The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Feb 22, 2019
I think there is a very strong possibility that the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak. The photo shows have been cancelled and Olympics are potentially a much bigger problem. It's likely even if it is contained in China, and there's a strong chance it won't be, there will be more cases internationally.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I just watched a video where an "explorer of light" for Canon was shooting this along with a fellow from DP Review (video found there) with the 1DX Mk iii at a ranch in south Texas from blinds - he had his on a tripod with a gimbal head and a 600mm f4.0L IS II and tried out the liveview shooting mode for the 20 frames/second and was very impressed with what the camera was capturing and the overall hit-rate for frames in focus. He felt the hit-rate much better than his 1DX Mk ii, adding that he was not complaining about his Mk ii, just impressed with the in-focus hit-rate of his new Mk III.
Reviewers complaining about the 20 frames/second but only in live-view apparently were not considering/thinking about shooting from a tripod and/or monopod set up where you only have to have one hand to hold/control the camera...

Most of us have probably seen that video, and the examples certainly look very good in it, but one must also realize it was a video whose production was sponsored by Canon, and thus certain limits were put on what he could and could not say (as per the agreement anyone with a pre-release copy to test also signs).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You may have watched The Matrix too many times ;) I've been in a large number of electronics factories and warehouses over recent years, and never seen product plugged into the mainframe in massive volumes.

They wouldn't be plugged in in massive quantities, they'd just come down the conveyor, get plugged in and the file would be downloaded and flashed, then the next would come down the conveyor and the same plug would plug into the next one... There might be a few stations so that multiple copies are done at the same time, but there would be absolutely no need to do them all simultaneously.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It may not be impossible, but it's a heck of a lot, even for Canon, for one particular model in one particular division. I'm not saying its not true, but I'd join with those expressing interest in seeing the source of that 'statistic' (which I appreciate wasn't one you posted).
Cheers

I doubt Canon does it on the same scale they did with the T90 back in the day, which did only have a single production run, but based on what a lot of us hear, they still do batches in bulk, especially for product introductions. They realize more than most consumer electronic companies that impulse sales are most likely when the new model has just been introduced and that the longer a product is on the market, the less attractive it is to impulse buyers.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Hey, hey! This is the video I referenced in a reply to an earlier comment in this thread. I thought this was a great video to show how effective and realistic shooting with the 1DX Mk iii in LiveView could be.

When I watched listened to Northrup and Polin both 'decrying' the LiveView shooting mode (frames/sec & autofocusing) they were both, I felt, scoffing at anyone actually trying to shoot this way - by holding the heavy camera/lens out at "arms length". I thought at the time they were both disingenuous with their comments. I thought, this would be a fantastic feature for someone shooting the type of sports/wildlife etc. where you know where the action is and where to set up your tripod/monopod to be capture the action...

I think they both have some 'serious skin in the game' now with Sony so I took their early looks with a grain of salt...

I don't know which "Fro" video you saw, but in the one I saw he was practically drooling all over the thing wanting to keep it instead of having to send it back (it was a reviewer loaner from Canon). He seemed practically ready to go back to Canon immediately in anticipation of the first mirrorless body with the same technology via an EVF as the Live View on the 1D X Mark III has.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Because smaller equipment can't do the same job. Those pesky laws of physics.
Hmm when thinking you got 1dx3 and 500mm f4 and M camera with 200mm F1,4 , their view field is about same and reach .
About light sensitivity crop sensor is 1,5 stop weaker but larger F number would compensate it when you can use 2 stop smaller iso.
I know 200mm f1,4 is hard to make for full frame but for crop it could be lot easier.
You dont need get minituarizion even phone camera level to get 1dx3 equal M camera. Olympus seems doing ok even with lot less design resources than canon.
And you dont need lens IS for action shooting ,ibis is enough for that work. So no needing extra pins
Sorry if i use wrong terms ,my word memory isnt always working good.
Just saying R sport camera isnt 100% sure ,mirrorless revolution gives opportunity for big changes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Hmm when thinking you got 1dx3 and 500mm f4 and M camera with 200mm F1,4 , their view field is about same and reach .
About light sensitivity crop sensor is 1,5 stop weaker but larger F number would compensate it when you can use 2 stop smaller iso.
I know 200mm f1,4 is hard to make for full frame but for crop it could be lot easier.
You dont need get minituarizion even phone camera level to get 1dx3 equal M camera. Olympus seems doing ok even with lot less design resources than canon.
And you dont need lens IS for action shooting ,ibis is enough for that work. So no needing extra pins
Sorry if i use wrong terms ,my word memory isnt always working good.
Just saying R sport camera isnt 100% sure ,mirrorless revolution gives opportunity for big changes.

The Canon EF-M cameras have 1.6X APS-C sensors, so to get the same angle of view as a FF with a 500mm f/4, one must use a 315mm lens. If one wants the same DoF at the same distance, one must use f/3.1. Have you priced a 300mm f/2.8 lately? Have you weighed it? For that matter, have you priced a 200mm f/2?

Even a Micro Four-Thirds camera would need a 250mm f/2 lens to get the "equivalent" shot as a 500mm f/4 on FF.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
The Canon EF-M cameras have 1.6X APS-C sensors, so to get the same angle of view as a FF with a 500mm f/4, one must use a 315mm lens. If one wants the same DoF at the same distance, one must use f/3.1. Have you priced a 300mm f/2.8 lately? Have you weighed it? For that matter, have you priced a 200mm f/2?

Even a Micro Four-Thirds camera would need a 250mm f/2 lens to get the "equivalent" shot as a 500mm f/4 on FF.
Yep i was lazy to count right numbers ,told just about aproximately :p
Many bird shooter seems to like new olympus and 300f4. canon with canon lens making skills could make lot better.
Still 300mm f2,8 is more agile to use than 500f4

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yep i was lazy to count right numbers ,told just about aproximately :p
Many bird shooter seems to like new olympus and 300f4. canon with canon lens making skills could make lot better.
Still 300mm f2,8 is more agile to use than 500f4

300mm f/4 on an MFT body equates to a 600mm f/8 on FF body.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with that; makes for entertainment in a time of anticipation. But I didn't build my very successful career on semi-educated guesses!

View attachment 188858
I don't suppose you believe that participation in a photography rumour forum web site is someones career, including myself. This is a rumor webs site. we cannot be certain of things here.. Now, being a CIA asset, you would have no trouble to get a background on what my day job is, experience, competencies and skills.
Personally, I believe that you should not be publicly vocal about who do you work for. My employer certainly would not appreciate me doing that. Aren't you under a confidentiality agreement of some sort? You just made a direct association of yourself as in your personal life with your employer and you did not have to.
I personally believe, that you should remove the photo from the post. This is isn't strictly appropriate place for this.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
in what way? exposure certainly is not sensor size related.

I mean my Sekonic light meter does not give a hoot what camera is in my hands or even what focal range of the lens that is attached to that camera.
all i need to know is ISO and F-number and/ or Shutter speed.
Bokeh? yes, I get that.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I mean my Sekonic light meter does not give a hoot what camera is in my hands or even what focal range of the lens that is attached to that camera.

Bokeh? yes, I get that.
A viewer also doesn't give a hoot what the exposure settings of an image are.

The image quality matters, and part of that is how prominent noise appears. A property called Signal to Noise ratio, which is also equivalent between the scenarios Michael mentioned.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
So only reason olympus isnt 1d serie cameras killer ,they lack knowledge about making wider lense?
Maybe thats why we never see good crop tele lense. Canon never going to teatch MFT league how to make good teles,or they are doomed :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
So only reason olympus isnt 1d serie cameras killer ,they lack knowledge about making wider lense?
Maybe thats why we never see good crop tele lense. Canon never going to teatch MFT league how to make good teles,or they are doomed :p
Has Canon ever managed to make a 300/2.0 lens, though (required to be an equivalent to 600/4 here)? I thought, only Nikon was making them.

Upvote 0