

Other than that, its perfect :) I am happy to see a dedicated rating button, something very importang in my opinion. Also so silly touch bar :) just an awesome button layout =)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
When I wrote 135 I meant that focal length, not the EF. I totally get all your points. The RF version might be a hot seller.Dunno. I just don't think the other brands who do that mm are top sellers. It's no portrait king ala 85
The RF 85 is the first 85 I have ever owned. Fantastic lens. I have 6x 135mm primes. That’s my favorite focal length for portraits. I just sold my RF 50 so I’ll be ready with $ for an eventual RF 135. I understand I am probably an outlier, but that would be my most prized lens. Really miss my EF 135mm f/2.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No I would never shoot 8k, I only mentioned 8k because that dictates a >40mp sensor. I use 20mp sensors and am quite happy to stitch landscapes when I want more MP and an effective larger sensor, what that doesn't give me is more detail in one shot for moving subjects.

I don't do much video at all but what little I have done the end user specified 1080, so as far as I am concerned even 4k is overkill.

Hate to burst your bubble guys, but people do shoot in 6K and 8K and it will only become more prevalent in the next few years. I just shot a project in 8K myself on RED and the amount of flexibility you have in post with the footage is truly astounding. It will soon be to 4K what 4K was and is to 1080 today.

Does this need to be on a stills camera? With the new crop of 6K video-centric MILCs coming (the Fuji X-T4 will likely be 6K, the A7SIII will be at least 6K, etc.), yes, having 8K as a marketing spec will help Canon's sales immensely.

Photographers may not want it but video is important and it is happening.

• Love
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
The current EOS R was dead on arrival!

It simply does not compare to the others in its price range. Like the A7III. The Sony came with IBIS, dual slots, uncropped 4k and extensive lense range.

But it’s all relative, if the EOS R were $1300-$1400, then I’d say it’s priced correctly. To compete with higher end APS-C like the X-T3.

The people that bought it at +$2000 I weep for them. They were definitely drinking the Canon koolaid.

Hopefully with the EOS R6 we see them compete in that $2000 range better. And EOS R drops down in the $1400 range with the RP in the $1000 range.
Yup, the EOS R wasn't brilliant on launch and still has its weaknesses but after the firmware upgrades, its actually a pretty decent camera.

Just hoping they don't price the EOS R5 out of reach for us mere mortals!

Upvote 0
I keep scratching my head with something about the specs...

Before go on let me just say that for me it´s the same that this "spec" is there or not, I don´t care, I will buy the camera anyway. But let´s talk about the 8k in EOS R5. Something that Canon wrote in the development announcement got my attention. They said that: "...still images from video footage as well as process 8K video into higher-quality 4K video". So what I understand is that Canon EOS r5 process 8k image into a high quality 4k? So....This is an 8k image oversampled to 4k, like the Sony cameras that have 6k video oversampled to 4k? Is that it?? So if it is that, there will be NOT 8k25fps (pal region), but instead an 8k image oversampled to 4k video. So it´s not quite 8k...:)

Probably I am wrong but that´s my understanding about statement!

But what bothers me THE MOST is: "still images from video footage!" DAMN I totally HOPE they dont use that crappy MJPEG codec again!!!!

Any thoughts on this?

Oversampling 8K for 4K video and shooting 8K video are not mutually exclusive. When canon says it's an 8K camera, they mean it's an 8K video output. For example, the EOS C100 II cinema camera has a 4K Super35 sensor that outputs ONLY 1080P. They call that camera 1080p only, not 4K.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Trade price of the R: That will fall deep. Future bodies will have IBIS and one without will not be competitive. However, the R is a great camera that can be kept as backup body.
It seems to me that having IBIS in the body is preferable to not having it but in all honesty unless its video or long lens use, the IBIS in the RF lenses is pretty good and the in body IBIS will be tuned more for Pro's .

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hate to burst your bubble guys, but people do shoot in 6K and 8K and it will only become more prevalent in the next few years. I just shot a project in 8K myself on RED and the amount of flexibility you have in post with the footage is truly astounding. It will soon be to 4K what 4K was and is to 1080 today.

Does this need to be on a stills camera? With the new crop of 6K video-centric MILCs coming (the Fuji X-T4 will likely be 6K, the A7SIII will be at least 6K, etc.), yes, having 8K as a marketing spec will help Canon's sales immensely.

Photographers may not want it but video is important and it is happening.
You aren’t bursting my bubble, but clearly you can’t read. I was asked if I personally would use 8k, the answer to that, however much you might like to think you know better, is no I won’t. I have no doubt some might but I can’t answer for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
It seems to me that having IBIS in the body is preferable to not having it but in all honesty unless its video or long lens use, the IBIS in the RF lenses is pretty good and the in body IBIS will be tuned more for Pro's .

Not really:
IBIS (in body):
- generates sigificant heat and costs significant battery energy
- the correction has limits as the sensor is only moved a few pixel distances in each direction
IS (lens):
- costs less power
- has far more correction capabilities than IBIS
- particulaly powerful also for long focal length lenses whereas IBIS is mainly good for wide angle lenses but l8mited for long focal lengths.

Best is if IBIS and IS work together.

Upvote 0
I stopped doing it a long time ago after accidentally deleting some images I didn't realize were not "protected" and then using the card and overwriting some of them. Luckily, I was able to recover the ones that did not get overwritten, which was most of them.

For me there's just too much risk of accidentally deleted something unintentionally. I never delete anything until it's been backed up first.
I do a lot of deleting in camera after a day’s shoot. For BIF type shooting there are a lot of frames either out of focus, poor exposure with blown highlights, part of bird cut off, or lousy composition or background. I toss these immediately. Many more get tossed when I get to the computer. Never had any regrets. For landscapes, I usually keep all until I cull at the computer.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

Yes, there was pretty firm "agreement" in the rumor community that Canon is working on an f/2 non-IS trinity: Besides the 28-70 that we have, there is a patent on a 14-28. Then there were also rumors on a 70-135.
Anyway, I am a big fan of non-IS lenses since IS costs one stop (most of my work is low light). Now with IBIS, all the premium RF lenses have access to image stabilization ;-)

I hope 2020 is the year to complete the f/2 trinity!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I want to be committed to shooting primes from now on, but damn if a 14-28 f/2 wouldn't be tempting.

I dunno. Filtering UWA is a big deal for me and around 14-15mm the filter ring tends to disappear -- fine for astro but problematic for other groups of shooters. They could pull a Nikkor Z 14-30 f/4 and put a step up frame around the front element and keep a filter ring, I guess, but at f/2 one imagines that lens would be 11-24L big and heavy.

Also, with fast UWA lenses, you tend to have a choice of a front filter ring OR manageable vignetting. The last two 16ish-35 mm f/2.8 lenses Canon produced were hall of fame vignetters presumably because Canon didn't want a more bulbous (and filter problematic) front element.

To me, and perhaps I have this wrong, but UWA + fast usually ends in sadness for one of the various camps of shooters -- daylight landscapers, astro folks and sports folks. Since the front-filtering crowd was supported with the 15-35, perhaps the 14-28 f/2 would just give up on that and go all mega-bulbous and delight the astro folks.

- A

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The RF 85 is the first 85 I have ever owned. Fantastic lens. I have 6x 135mm primes. That’s my favorite focal length for portraits. I just sold my RF 50 so I’ll be ready with $ for an eventual RF 135. I understand I am probably an outlier, but that would be my most prized lens. Really miss my EF 135mm f/2.

$800 or so and you and your lost love could be reunited. Canon refurbs sell out quickly, but they are out there occasionally.

Also, now that mirrorless unlocks the MF assist door, the Sigma 135 f/1.8 Art is supposed to split atoms if you don't mind 3rd party.

- A

Upvote 0
In the scenario being discussed, aren't we talking about deleting images to make more room on a card? Doesn't that infer that the card is at near capacity?
Not necessarily. I will delete images during a lull while in the field whatever the fullness of the memory card. Same when I return to hotel room.

Upvote 0