There are delays in production for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I agree with the above that the more important issue for the planet is containing COVID 19 pandemic. That said, if they do ship the camera I plan to be online to pre-order the R5, RF 24-105 f4 L IS, RF 100-500 (if released), battery grip (if released), EF-RF adaptors and 2 LP-E6NH batteries. I can adapt my EF lenses if none of the RF lenses are available. Which reminds me, Canon will have to make sure they have enough RF lenses in the pipeline or that might be another reason to hold the R5 shipment. Canon may not be willing to release the R5 if they don't have enough RF lenses in the pipeline to meet the anticipated drag. That would be a big missed sales opportunity. I actually bought a 128GB CFexpress card last week just so I would have at least one card in case supply was implanted by the pandemic (as announced by WHO today). May not need the camera until much later this year if Africa gets hit with COVID 19.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I had pre-ordered the 1dx3 for a specific job scheduled for June. Coronavirus ensured the job got canceled/pushed. I canceled my pre-order. Will re-evaluate the situation now when travel resumes and how 1dx3 compares with R5 in video specs.
I think that your situation will be repeated over and over. Events are going to be cancelled, its beginning to be recognized in the US and Canada, and Europe has already begun in a big way.

Worse yet, people will be out of work, and that means no purchases. People will be buying just the minimum necessary items. A few will keep on buying, but many photographers will be out of work. Weddings for example may become small private affairs with phone photos taken by the few witnesses. Its going to affect us all. Even if you don't believe its a problem, you won't be spared.

One US town has now been placed under quarantine, but not locked down as the Chinese did. We are lucky that we still have 2 weeks to do something to isolate pockets of the illness to slow the spread and buy time to develop a vaccine, but I don't expect politicians to act in time.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I’m bound to get my head bitten off but surely trying to stop the spread of Corona Virus should take priority over the original release date of new Canon cameras. Loads of events are being delayed or cancelled. I get that it’s frustrating but surely during this time we should all have more understanding of the situation we are in.
You make a good point and in an ideal world....
what am I doing, I started typing about world economics etc etc. and then thought, this is a friendly forum and buying a camera isn't life and death, well not in my world anyway. I agree, it's more about the people affected than us.
I still want the R5 though.;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Even if they only have a few thousand available, I’d rather seem them ship on time, if possible. October is a long delay. The camera industry isn’t healthy, no pun intended. A delay isn’t going to help. If these cameras are as good as hoped, having them out on time, in reduced numbers could whet demand for when larger production has begun.
I agree that they should ship in reduced numbers. That way any software bugs will be found by the lucky few and fixed before general distribution.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
It´s a pain...it is and BIGGG one!! But we must understand...there is no way around! and I also agree that if Canon can send some thousands of bodies in July they should, I would definitely preorder (unless it costs 10.000€!! :D )! I don´t think the demand will be going much less because of the olimpics or other events being canceled! It can happen but this will be an all around camera not only for stills but also for video. Olimpic shooters or other sports events may be more 1dx mkIII users.
Unless of course there are no Olympics or major sporting events...

• Wow
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...we still have 2 weeks to do something to isolate pockets of the illness to slow the spread and buy time to develop a vaccine, but I don't expect politicians to act in time.

Last I checked, politicians don't develop vaccines. Just what do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand? And yeah, two weeks is really going to make a difference.

“It’s difficult,” (John) Shiver (the global head of vaccine research and development at the multinational pharmaceutical company Sanofi) said, “to see how, even in the case of an emergency, a vaccine could be fully ready for licensure in a year and a half.”

I love how the media rushes around demanding that the government "do something." It's nature guys. Government can mitigate some of the negative financial impact, but magically stopping nature from doing what nature does is next to impossible.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If they have 1/4 capacity in June they should release it. They could ask for a higher price than planned and get it, and then lower it to the planned price when normal stock returns. If they don't announce their price early, this is possible. Once they announce it then they can't increase it without causing resentment.

On a side note, I hope they offer the lens adaptor separately, or offer it with and without it as a choice (as I won't need one). I also *really* hope they offer aperture bracketing. I know they won't offer Arca-Swiss grooves on the bottom front & back edges, but it sure would be nice if they did.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Unless of course there are no Olympics or major sporting events...
Very possible. Besides if the business drops by a huge margin (mine just did!) then photographers will have lesser money to spend. Note: I work as a filmmaker on sets that have 150 people. So I am bracing myself for a huge setback.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
For R5, I think they should ship what they have as planned, and keep filling the shelves as they make more. I wasn't planning to get one, at least not yet. Maybe in ~8-12 months. There's big event in May 2021 which might make be buy more bodies, R5 is one option.

There's also event in this year July which I want to shoot with 1DX3, hopefully it doesn't get delayed (although no clue if the event will be postponed...)

Upvote 0
Last I checked, politicians don't develop vaccines. Just what do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand? And yeah, two weeks is really going to make a difference.

“It’s difficult,” (John) Shiver (the global head of vaccine research and development at the multinational pharmaceutical company Sanofi) said, “to see how, even in the case of an emergency, a vaccine could be fully ready for licensure in a year and a half.”

I love how the media rushes around demanding that the government "do something." It's nature guys. Government can mitigate some of the negative financial impact, but magically stopping nature from doing what nature does is next to impossible.
I once heard that people falsely believe an individual's strongest desire is for freedom. The reality is, a person's strongest desire is for protection.

Upvote 0
Very possible. Besides if the business drops by a huge margin (mine just did!) then photographers will have lesser money to spend. Note: I work as a filmmaker on sets that have 150 people. So I am bracing myself for a huge setback.

Until now...got 3 jobs cancelled/delay with, of course considerable drawback. Those jobs were on video and photo of professional cycling races. I wanted also the 1dx mkIII but didn´t get it on time, son now i am also considering getting only the R5 and pair it with the EOS R. As a second body I find the R to be fairly good and I record video with atomos so I get a "baby" C200. With this solution I get a cheaper solution cause I am also preparing for about 2/3 months with less incoming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Here in Switzerland already all events +120ppl. Canceled by restrictions. An ppl Al's start to cancel/postpone their weddings and so on...

I live just north of ground zero in Washington so it's not likely that I'll be out and about in all my usual spots this year anyway. We've already canceled our camping bookings for April and if things don't improve the whole summer will likely be a pass. We usually hit the road for 120-150 days each year.

I'll buy this whenever it finally arrives - I really have no doubt. I'm more concerned with everyone being safe and staying healthy through this.

I'm in all the risk categories but I'm not freaking out. I am a bit disappointed in the response in my area so far though.

Scary times. Such is life.

Everyone be safe out there.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I’m bound to get my head bitten off but surely trying to stop the spread of Corona Virus should take priority over the original release date of new Canon cameras. Loads of events are being delayed or cancelled. I get that it’s frustrating but surely during this time we should all have more understanding of the situation we are in.

you can sympathize with the impact to people's lives and still want the latest toy. One doesn't exclude the other :) .. besides think of the economy and people's jobs! we must do our part to get the economy and people's jobs going! (ok the last one is a lame attempt at comedy before people get upset)

Upvote 0