Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Let me ask you, if you were Canon president would you authorise production of a stills only camera in a rapidly shrinking market? To me, I would want to reduce the number of models offered and make them as broadly accessible as possible to maintain margin and take market share from competitors.
The Leica president said yes, and the result was the Leica M10-D without even any display to chimp (pay more for less) ;)

Upvote 0
The Leica president said yes, and the result was the Leica M10-D without even any display to chimp (pay more for less) ;)

Although in the opposite direction, Leica stuff is as far off as the EOS R5 is from what I - and presumably many other stills amateurs/enthusiasts- would like to get and are willing/able to afford.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Most people use proxies anyway so it's a non issue for everyone except rank amateurs who know nothing. Besides, I am able to edit 4k without proxies on my computer which is running 32GB of memory and an AMD 3900X. If my proxies are 4k resolution I think I'll survive... LOL
Sounds like you have the balls here... :devilish:

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Have we not been through this over last several years? 4k is not needed etc? Yes I will shoot 8k when can and publish it in 4k or 2k but shooting at 8k will be so FLEXIBLE.
Yeah, people can even crop the eyes only of their cats in their cat vids ;). But irony aside, the R5 is a dedicated pro tool and there is no question that the film/video industry will start using it. I think what Canon does with the R5 is logical. It is just not a camera for those only wanting to shoot stills.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I came out even financially, and have been floored by the low-light quality from the Sony rig. I REALLY miss Canon's color science, the ergonomics, and menu system, but I wanted 4k video with af and sound recording in slow-mo... Canon had nothing.
Still no word if the R5 will allow sound with slow motion either, but fingers crossed.
I think it is up to everyone to switch brands, its a decision based on personal preferences. I did that back in the first decade after 2000, when I changed from Nikon to Canon because Canon was more attractive back then (and more logical to handle for me personally). I understand the reasons why you did that, and you do not need to apologize here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Can we PLEASE stop with the stupid "Canon beats Sony" memes. They add absolutely nothing to the discussion. It's fanboy-ism at its most childish and only makes you look silly.
well, sometimes a bit of silliness is liberating, in particular if you discuss rumors ;). Life is serious enough.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I would estimate 5000 for a workstation with Xeon Processor, Quadro RTX Graphics card, and lots of fast ssd storage. That's not counting the monitor. B&H currently has 1 model of 8K monitor and it's 3500. Not exactly priced for hobbyists.
I'd say those prices might be more suited for some hobbyists than for many pro photographers who are really starving in this hard business. Btw I am an amateur ;)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I agree, Canon is for the most part asking us to buy into a completely new system as they make their transition to mirrorless.
Not the first time, they did that with the change from the FD to the EF mount about 30 years ago. Many Canon users were shocked, but it was the right decision. The EF mount was a clean new design that helped Canon to grab a huge share of the pro market from Nikon with their fast AF system back in the 1990s. The Nikon F mount still suffers from Nikon's hard trial to keep the whole system compatible since more than a half century. I know what I am talking about, we have an extended Nikon gear.

Upvote 0
I think what Canon does with the R5 is logical.

I fail to see the logic. As a non-video user I really have a hard time understanding why Canon only makes 1 version of R5 and puts their ultimate video specs into it, and at the same time launches C300 III and neither it nor C500 II (FF) at significantly higher prices comes with 8k video specs. Why would anyone buy those C cameras now?

Logic to me would have been multiple versions of a new R camera, all using same body shell. Akin to original Sony A7/S/R product strategy.
e.g.
1. R5C - video-optimized version (similar to what 1DC was) with currently announced 8k hi-end video specs, 4999 MSRP [which would still leave my question re positioning vs. C300/C500 line]
2. R5 - hybrid, "straightforward mirrorfree 5D V", 45+ MP, decent 4k video specs, 3499 MSRP
3. R5R - pure stills "hi-rez" version, 5DS successor, 80 MP, no video recording (only internal EVF feed, no extra cooling, no ), no audio (mics, amps, speakers, codecs), 3499 MSRP
4. R5E - pure stills "economic" version, 45 MP, no video/audio recording; € 2499 MSRP

Maximum production efficiency, optimal choice for customers. It would also nicely demonstrate how few hybrid/video users really are willing to put their wallet where their demands are. :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

its one thing to buy the r5 , if you can even afford it, but the next cost is to buy a new desktop that can handle 8k and thats another $2000 +

$2k for an after burner card + 11k for the machine + whatever a 8k screen costs. In 6-10 years however, 8k will be edited on your smartphone.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
It really was a mega-ugly Frankenstein design, with those piles of wheels on the top of it. In fact, they created a new Wizzard-of-wheels type of photography, but it never took off like e.g. the Lomography market.
Steam punk camera design isn’t for everybody, as Nikon found out.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Loss leading has been a very successful marketing strategy for many companies for years, selling an item below cost can be a very good business tool.
in an ever expanding or sufficiently broad market.

there is a better option than an aggressive discounting in current market conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0