Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Lots of assumptions being made here... What if the sensor doesn't even use DPAF, for example? There's so much we don't know—I wouldn't get your hopes up too high before we get it in our hands.
At this point in the announcement timeline, we've got very little to work with so assumptions are perfectly natural on a rumors site. How that is a surprise is beyond me.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
It is pretty much the same conceptual layout design as the 5D:

1. joystick - exist; improved location
2. AF-on - improved location
3. dial wheel - exist
4. programmable button between grip and lens mount - exist
5. two cards; CF and SD types
6. even the shutter button looks exactly like the 5D (R and RP does not)

I prefer the screen is fixed because I don't like moving parts, risk to failure.

I miss the dual function buttons that the 5D series has on top. I wish the R had it, and I was hoping the R5 would get it. Without them I will more often do several button pushes, or go into the menus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don’t see why 7k is reasonable based on what we know So far.
Let’s see what the final specs are but the price range for a new 5D mark sounds right

QUOTE="peters, post: 822455, member: 380133"]
Seriously, it looks perfect. I hope that the "mode" Dial isnt to small to move. On the Sonys I find the upper dials a bit to small for a comfortable usage.
A dedicated Mode dial on the left shoulder would be a better option in my opinion. Instead of this silly waste of a space they implemented with the on/off dial. I think the perfect place for the on/off dial is around the shutter. And a third push to activate the light.

But overall it looks super close to perfect :)

If the rumoured specs are true and there is no major fuckup like missing DPAF in 4k or crazy rolling shutter like on the 5D, than this is in my opinion the PERFECT camera. I dont see ANYTHING missing or wrong. Its incredible versatile and covers ANY kind of photography - from event, to landscape, to products and even high end sports. I think pretty much any price would be okay, even up to 6k like the 1D. Overall it looks even more powerfull than the 1D in my opinion (which became more and more a SUPER specialized tool). With the insane speed, the 5D could even replace the 1D for most sports photographers (unless you truely need the LAN port. Though this could be replaced with USB-C to LAN adapters - at least theoreticaly).
With the giant EF Lense selection and the Adapter with internal ND Filter its a VERY promising camera, even for video :)
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Let’s see what the final specs are but the price range for a new 5D mark sounds right

$7,000 USD?

No, that will be the price of two bodies. Who is saying that? Your reply quote was cropped like a bad Canon video....lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Ever wondered how pros have managed without a Mode dial since the dawn of the 1 Series?
Since I am a freelancing, fulltime photographer and videographer I would consider myself a "pro". I have a 1DX II and use it alongside the 5D IV in my daily work (though I prefer the 5D usualy and for video work the S1H).
I think the missing mode dial on the 1D is truely annoying. To change the mode I have to reach for a hard to reach button on the shoulder and cycle the wheel and observe a REALY tiny icon to make sure I land in the right mode. On the 5D I can change the mode withouth even looking at the camera, thanks to tactile feedback. Its fast, reliable and very easy to check (without even looking through the viewfinder).
The reasons to leave this out and to implement an ON/OFF Switch instead of it, is a bad design choice and I cant find any reason that makes this better...
Its not like its a big problem or something, but in my opinion they could have used that space more efficient.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I layed out my thinking pretty detailed, dont you think?
This camera (IF the rumoured specs are true) could replace a 1DX III (unless you truely need the LAN Port. The rest of the specs is the same or even BETTER than on the 1D. It shoots 45mpixel with 20fps - like wtf?! If the rumours are true.) AND it could replace any photo camera (for example for wildlife, event, wedding, landscape, street) you could need or use at the moment. AND (if there is no mayor problem with it) it could replace pretty much any video camera up to around 7000USD at the market (unless you need a very specific tool).
The fact that it beats the 1DX III AND offers a very high resolution alone is reason enough to justify such a pricetag. If the video mode rocks, its an INCREDIBLE versatile camera in a handy formfactor with future proof video features and canon colors that could even be used on small gimbals and drones. This is an incredible value for the money.

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
There is a lot of nitpicking over specs we really know nothing about. It's one think to say "If this is how it will be..." and what not but some are speaking in absolutes and getting all steamed. It's pure comedy. We are LUCKY if this is half the body the initial rumored specs say it is (well, except video guys who will be moaning and crying regardless over any little thing)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
A perfect camera for me would need an electronic (global) shutter so you could do flash sync at any speed. That would be a huge deal for photographers that mix ambient and flash outdoors.
true, its an outstanding feature, but I think its a pretty specific need and not that important in like 95% of photographers daily work (unless you do highend studio/fashion shootings)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Lots of assumptions being made here... What if the sensor doesn't even use DPAF, for example? There's so much we don't know—I wouldn't get your hopes up too high before we get it in our hands.
Thats why I said "if the rumours are true".
That it wont use DPAF (or something better) is incredible unlikely. What may happen is, that we get no AF in certein video modes (if this 120fps 4k is true for example)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Pro does not = well to do. I don’t know any well heeled photographers that do it for a living. Not a one. All the guys I know that have money to burn on gear do something else for a living. I know about 4 pros. They are as frugal as they can be when it comes to purchasing and tend to not have the latest.
Hm, this is purely anectotal, but nearly all professional video/photo guys I know try to get the best and latest equipment their budget allows for. There is a lot of GAS in my town :-D

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I’m gonna really miss the Touch Bar , I have no idea why the R bodies need a stupid joystick... at least there is no mechanical mode dial, excellent t. Now, pleeeeaaaase make the modes editable ...
Is this irony? =D I personaly want exactly the oposite. Though this is obviously just a matter of personal preferences. I like physical buttons because they are easier to click without a doubt and you get tactile feedback to be sure you actualy hit that button. Thats why I like the Nikon Fullframe Bodies - lots of different switched and buttons : )

Upvote 0
But honestly the only thing I truly HATE about this camera is no easy switch mode to video like previous cameras in the DSLR line. I want my video switch toggle back!!!!! Made it easy as a hybrid shooter to shift from photos to video mode.
Isn't that because, on a DSLR, such a switch is required, because to record video, the mirror needs to be locked up out of the way.

On a mirrorless camera, no such action is required: you're ready to go, so pressing the video record button is all that's necessary.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0