Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
I understand your thought process but Canon has indicated (in their Canon way) they are here to “Hulk Smash”. The most comparable spec camera recently released who is the top of the competition? Photo below. Check that price. The R5 will be below $4000. The first digit in the official USD pricing will be a “3”
$3999.99 US !! That's my bet!

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I would say Main reason is the LAN port for sports photographer. Also I thought the OVF is still a rather big reason fir sportphotographers :)
OVF is good for wildlife, too, because you can observe e.g. a bird nest for hours through your tele lens without draining the battery with every look. Wildlife is 90+ % waiting until something interesting happens. So, with a ML you waste about 90 % of the battery or you may need to carry extra binoculars with you.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Wow, talk about pissing your money away! What happens when Sony or someone else beats Canon’s R5 specs? LCD 1mm larger, e.g. Toss it all again until someone goes 2mm larger?

Sounds like someone's jealous... It's his money, let him do with it what he wants. I, for one, enjoy getting the latest and greatest.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Sounds like someone's jealous... It's his money, let him do with it what he wants. I, for one, enjoy getting the latest and greatest.
@ derpderp: I've just seen the crossed-out items in your gear list, looks like you only have lenses left and no camera?! :unsure:

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
OVF is good for wildlife, too, because you can observe e.g. a bird nest for hours through your tele lens without draining the battery with every look. Wildlife is 90+ % waiting until something interesting happens. So, with a ML you waste about 90 % of the battery or you may need to carry extra binoculars with you.

I'm not familiar with the workflow of a wildlife photographer, but do they look through the viewfinder for hours on end, without taking a break? If they just look through the viewfinder once every few minutes, I don't think there's any practical difference between an OVF and a EVF (edit: in terms of battery drain).

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
@ derpderp: I've just seen the crossed-out items in your gear list, looks like you only have lenses left and no camera?! :unsure:

You are quite right. I've been locked down for the better part of the last couple months, and I anticipate not going anywhere for the next few, so I decided to get rid of the EOS RP while the selling price is still decent :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I'm not familiar with the workflow of a wildlife photographer, but do they look through the viewfinder for hours on end, without taking a break? If they just look through the viewfinder once every few minutes, I don't think there's any practical difference between an OVF and a EVF.
This wasn't meant completely seriously ;) but irony (which is a vintage conversation technique that is lost on the internet) aside: indeed, wildlife means peering quite frequently through the VF, for hours. I know what I am talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You are quite right. I've been locked down for the better part of the last couple months, and I anticipate not going anywhere for the next few, so I decided to get rid of the EOS RP while the selling price is still decent :ROFLMAO:
Taking a break from photography isn't a bad thing. I do that frequently, sometimes then I only draw in my sketchbooks (mostly people, street, currently not possible). Getting a bit of distance helps to see with a fresh eye what you are doing. So, good luck with your decision for a new camera and have always good light! :)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The one who will bring balance to the dynamic range?
Canon certainly hopes that the R5 will bring balance in the dynamic sales into the ML market ;) .

Well, as a user who has quite a lot invested in Canon gear I do hope that they regain their leadership with the new ML cameras. Keeps the future stable for us customers. Btw I really appreciate that Sony has kicked Canon in there - beep - to return to innovative products. After the 5D II video revolution they were really sitting on their laurels, their only smart innovation was dual pixel AF (which I really like).

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Taking a break from photography isn't a bad thing. I do that frequently, sometimes then I only draw in my sketchbooks (mostly people, street, currently not possible). Getting a bit of distance helps to see with a fresh eye what you are doing. So, good luck with your decision for a new camera and have always good light! :)

Cheers. May the ISO be always in your favor too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Camera Conspiracies is funny as heck. I am a Canon guy but love his channel. I don't think anyone watches that channel for gear advice.
I agree, it's much more fun to watch this channel, in particular as a Canon user, than watching Northrop's camera church sermons.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Nikon Df flopped because it did not live up at all to its wonderful teaser campaign. It was a Frankenstein camera with a totally botched user interface, low rez, re-used sensor at a way too high price. It did NOT fail because of lacking video recording.
It really was a mega-ugly Frankenstein design, with those piles of wheels on the top of it. In fact, they created a new Wizzard-of-wheels type of photography, but it never took off like e.g. the Lomography market.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I dont see the 8K part of this getting wide use. And I dont think Canon much cares. It’s showing people “Look at what we can do... Mic Drop”.
In fact, this is what Canon frequently did in its history. Back in 1961, e.g., they introduced their 50mm f/0.95 lens just to show off, it was the fastest series-produced lens for decades. They even had to introduce with the Canon 7 a new rangefinder camera suited for that monster lens. In practice, with manual focusing, you nearly never had a chance to get any slightly moving motif in focus wide open, but never mind. Dad always had to have the best thing available. But today, collectors are crazy about this lens, prices have gone through the roof.

s43_b.jpg

Upvote 0
I would say Main reason is the LAN port for sports photographer. Also I thought the OVF is still a rather big reason fir sportphotographers :)

It's also the LOWER PHOTOSITE COUNT of the 1DxMk3 (20 megapixels) which SHOULD give better low light performance and higher dynamic range than the smaller photosites of the Canon R5.

And that grip on the 1Dx series has ALWAYS been awesome to hold! Some of us have large hands and need a larger camera with higher weight in order to use them to our best ability.

The 1DX3 is for people who already have a lot of L-series glass and would like to keep it for a while until an R1x series full pro camera comes with some decent 400mm, 600mm and 800mm at f/2.8 or faster long lenses! OH! And add that R-mount 120mm to 650mm Sports Zoom !!! THEN they will switch over!

V

Upvote 0