The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I agree partly, yes I still think they will come out with a 1D type full grip camera but this for me is NOT a 5D replacement, its entirely new.

If you look at the 5D line it has very incremental steps, this camera is leaps ahead of the current 5D. I have owned all the 5D line from the beginning.
Its going from,
7fps to 12/20fps
30mp to 45mp (rumored)

this is a huge jump and I'm all for it but its not a 5D replacement, its way above that in my opinion
It’s a 5D replacement that 5D IV should have been :) it is2020. Tech has advanced, market has evolved and Canon have embraced competition (finally)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
The entire R concept is meant to be a huge leap ahead.
Canon is flexing design muscle again.
The 5 equates with the 5D or R5 in that it is not a 1 series.
It is a level we all understand.
Who knows the 1 series might make your popcorn, do post processing and kiss your wife goodnight for you. :LOL:
In other words it might just totally blow the doors off the competition as the EF 1 series did for decades.
Tiny bit correction: The concept of pro-level mirrorless was not born in 2018 w/ the EOS R, it started w/ the 7D era (approx 2012) w/ the DPAF in Liveview. Like many are uttering, I wish the R5 will make the 1DXiii obsolete in July 2020. The R5 should be a significant incremental improvement to the 5D but w/o the mirror box.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics. Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF, it will not work well for sports. Unless it can somehow focus while recording 8k video, it will not work well for sports. For ceremonies, or other more static situations it should be great, but for most of the action, not so much.

Does anyone know of pro sports shooters who use MILC bodies for action?
Why no sense for Olympics?? Strange comment!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Thinking about it, it makes no sense at all for you to judge the suitability of the R5 for any purpose. You haven’t used one, haven’t seen one, and don’t even have complete specs.

I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb here and say he hasn't shot the Olympics with anything else, either.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Since the 5Dii and 7D era, those were considered professional/consumer (ie prosumer) level, and the 1D is strictly professional level product segment. How Canon structure their product, calling it prosumer or pro, can be different than how we perceive it. So the R5 should be called as prosumer because it's using the same battery power as the 5D w/ only two li-ion cells.

Canon has called the five series "professional" in some world regions while not calling it "professional" in other world regions. That kind of thing is all up to the marketing departments in each subsidiary.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Might not be 1DX specs but Canon is officially calling R5 "A professional full frame mirrorless flagship camera".

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r5/

That raises tons of questions. Will R1 also be a flagship camera? Can there be two flagships? Or R5 will stop being a flagship when they release R1?
Also they say subscribe and "Be the first to receive the latest updates on the EOS R5 and the new RF Lenses". Should I subscribe to official Canon or stay here on CanonRumors??

Upvote 0
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics. Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF, it will not work well for sports. Unless it can somehow focus while recording 8k video, it will not work well for sports. For ceremonies, or other more static situations it should be great, but for most of the action, not so much.

Does anyone know of pro sports shooters who use MILC bodies for action?

I'm not a pro sports shooter, but the R already works incredibly well for birbs. AF is faster and better than any other DSLR I've used. If they reduce the lag in the R5's EVF, then I'll use it for action over a DSLR every single time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I think you're looking at this with some seriously rose tinted glasses. I find it hard to believe that Canon has very much stock built up for a camera that's still several months from release. Also generally the way stuff gets manufactured now with just in time component deliveries to the plant, they don't "build up" a stock of components before something gets made. It's a financial liability to set on a bunch of expensive parts months before you actually build a product. Parts are normally delivered to the factory very shortly before they're actually used to build a camera.

I also don't think Canon will release the camera until they have a good stock of them built up. They aren't going to release the camera with only a very limited supply to sell to people. As soon as the camera is released, people will be looking towards how many Canon has been able to sell to judge if the camera is a success or not. And not having enough stock on hand is a good way for Canon to look very bad from several angles, ie they can't build cameras quickly enough, also the impression that no one is buying their new camera, and finally unhappy customers waiting forever on their preorder. Releasing a camera before you have sufficient stock built up is a recipe for disaster.

The argument you just gave about having sufficient stock on hand is exactly why they will begin building inventory several months before a worldwide rollout. JIT is extremely important in todays manufacturing world, but you are looking through rose colored glasses if you think that type of control/ process is in place on day 1 of a launch. You usually start out with a build of of initial stock, followed by ordinary manufacturing run rate and a refinement of ordering and delivery process. It is expensive to hold components inventory, but it is even more expensive to disrupt a production line because of lack of components. Counting on a JIT delivery of components in with a new production line for an initial launch would be a disaster if even one component was not available for assembly. I had oversight of a sensor fab that produced sensors for several camera brands you would recognize (not Canon) that required their initial production order of sensors 1 - 2 quarters (3-6 months) before their launch. I can't say this is how Canon handles their launches, but it is not unusual in the industry.

And yes, I do have rose colored glasses on because I want this camera in my hands prior to August.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I was initially curious when I heard about the R5. Surely Canon weren't giving up their old ways of selling overpriced outdated technology, were they ? I will reserve final judgment until the product hits the shelves, but knowing Canon I am going to make a prediction. The 8k gimmick, much like their high megapixel still cameras gimmick, will be about masking their lousy codec. The video quality will not be up to par with their cinemas EOS line which itself is below industry par (Panasonic). You will get a camera that looks good on paper but overall unsatisfying. We will see.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The 5D has always been the professionals workhorse do it all, take it anywhere camera. Not the 1dx. Its simply not the take everywhere camera.

Not always. Far from it.

Until the 5D Mark III and 1D X introductions in 2012, the 1-Series was the undisputed king of Canon's lines.

The original 5D was more like the original 6D - a budget FF camera with only bare bones features. It wasn't quite a FF "Rebel", but other than the FF sensor it was a lot more like the Rebels than the 1D series at the time.

The 5D Mark II had great IQ and introduced the "video in a DSLR" revolution, but the resolution was still ever so slightly lower than the contemporary 1Ds Mark III. The 1Ds Mark III had a pro-grade AF system, while the 5D Mark II had an AF system no better than the 30D and the Rebel XTi/400D.

The 5D series has continued to increase in resolution and taken over the role of the 1Ds bodies since that line was dropped with the introduction of the 1D X, while the 1D X series has continued the role of the 1D bodies.

Upvote 0
I was initially curious when I heard about the R5. Surely Canon weren't giving up their old ways of selling overpriced outdated technology, were they ? I will reserve final judgment until the product hits the shelves, but knowing Canon I am going to make a prediction. The 8k gimmick, much like their high megapixel still cameras gimmick, will be about masking their lousy codec. The video quality will not be up to par with their cinemas EOS line which itself is below industry par (Panasonic). You will get a camera that looks good on paper but overall unsatisfying. We will see.
Well, the opposite ended up being true with the EOS R. It looked bad on paper but ended up being pretty good to shoot with.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Which would you pick:

1. a bada** pro photog with a prosumer camera; or
2. a lifetime noob photog w/ a pro camera?

The point is, does it really matter what Canon classified the camera as?!? I bet you got some bada** gears.

This is what I was questioning and what I quoted from you:
So the R5 should be called as prosumer because it's using the same battery power as the 5D w/ only two li-ion cells.

Try to keep up. What gear you or I have has nothing to do with your line of logic.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I find it hard to believe that Canon has very much stock built
up for a camera that's still several months from release.

Canon has a long track record in doing this. Back in 1985,
they built all the T90 ever sold within only three months in
a single production run and then sold it over a five year timespan.

They subsequently perfected this, and only once miscalculated,
when they ran out of stock for the D60 before the 10D was
ready to ship.

The 5D Mk4 started shipping after 2.400.00 copies preproduced.

Looking at the fact that many R5 across the globe are now
in news embargoed hands of ambassadors, journalists and
influencers, they are for sure running production at maximum warp.

And they will have enough parts sourced for that in advance.
After all, they are the only camera maker who can afford this
without risking to implode.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
That raises tons of questions. Will R1 also be a flagship camera? Can there be two flagships? Or R5 will stop being a flagship when they release R1?
Also they say subscribe and "Be the first to receive the latest updates on the EOS R5 and the new RF Lenses". Should I subscribe to official Canon or stay here on CanonRumors??
In a corporate marketing department, many things are possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why no sense for Olympics?? Strange comment!
The other problem with the argument is that there are far more people buying these cameras (1DX mark III, R5, etc) that are not professionals at all. Canon having these things at the Olympics is pure marketing. I'll never figure out why people draw the conclusion that professional sports shooters are hefting the whole camera/lens industry upon their shoulders. They just are not. The R5 at the Olympics makes complete sense.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
@Canon Rumors Guy has clearly not looked at the official Canon website...
Canon Inc. announces the development of the EOS R5. A professional full frame mirrorless flagship camera offering photographers and filmmakers a host of ground-breaking new features.

Clearly this is intended to be a “professional”, “flagship” body.

Upvote 0