There are delays in production for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Dictatorships are much better at responding quickly. Mussolini's trains ran on time. Democracies are messy and inefficient. I think I still prefer democracy, even if it seems that half or more of the country prefers otherwise.

None of which I mentioned has anything to do with the political makeup of the country. Simply common sense and a dedication to handle the problem at hand and a sense of will to protect their citizens against harm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
at the same time, refuses to get him tested for covid, says he doesn't meet the qualifications for the test.

It had been the same in Australia, you would only be tested if you had acute respiratory symptoms and had just returned from overseas or been in contact with someone from overseas. I think they just didn't have capacity and enough test kits. A GP could only order a test after a call to a special hotline of dept. of health.

The rules for covid testing were only relaxed this week, now there's no need to call the department. But that means the population is heavily undertested. Tom Hanks with his wife have just been tested positive on the Gold Coast. Have they brought it from the US or caught it here in Australia?

On the bright side, that means the case fatality rate of this virus isn't as scary as some media are trying to tell.

Upvote 0
Stay healthy and good luck!! It is shameful and scary how inept and downright deceitful our federal government's response has been. Thank goodness for small town/local government and individual state leadership.
Thank you :)

I developed a cold since last Saturday, which is when all this broke out here. Which was an exceedingly frightening time of temperature and symptom monitoring as well as self-quarantine. I'm better now, but Hanoi is basically a dead city these past 5 days as everyone is staying home.

Just to give an idea on quickly this can spread - one woman contracted the virus in Italy she managed to infect 12 or so people during the flight and during her first few days here. They in turn have infected others... and this is literally from around the end of February until now.

While if you are healthy the risks are low, however, even with that, some really heathly people have died from it. It certainly has more of a dramatic impact on our older segment of the population around the world though

Upvote 0
It had been the same in Australia, you would only be tested if you had acute respiratory symptoms and had just returned from overseas or been in contact with someone from overseas. I think they just didn't have capacity and enough test kits. A GP could only order a test after a call to a special hotline of dept. of health.

The rules for covid testing were only relaxed this week, now there's no need to call the department. But that means the population is heavily undertested. Tom Hanks with his wife have just been tested positive on the Gold Coast. Have they brought it from the US or caught it here in Australia?

On the bright side, that means the case fatality rate of this virus isn't as scary as some media are trying to tell.

According to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center the rate is ~3.5%. Ultimately, the takeaway with this virus is to not get the bat soup.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
According to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center the rate is ~3.5%. Ultimately, the takeaway with this virus is to not get the bat soup.

They (media) and we (readers) often mix the terminology. There's mortality ratio of about 3-4% but the case fatality rate is assumed to be much lower.

Mortality for COVID-19 appears higher than for influenza, especially seasonal influenza. While the true mortality of COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4%, the infection mortality rate (the number of reported deaths divided by the number of infections) will be lower. For seasonal influenza, mortality is usually well below 0.1%. However, mortality is to a large extent determined by access to and quality of health care.

10Mar_Cartoon_CA-scaled.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Honestly this is what they get for waiting so long, Canon please do not wait any longer! Wedding season is upon us and I along with many others need another camera body! I will be an early preorder!

Interesting stance from what I assume is coming from a professional. If I have some jobs lined up with deposits down and for whatever odd reason I don’t have the base gear or backup gear to complete the job, I just find whatever equipment that’s available that I know I can get sellable results from and I either buy it, or rent it. Plenty of options to choose from between now and when the R5/R6 comes out. Equipment is such a small and easy equation in this business if you’re doing it right. It’ll come! Utilize the gear options available to get your jobs done until then.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Things in the US are now changing, seemingly multiple times a day. First, NCAA playoffs to empty arenas only, then all NBA games cancelled. I expect all sports games to be cancelled to morrow and most other events, even small ones won't attract enough people to take place.

I will bet that stores in the US tomorrow will see lots of customers buying and stocking up.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not an issue I will invest in the RF glass now , this could be a good thing (not the virus) as it may give me a chance to see the R1 specs before investing in the R5 , I just wish now with all the shows cancelled Canon would give us the full specs of the R5 .

Canon probably wasn't planning on announcing more than they already have until Photokina in May. All of the other shows would have been similar to WPPI - a body under glass and no more info than what was revealed in the development announcement.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

I ran the numbers late last week. Outside of China, the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed cases was around 0.3% at that time. Still fairly high, but nothing like the numbers being bandied about that are causing hysteria.

Sure, some of those currently with it will die, but the recovery rate is improving rapidly. The two most concerning factors are the long incubation period between exposure and presentation of symptoms, and how resistant those who have been exposed and not developed severe respiratory issues will be to later exposure to slightly different mutations of the virus.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Last week we were asked to prepare to teach our classes only online after spring break. Today the university announced we’ll be teaching online after break. The other major university in the state announced on Tuesday. Fortunately I already teach one course both online and on campus and had been preparing to offer the other online in the future so not a big hit for me. With all the businesses telling their employees to stay home, my concern is the sudden increase in network traffic for all this is going to overwhelm the Internet in the coming days and weeks. It will be like everyone watching a couple more hours of Netflix/... every day. It will be interesting to monitor.

Upvote 0
Interesting stance from what I assume is coming from a professional. If I have some jobs lined up with deposits down and for whatever odd reason I don’t have the base gear or backup gear to complete the job, I just find whatever equipment that’s available that I know I can get sellable results from and I either buy it, or rent it. Plenty of options to choose from between now and when the R5/R6 comes out. Equipment is such a small and easy equation in this business if you’re doing it right. It’ll come! Utilize the gear options available to get your jobs done until then.

Renting gear is always a safe and viable option when the client is more than willing to pay for it however, say I was wanting for the R5 if it doesn't come soon rentals add up a $100 rental is not bad for a R for 4 days, but that adds up quick if I have say 5 weddings or other events at that point it's like why not just buy a 80d, but why buy an 80d when I really want a EOS R5 or C200 ii, a c200 is $300 to rent for 3 days, all of that adds up quickly and eats out of profit. Why buy (invest in ) a camera that you know will decrease in value instantly when the next version is released. When you're first starting out and building up your portfolio it's every penny counts and even in business financials every penny counts.

Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
I think an October release will have an even higher demand/out of stock ratio. It's too late to prevent that - we already know!:) I predict a summer full with people convulsing from GAS. And, unless the 'enemy' releases something ahead of Canon for the ship-jumpers to lower the pressure, I don't see a smooth premiere for the R5.
--
The other part of me sincerely misses the time we didn't knew anything, there were no expectations to trigger impatience, and (almost) every product had much higher chance of being a pleasant surprise. Now, we can't even tolerate a deadly virus... what an annoyance.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Demand is going to be reduced slightly too. Bans on public events = less money for photographers and less eagerness to invest in upgrades.
I wouldn't be surprised if the summer Olympics finally would be postponed, too, since there are more and more travel restrictions.

Upvote 0
Weddings for example may become small private affairs with phone photos taken by the few witnesses.

My cousin went that way a few years ago. He didn't hire a wedding photographer, and the wedding invitation said people are hereby invited to shoot with their smartphones. He got ~1,000 photos, some taken by a different cousin who is a pro photographer and owns a Leica, and was happy enough with the results.

Anyway, I upgraded from 5DmkIII to a mkIV, and will wait for the epidemic to pass.

Upvote 0