Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

Yeah the state is still a type of sleep with wake on power switch, deeper than the normal sleep mode
I'm not sure why this would be needed. What exactly are we expecting to be active inside the camera when it's off? To me, 'off' means 'off', not a deeper sleep mode. That means there's no currents in the circuits and no battery drainage, apart from the parasitic drain, as you said.

Upvote 0
Then again, how often do you actually use the on/off button?

I pretty much never turn mine off....since it goes to sleep.

About the only time I turn it off, is to change memory cards, but other than that, I leave it on.....from what other posts I've seen here over the years, I got the idea that was what the majority of folks did?

That's how I used my Canon DSLR... Maybe I'm paranoid about battery life. I'll have to play with the power savings settings and try just letting the camera sleep. What do you have yours set to?

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
I'm not sure why this would be needed. What exactly are we expecting to be active inside the camera when it's off? To me, 'off' means 'off', not a deeper sleep mode. That means there's no currents in the circuits and no battery drainage, apart from the parasitic drain, as you said.
To me off means off also but I didn't clarify my point very well, sorry that's on me. Point was Canon don't have an off like that, hardly any new complex electronic devices do. The deeper sleep like state I was referencing was not a feature I'd like to see, rather reality of what is actually the case and has been for some time now. What many will be assuming is actually off most likely isn't on a lot of electronics, cameras included. Even in a 2 pole ON/OFF toggle which was used in true OFF/ON configurations in the past are used as e-switch these days. They seem exactly the same but the off these days is done in software not hardware. Completely off switch BUT the internal path wont allow a true off ever. There is poor implimentation of parasitic drain and negligible version of it which canon admitedly does but there is always powered on state internally technically albeit without all internal systems being powered. Not just portable devices either as even mains powered devices including pc's have a dormant but something still powered state these days.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Not looking for additional tripod specific features, I'm talking about capabilities I'll seldom use and complexity and battery drainage I don't want. Because I'm using a tripod. I don't want to pay for stuff I don't use. Though I probably will. Just saying.
I'd like to hear more about this tripod discussion and features/paying for things you don't use....all of that. Expand please. (Hell, I'm not going back through countless pages to research this little chat)

* oh and paying for stuff I don't use is a real sore subject around here which video chaps are very quick to point out it doesn't cost one more red cent , which is of course laughable. Like anything is free to include in large scale manufacturing...

Upvote 0
I happen to enjoy the touch bar on the R for what I use it for. I have a huge nose. Never a problem. Have you ever used the R? I ask because a lot of people commenting have never tried the camera, much less taken the time to set it up properly.
My nose moves the AF point all the time. Yes, I've tried restricting the touch & drag AF zones—either they get uncomfortably far away to use or my nose moves the AF point.

Upvote 0
I’m gonna really miss the Touch Bar , I have no idea why the R bodies need a stupid joystick... at least there is no mechanical mode dial, excellent t. Now, pleeeeaaaase make the modes editable ...
I'm going to have to HARD disagree with that touch bar comment. That being said, editable modes would be fantastic. I don't know why we're limited to 3 custom modes—seems super obvious with this style of mode dial that you should be able to have far more custom modes—especially if you could name them, CANON.

Upvote 0
To me off means off also but I didn't clarify my point very well, sorry that's on me. Point was Canon don't have an off like that, hardly any new complex electronic devices do.

I think they do, depending on the device. As above, when you switch your Canon off, the switch doesn't disconnects the battery right away but rather triggers a shut down process. Still, after the shutdown, the camera is actually 'off'. There may be some circuits activated when you turn it back on or insert/remove memory cards etc. But that's triggered from the physical actions. Oh there's also an internal battery on the internal clock. But the point is, the main battery doesn't feed anything when the camera is off.
It's different from the devices with stand-by mode or devices that are meant to run continuously off a battery like hand watches or smartphones.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Not looking for additional tripod specific features, I'm talking about capabilities I'll seldom use and complexity and battery drainage I don't want. Because I'm using a tripod. I don't want to pay for stuff I don't use. Though I probably will. Just saying.

That is difficult. Top of the line will come fully loaded. Like buying a car, if only interested in the top engine and sports package you also get the leather interior if you want it or not.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I'm guessing you'll be able to assign one of the control dials to ISO, maybe even WB. I don't know about you but I would rather have a physical dial over a fiddly touchpad that is easily activated. I can't wait to have THREE control dials so I can set my camera up to control aperture, shutter speed, and ISO on dedicated dials. But to your point, it would be nice to have a few other Cf buttons to directly access things like drive mode.
What do you use the control ring on your RF lenses for (if you have any or an RF adapter)?

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
I think they do, depending on the device. As above, when you switch your Canon off, the switch doesn't disconnects the battery right away but rather triggers a shut down process. Still, after the shutdown, the camera is actually 'off'. There may be some circuits activated when you turn it back on or insert/remove memory cards etc. But that's triggered from the physical actions. Oh there's also an internal battery on the internal clock. But the point is, the main battery doesn't feed anything when the camera is off.
It's different from the devices with stand-by mode or devices that are meant to run continuously off a battery like hand watches or smartphones.
You're right in that it doesn't feed everything but it isn't actually off. Some of the ML guys and few other teardown and examine to insane level for modding and so on e-eng folks will confirm it isn't off in the way you think it is. Admittedly it is a good implementation of soft off though thus virtually none existent parasitic drain (most battery loss is the self discharge common to that cell chemistry). This is why turning off for any length after ML issues when it f's up will never sort out until you pull the battery. It doesn't trigger a hard off, it triggers a soft off where most loops are not powered but it IS powered. Good phones do it this way as do computers etc where most buses wont be powered but there is still some essential parts responsible for wake and few other things being powered and it just behanves as off thus people think it is.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
You're right in that it doesn't feed everything but it isn't actually off. Some of the ML guys and few other teardown and examine to insane level for modding and so on e-eng folks will confirm it isn't off in the way you think it is. Admittedly it is a good implementation of soft off though thus virtually none existent parasitic drain (most battery loss is the self discharge common to that cell chemistry). This is why turning off for any length after ML issues when it f's up will never sort out until you pull the battery. It doesn't trigger a hard off, it triggers a soft off where most loops are not powered but it IS powered. Good phones do it this way as do computers etc where most buses wont be powered but there is still some essential parts responsible for wake and few other things being powered and it just behanves as off thus people think it is.

If you guys are talking about the R I can definitely say that the R is never off off unless you remove the battery. The top display panel has info still displayed when the switch is off. Opening the card door causes the res light to flash as does inserting a memory card. The battery does slowly drain down over a period of time even when not used and switched to off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I do not think that there is any chance I escape from buying one. The ergonomics alone have me sold. The only real question will be what exotic lens that I don't need but will buy in order to have shiny new glass for this beauty. Can't wait!!!

The RF glass is remarkable. I will be keeping a lot of good EF lenses, but I have the RF 50mm, which is virtually Zeiss Otus-like in some regards.

So if anybody buys an EOS R or R5 mostly for the body, it really is worth the splurge to get at least one deluxe RF lens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The RF glass is remarkable. I will be keeping a lot of good EF lenses, but I have the RF 50mm, which is virtually Zeiss Otus-like in some regards.

So if anybody buys an EOS R or R5 mostly for the body, it really is worth the splurge to get at least one deluxe RF lens.
Once I sell my 5D MK IV, I'll begin converting.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
You have the record button. You click it it starts recording.You click the shutter it stars shooting pictures.

More so: Pressing the record button, it uses the settings you have
chosen for video mode, while pressing the shutter button will use
the current stills settings. Those two settings might be worlds apart.
Couldn't be any better.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

I already have an R, though I'm mostly using adapted EF lenses. I was actually thinking of the 50, and it would best fit the criteria of the lens I want but absolutely don't need. My justification would be that I deserve one after taking apart my EF 1.4 more times than I can count to fix a stuck focusing mechanism. It was actually my second after I sold my first for thr same reason. It just isn't a focal length I use a ton of and I always waited and waited for something new/better that wouldn't break the bank. I guess I can't have both LOL.

Upvote 0