There are delays in production for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ok, we can all flex our virtue signaling muscles and say, "Oh, the only thing important now is curing The Virus."

And we'd have the dullest forum ever.

We are simply going into some detail here about less than fatal side effects. Sigh...

Surely there are some infectious disease forums?

Really, it's insulting, or, at the very least, extremely patronizing, to be scolded for talking about how this will affect photographers waiting for an R5 or other gear. We all have families and other loved ones, and we care for our own health. In a camera gear forum, GASP, folks tend to talk about gear. Shameful as it might be.

Here in our town, we are waiting for the public schools to close. I'll have the tremendous honor of homeschooling when that happens.

Freedom of speech. Share your anxieties. But, puhlease, think how silly it sounds to feel as if you must mount your high horse and remind others that there is a PANDEMIC.

:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Last I checked, politicians don't develop vaccines. Just what do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand? And yeah, two weeks is really going to make a difference.

“It’s difficult,” (John) Shiver (the global head of vaccine research and development at the multinational pharmaceutical company Sanofi) said, “to see how, even in the case of an emergency, a vaccine could be fully ready for licensure in a year and a half.”

I love how the media rushes around demanding that the government "do something." It's nature guys. Government can mitigate some of the negative financial impact, but magically stopping nature from doing what nature does is next to impossible.
Politicians and so the governments are in charge of many aspects of this, notably information and wide scale (or not) testing and the quick and efficient publishing of that data, nobody expects politicians to put on a lab coat and work on a vaccine but they should be held accountable for their and the government and public departments responses to the threat.

As is quite obvious some governments and health departments are doing a much better job of this than others yet the threat is the same to all.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 18.36.05.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The "small quantity low quality" claim makes no sense. If you can't get the parts you need, you wait for the parts. You can, of course, qualify alternatives, but given the sketchy supply of critical small components over the past decade, anyone starting a production run that has not done that well in advance is not working at a professional level.

Using substandard parts or unqualified vendors is never an option.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, I was just thinking how childish our comments seem to be. Waah, Waah Waah. I want my new toy.

On the other hand, many of us who are simply discussing possible effects on photography purchases and repairs HERE are also, in our private lives, dealing with friends and family members ill or recently dead from cancer; finding out another family member has Alzheimer's; worrying about our children's health, and our own so that we can continue caring for them; fretting about effects on our community and the general suffering this disease will cause.

In other words, I just get the sense, and, ok, I'm too sensitive myself, that some of the scolders here presume that anybody chatting about gear instead of wailing about the plight of humanity in every post is too self-centered to realize we are in a troubling pandemic.

Just like we enjoy CR being free from politics, I hope others realize that whatever is posted here is JUST A SLICE OF OUR LIVES, and that some of us are up to our necks in issues we struggle with, but can put that aside for a time posting here. I could imagine a few people talking about whatever the latest Star Wars controversies are, and then a poster or two or three come wading in to say, "You guys are so selfish! Don't you realize people are dying out there in the real world?"

In fact, some of us are involved in community service that exposes us to some grim realities, but we don't have to go on about it, and we can, even during wartime, sit and have a drink with friends before getting back to the fighting.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
On the other hand, many of us who are simply discussing possible effects on photography purchases and repairs HERE are also, in our private lives, dealing with friends and family members ill or recently dead from cancer; finding out another family member has Alzheimer's; worrying about our children's health, and our own so that we can continue caring for them; fretting about effects on our community and the general suffering this disease will cause.

In other words, I just get the sense, and, ok, I'm too sensitive myself, that some of the scolders here presume that anybody chatting about gear instead of wailing about the plight of humanity in every post is too self-centered to realize we are in a troubling pandemic.

Just like we enjoy CR being free from politics, I hope others realize that whatever is posted here is JUST A SLICE OF OUR LIVES, and that some of us are up to our necks in issues we struggle with, but can put that aside for a time posting here. I could imagine a few people talking about whatever the latest Star Wars controversies are, and then a poster or two or three come wading in to say, "You guys are so selfish! Don't you realize people are dying out there in the real world?"

In fact, some of us are involved in community service that exposes us to some grim realities, but we don't have to go on about it, and we can, even during wartime, sit and have a drink with friends before getting back to the fighting.
Your post(s) are completely valid of course but the context is off imho. All of those other grim realities have and had nothing to do with Canon production therefore the feeling and sentiment of focus while waiting for this one product, the R5 body while COVID-19 impacts us globally is spot on. I think a better correlation is Fukushima and the tsunami of 2011.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

So, where do you want to draw the line?
Fact is that this virus is affecting our photography business/hobby or whatever it is in a specific case. Be it loosing some business or canceling a (photography) vacation etc. Or just being concerned about a delay of a release of a new product ...

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Yesterday, my first serious attempt to capture some relatively moderate action (a powered paraglider). It was a real learning curve for me, but there were a few times that, clearly, the camera just wasn't keeping up. On the other hand, very challenging when the paraglider came down below the tree line, either to buzz or land, as my AF seemed to just get confused by the background. I don't remember that happening with the 5DIV, but I never tried this particular subject with it!

I ditched the 5Dmk4 on a shoot in Hawaii. I was shooting lower light under a cloud layer from a helicopter. Both the metering and the AF was struggling during the flight where the 5D4 never would have missed a beat. It’s a frustrating curve that is still worth the loss of weight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I ditched the 5Dmk4 on a shoot in Hawaii. I was shooting lower light under a cloud layer from a helicopter. Both the metering and the AF was struggling during the flight where the 5D never would have missed a beat. It’s a frustrating curve that is still worth the loss of weight.
Help me out with your post. 5D vs 5D4? Typo? You correct and I'll delete and we'll go merrily on our way.

Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
The failure of government here is not a failure to act, it's a failure to prepare. This is not a "nobody could have predicted" scenario. We got our warning with SARS and MERS. We got our warning about the fragility of our supply chains with the IV bag shortage due to hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

Medical supplies (masks, IV bags, etc.) should be stockpiled. We should have diverse supply chains for essential items. Shortages are avoidable. Being dependent on China for everything is dangerous for a thousand reasons.

At what point do you close schools? Offices? The trade-offs aren't clear when you consider how many people wouldn't be able to work. There should be practiced protocols for these things.

All the disasters of the past will happen again, and there is no reason to not be ready for them

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Your post(s) are completely valid of course but the context is off imho. All of those other grim realities have and had nothing to do with Canon production therefore the feeling and sentiment of focus while waiting for this one product, the R5 body while COVID-19 impacts us globally is spot on. I think a better correlation is Fukushima and the tsunami of 2011.

My point, in case there is a misunderstanding, is that this forum is an appropriate place to discuss how the virus is affecting photographers. Being scolded for talking about these narrow concerns IN A CAMERA GEAR FORUM just doesn't make sense--and seems obnoxious.

On the other hand, if I were in a meeting to discuss how we are going to feed the kids who won't be getting school breakfasts and lunches when school is suspended, and I started going on about my R5 not coming out when expected, then some serious scolding would be in order. And maybe a psych eval! :p

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
I fully understand, but waiting is a little harder this cycle. I was one who went all in on the R, including giving up my speedy 5DIV. Yesterday, my first serious attempt to capture some relatively moderate action (a powered paraglider). It was a real learning curve for me, but there were a few times that, clearly, the camera just wasn't keeping up. On the other hand, very challenging when the paraglider came down below the tree line, either to buzz or land, as my AF seemed to just get confused by the background. I don't remember that happening with the 5DIV, but I never tried this particular subject with it!

Anyway, when it comes it comes: A faster mirrorless will be very welcomed indeed.
I'm glad I had my 5DSR in Africa along with the new R. The R was great for landscape, people, but the real camera caught the animals and it's not even that fast. It just works.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Last I checked, politicians don't develop vaccines. Just what do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand? And yeah, two weeks is really going to make a difference.

“It’s difficult,” (John) Shiver (the global head of vaccine research and development at the multinational pharmaceutical company Sanofi) said, “to see how, even in the case of an emergency, a vaccine could be fully ready for licensure in a year and a half.”

I love how the media rushes around demanding that the government "do something." It's nature guys. Government can mitigate some of the negative financial impact, but magically stopping nature from doing what nature does is next to impossible.
I don't think anyone is wanting the government to turn around a vaccine in a week.

Governments should have been more prepared and more on top of things, especially some governments more than others. Communication and clarity are important during these times. It's not as if this is the first time a corona virus has spread around the world.

My grandon's father has had a cough,etc for a week, and his doctor refuses to sign off on him returning to work, and at the same time, refuses to get him tested for covid, says he doesn't meet the qualifications for the test. He's basically trapped in a no win situation. The cases in that particular country are only low because of the complete lack of testing. Experts suggested after reviewing the virus RNA that it has possibly been spreading undetected through the population for up to six weeks. That's just insane for a first world country when there was adequate warning. I think you can guess where I'm talking about.

Meanwhile I'm here in Vietnam. The virus has broken out literally within 2 blocks of me. The entire area was quarantined off, the entire street sprayed with disinfectant within hours. Anyone that feels a cough, fever, can get tested for free. They developed a fast track test that returns results in 5.5 hours. While people are frightened, it's hard not to have a sense of confidence in the local government to handle the situation.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Meanwhile I'm here in Vietnam. The virus has broken out literally within 2 blocks of me. The entire area was quarantined off, the entire street sprayed with disinfectant within hours. Anyone that feels a cough, fever, can get tested for free. They developed a fast track test that returns results in 5.5 hours. While people are frightened, it's hard not to have a sense of confidence in the local government to handle the situation.

Dictatorships are much better at responding quickly. Mussolini's trains ran on time. Democracies are messy and inefficient. I think I still prefer democracy, even if it seems that half or more of the country prefers otherwise.

Upvote 0