There are delays in production for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Renting gear is always a safe and viable option when the client is more than willing to pay for it however, say I was wanting for the R5 if it doesn't come soon rentals add up a $100 rental is not bad for a R for 4 days, but that adds up quick if I have say 5 weddings or other events at that point it's like why not just buy a 80d, but why buy an 80d when I really want a EOS R5 or C200 ii, a c200 is $300 to rent for 3 days, all of that adds up quickly and eats out of profit. Why buy (invest in ) a camera that you know will decrease in value instantly when the next version is released. When you're first starting out and building up your portfolio it's every penny counts and even in business financials every penny counts.
On the other hand, rentals are 100 percent deductible in the U.S. while purchases have to be depreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
On the other hand, rentals are 100 percent deductible in the U.S. while purchases have to be depreciated.

Depending on your business structure, you may be eligible for a Section 179 deduction in the US allowing for immediate depreciation of the full cost of some capital expenses. Be sure to talk to your tax advisor (as I am not one).

Could save you $1,000 on a $3000 lens if you’re in the 35% bracket. Learn more (including a calculator for eligibility) at www.section179.org.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Will we see a price reduction in eos R to mantain people happy and increase their R system base untill End of the year if R5 is delated? If production is at 1/4, they should give us a firmware for the R that really squeeze the R potential.
If production is down, I don't see why that should affect only the upcoming models. And with the hit the economy will take, I also don't see why Canon would feel good about giving away free firmware updates to further reduce the numbers of new bodies sold.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
So, where do you want to draw the line?
Fact is that this virus is affecting our photography business/hobby or whatever it is in a specific case. Be it loosing some business or canceling a (photography) vacation etc. Or just being concerned about a delay of a release of a new product ...

Well, I'd posit, that a good idea would be more solo type, landscape shooting?

I just got my new 6x17 120 film view camera in....and plan to go about the area this weekend, either by myself or just ONE friend (we'll stay 6ft apart, haha)...and do some shooting away from crowds.

Sure we have to be cautious, but life goes on, just make the best of it with what time each of us has with it....I'm guessing I won't have to be too terribly concerned about catching the corona virus from the alligators out in the swamps...

;)

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Things in the US are now changing, seemingly multiple times a day. First, NCAA playoffs to empty arenas only, then all NBA games cancelled. I expect all sports games to be cancelled to morrow and most other events, even small ones won't attract enough people to take place.

I will bet that stores in the US tomorrow will see lots of customers buying and stocking up.

Yesterday down here in the New Orleans area...they cancelled all of the St. Pat's parades all over town...

I'm guessing there's a good chance they'll also be canceling French Quarter Fest and Jazzfest.....I'm supposed to be on JF staff again this year, so, watching to see if they still have it or not....

I'm really hoping this virus behaves in similar fashion to flu viruses in that it becomes less active during the summers with heat and humidity.
If it does, that would make NOLA the safest place on earth!!

Anyway, I've not seen any runs on stores down here...most people seem to be taking it in stride down here so far [knocks wood].

C

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Depending on your business structure, you may be eligible for a Section 179 deduction in the US allowing for immediate depreciation of the full cost of some capital expenses. Be sure to talk to your tax advisor (as I am not one).

Could save you $1,000 on a $3000 lens if you’re in the 35% bracket. Learn more (including a calculator for eligibility) at www.section179.org.

Not true....my CPA lets me write off my purchases in FULL each year...no problem.

You might check with yours.....I believe that old rule changed with tax laws quite awhile back.

Yes, of course you are both correct. You can take write off many purchases in the first year. However, my understanding is that you could end up having to pay taxes later if you dispose of or convert the equipment prior to its ordinary depreciation period.

However, the real point of my comment was that felipeolveram was bemoaning having to buy equipment for temporary use while waiting for the equipment he really wants and I simply was pointing out that one doesn't have to purchase equipment while waiting for a new model to be released. Rental is an option and often a wise business move, since rental costs are 100% deductible with no need to worry about depreciation rules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I may be in the minority here, but with major events locally and around the world getting canceled, they might as well delay the release. The Olympics may be next - hard to see how they can go on under these circumstances.
Under the CURRENT situation, probably not. But what we saw with similar viruses in the past (SARS, for example) is -like the flu - they die off quite a bit over the spring and summer. We won't know for sure about this for a few more weeks, but the Southern hemisphere seems to not be spreading cases around quite like we are up North, and its their summer down there.

By the end of July, this could be gone. The first SARS cases were found in November (COVID 19 as well). All WHO travel restrictions were lifted by June the following year. While we don't know yet, there is an equal chance COVID goes the same was as there is that it persists beyond that.

Once we start to understand the true fatality rates (how many people die from it / how many people are infected - at the beginning of epidemics these estimates (currently 3-4%) are usually high because we always find out about the most serious cases first), guidance on travel and precautions will change and may loosen up.

I'm an optimist, but I think the olympics will be on as scheduled.

-Brian

Upvote 0
However, my understanding is that you could end up having to pay taxes later if you dispose of or convert the equipment prior to its ordinary depreciation period.

I guess. Your equipment would have a book value of zero, so therefore any proceeds from the sale would be reportable in net income as a gain on sale of assets. Also, all things being equal your net income will be higher during the useful life if the equipment as you will not have the depreciation expense available to write off again.

So just buy more equipment and contribute to the economy!

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
??

Where in the world do YOU live where they'll be enforcing that???

And I would think that so long as the delivery services are functioning (pity FedEx and UPS aren't fully drone yet) being stuck in the house would be the PERFECT excuse for a new camera.

Nothing to do but learn how to use it. Take you mind off the other possibilities...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Just awaiting the pre-order date. My cash has been getting put aside for this camera for quite some time. If it gets released later, I'll be easily able to afford 1 or 2 of the sweet RF lenses (15-35mm & 24-70mm IS) along with the body.

Who has been putting aside your cash for you? Your guardians?

• Haha
Upvote 0