The Canon EOS R6 is still scheduled to be announced in May [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that Canon still plans to announce the Canon EOS R6 sometime in May, and we can also expect the Canon EOS R5 to also be officially announced in May.
The availability for each camera is reportedly still up in the air.
I’ve also seen some reports around the web comparing the Canon EOS R6 to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III just because the sensor resolution is the same. The EOS R6 will NOT use the same sensor as the EOS-1D X Mark III.
The EOS R6 will be a big step down from the EOS R5, so please temper those expectations. It’ll still be a great camera, but it’s targetted at a very different user than the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III.
Canon EOS R6 Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
FullHD @ 120p
Dual card slots
No top-down screen
Lower resolution EVF than the EOS R5
Build quality not as good as the EOS R5
New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
June 2020 launch

Continue reading...

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
If I come through this COVID crisis and still have a job, I'm really thinking of one of these cameras. I'm thinking the R5 might be too expensive at first, but this could be a nice transition in to the R series.

Start loading us up on rumors in this space Canon Rumors Guy! The low rent district needs some love. Lol.

Brian

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I guess that it will be more like the Panasonic S1
e.g. it can read the whole sensor at 4k30p, but not at 4k60p, where it will be line-skipping and there will be a cropped mode. It might not have AF enabled in 1080p120fps mode.
And might be more like the EOS R, 8-bit internal and 10-bit external with Canon Log. I wonder if it will get two UHS-II SD card slots, as CFExpress it not justified in this case. Looks like it is targeted more at the A7III/A7IV, maybe costing half as much as the R5, whatever that will be.
Keeping the same LP-E6NH battery seems logical, anything less seems too much of a downgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess that it will be more like the Panasonic S1
e.g. it can read the whole sensor at 4k30p, but not at 4k60p, where it will be line-skipping and there will be a cropped mode. It might not have AF enabled in 1080p120fps mode.
And might be more like the EOS R, 8-bit internal and 10-bit external with Canon Log. I wonder if it will get two UHS-II SD card slots, as CFExpress it not justified in this case. Looks like it is targeted more at the A7III/A7IV
Keeping the same LP-E6NH battery seems logical, anything less seems too much of a downgrade.
line skipping doesn't work too well on a full width 20MP sensor for 4K ..

it's probably downsampled from 5.4K to 4K - DIGIC X certainly has the horses for that.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Well if it isn't the 1DX III sensor, it has to be the 1DX II one, right? But if they had to reuse a sensor, why not just the 5D IV one? That already has the redesigned micro lenses and everything.
My guess is that part of the point of the 20mp sensor is to make it easier to get high fps rates, both for stills and video.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I agree, I don't see where this camera fits in the Canon lineup UNLESS the target is for great low light performance and / or video. The 20mp makes no sense to me after seeing the 32mp APS-C sensors in the 90d & M6 II. I also don't see why they would repurpose an old sensor design in the new R body line at this point. I made sense with the R & RP as transitional cameras, but not in the "new" R family. Be interesting to see if there some unique aspect of this camera or if was just designed to hit a price point. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
I agree, I don't see where this camera fits in the Canon lineup UNLESS the target is for great low light performance and / or video. The 20mp makes no sense to me after seeing the 32mp APS-C sensors in the 90d & M6 II.
It may fit if the "R" and "RP" disappear in the future

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I still wonder what performance that 20 MP sensor will deliver...
If it's not so well at high ISO this body still gets me puzzeled.
Usually higher megapixels doesn't do well with higher iso, more pixels to introduce noise to, the 6D is only 20mp and I have been able to deliver photos to clients at 12k and higher iso

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It may fit if the "R" and "RP" disappear in the future
Canon has stated that the R and RP were more-or-less place holders. Just to get a MILC out into the market in order to start building up a library of glass. Doesn't seem like we will see second iterations of those bodies/models

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Usually higher megapixels doesn't do well with higher iso, more pixels to introduce noise to, the 6D is only 20mp and I have been able to deliver photos to clients at 12k and higher iso
That's my thought. But it would be *meh* if they'd just reuse that old sensor.
Especially as they already use the 6D2 sensor in the RP.

It's almost 100% certainty it's the exact same sensor from the 1DX3 ...but with IBIS
This is my real hope but I'd guess they'd use the older 1DX2 sensor to leave that new one especially to the 1DX3.
(although some say that the 1DX2 sensor is better at high ISO ;) )

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I agree, I don't see where this camera fits in the Canon lineup UNLESS the target is for great low light performance and / or video. The 20mp makes no sense to me after seeing the 32mp APS-C sensors in the 90d & M6 II. I also don't see why they would repurpose an old sensor design in the new R body line at this point. I made sense with the R & RP as transitional cameras, but not in the "new" R family. Be interesting to see if there some unique aspect of this camera or if was just designed to hit a price point. Time will tell.
The sensor isn't really old. It's what they just made for the brand new 1DX3, but now with an IBIS motor strapped to it in a MILC body. And for the semi-entry-level full frame space it will occupy, that works out pretty darn well. 20MP is plenty for 90% of the stuff out there. I use my 1DX2 more than any other camera I have because the sensor performs so well in nearly any situation (I'm deliberately excluding the rest of the camera feature set for obvious reasons).

All that said, the yet unknown pricing of this camera will determine where this fits. If they price it like a 6D and use it to go after the Sony A7, then $1500-1800. But then again, with a smaller body, no top-down screen, etc... Canon may be targeting a VERY aggressive price point at something like $999 and just retire the RP right now altogether. I think the EOS R sticks around for a bit longer to fill the $1800 price rage if that becomes the case. But Canon I suspect would look to replace that next as the EOS R would be the last man standing without IBIS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
This is my real hope but I'd guess they'd use the older 1DX2 sensor to leave that new one especially to the 1DX3.

No that would cost too much money. If you want to minimize the costs and maximize profit margins in your manufacturing process, then you use the same parts in as many devices as possible. The 1DX3 is what it is not because of it's sensor. It's everything else around the sensor. Particularly it's body, power, and insanity level AF system, which the R6 wont have anything like.

Upvote 0