Post Your Best Landscapes

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I brushed the dust off my EOS 1NHS, loaded it with Ilford Pan F and stuck the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 SP on to see how it worked on the 1997 era camera. Worked perfect ! Says a lot for the sustainability of the EF mount. Two shots, one a three frame pano looking down into Little Thornwick Bay on the East coast of England, and the second a single frame looking North up the East coast and Bempton cliffs, famous for their sea birds and Puffins.

Attachments

• Little Thornwick pano 2.jpg
    Little Thornwick pano 2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Bempton Cliffs.jpg
    Bempton Cliffs.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sporgon.
A couple of very evocative shots, film b&w seems to be so much more then a converted digital shot.

Cheers, Graham.

I brushed the dust off my EOS 1NHS, loaded it with Ilford Pan F and stuck the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 SP on to see how it worked on the 1997 era camera. Worked perfect ! Says a lot for the sustainability of the EF mount. Two shots, one a three frame pano looking down into Little Thornwick Bay on the East coast of England, and the second a single frame looking North up the East coast and Bempton cliffs, famous for their sea birds and Puffins.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hi Sporgon.
A couple of very evocative shots, film b&w seems to be so much more then a converted digital shot.

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks Graham ! In my case the jury is still out on 35mm B&W film against digital. I need to spend some time doing comparisons. The film can't compete in resolution and clarity but then that's not always what a picture is about !

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Sure digital has film beat on so many levels, but I guess the organic nature of film is what gives it the look.
Maybe it is just nostalgia talking, dad took quite a lot of b&w slides, every so often I load a cassette and run it through the projector.

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham ! In my case the jury is still out on 35mm B&W film against digital. I need to spend some time doing comparisons. The film can't compete in resolution and clarity but then that's not always what a picture is about !

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Sure digital has film beat on so many levels, but I guess the organic nature of film is what gives it the look.
Maybe it is just nostalgia talking, dad took quite a lot of b&w slides, every so often I load a cassette and run it through the projector.

Cheers, Graham.

Would that be Agfa DiaDirect ? Probably one of the finest grained films ever. 12 ASA I think it was. It scans really well !
Digital may give 35mm film a beating but 120 6x7 is another matter. I'm going to stick some Tri X in my Pentax 67 and see how it compares with the 5DS. Watch this space ;)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
With all the talk of a 150mp camera here's a 150mp panoramic taken on the East Coast of England at Thornwick Bay. An obliging Cormorant sat on a rock on the right for me. I almost felt like AlanF :)

Attachments

• Thornwick Cormorant-small.jpg
    Thornwick Cormorant-small.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Another very nice picture, Sporgon.
Many thanks click ! To get to this hidden cove without having to wade into the sea I had to go through this small sea arch. If you look closely you can see The Witch of Thornwick making a return clutching her baby. I hope it's not a bad omen for the future !
I thought I'd also attach a shot taken further out, looking down the Bempton Cliffs which are some of the highest chalk cliffs in England, about the same height as The White Cliffs of Dover, but considerably smaller than Beachy Head. Names you may have heard of !
All taken on MF B&W film.

Attachments

• 20380010.jpg
    20380010.jpg
    881.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Bempton Cliffs pano small.jpg
    Bempton Cliffs pano small.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Well with the world issues that we have with the coronavirus pandemic it looks like it's going to be both a tough and boring few months for everybody. Just before the police decided that exercising the dog didn't include going anywhere in a car I snuck out to Bempton Cliffs at 5 in the morning to get a shot of the sunrise on the cliffs. Actually the sun was more in my face than I had anticipated from looking at my sun compass, but I still got the sort of image that I was hoping for. The 5DS coped easily with the DR of the scene despite shooting straight into the rising sun which was about fifteen minutes after breaking the horizon. I lifted the highlights a fair bit in post to get the effect that I wanted, so the pressure there is not from limitations of the sensor.

At this time of the year the Bempton Cliffs have the most remarkable amount of seabirds nesting and breeding - millions of them ! As the sun rose and they began to fly out the air was thick with them. There were a few puffins that I was pleased to see, lower down the cliff in the picture and I've attached a 100% crop of the image to show them. Considering this is the very edge of the frame I think the EF 35/2 IS did pretty well, although it was tripod mounted with no IS on. Tech details are 5DS with EF 35/2 IS, 100 ISO, 1/125 and f/8.

The bit of headland jutting out at the top of the image on the horizon is Thornwick Bay, and the second picture is of the Thornwick caves. This was shot on MF film, Kodak Tri X, Pentax 67, 75 f/4.5 lens with an orange filter. One of these caves just around the headland opens out into a massive hollow under the headland the size of a cathedral ! I must try to get some shots in there some time, though time is limited due to the tides. In fact I had tallied too long when taking the caves and other shots round this headland as the tide was coming in faster than I had anticipated, and I ended up having to climb up some steep rocks to get back the way I'd come, lugging heavy film equipment and tripod in the process. Fortunately there was no one about to see me looking stupid.

Hoping that all friends and associates on CR will take care and keep safe during this difficult time !

Attachments

• _MGL5835-5.jpg
    _MGL5835-5.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 205
  • _MGL583 100% crop.jpg
    _MGL583 100% crop.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 07110005B&W small.jpg
    07110005B&W small.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 183
  • Love
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sporgon.
Lovely shots, those puffins have picked (or been forced to use) a very narrow ledge!
I went out on the Sunday before the lockdown (after the social distancing started) to East Cowes seafront (a very quiet dead end road just down the road from home), grabbed a body and lens and legged it down on to the mud / sand and walked along all on my own, I was watching the people on the pavements, most were crossing over and walking round others with a wide berth, the ones who weren’t?
The little old ladies with their dogs, all stopping and chatting, and fussing each other’s dogs! Mind blown emoji needed!
Before ending up just down the road I tried some other ”remote” locations, there were more cars there than any three days from the last summer added together!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hi Sporgon.
Lovely shots, those puffins have picked (or been forced to use) a very narrow ledge!
Cheers, Graham.

Many thanks Graham. The puffins are only small, about 30cm tall I think so they probably can't throw their weight about like the others when it comes to getting the best spots.Those Ganets are huge ! Where they are leads to a thin crevasse in the cliff, and it may have been a "blow hole" in past ages which then collapses in on itself. Apparently this is where the puffins breed.

Look after yourself and stay safe.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
A couple of panoramics and a single frame image, all shot on Canon 5DS with EF 35mm f/2 IS. One of these I have posted here before but realised that I'd put up an unedited image, so here's the real thing, albeit a small file. ;) Heading up to the Lake District again soon; looks like thundery weather so who knows what might happen:)

Attachments

• 000081370004-Pano-3.jpg
    000081370004-Pano-3.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 163
  • _MGL4834-final.jpg
    _MGL4834-final.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0