The Canon EOS R5 has passed Bluetooth certification

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Canon has bluetooth modules that have already been approved. Typically, a approval consists of blessing the approved module as installed in a particular camera. The required tests are done by a certifited test company and the regulatory authorities bless the report. This can require approvals from many agencies around the world, so it is a exercise in bureaucracy. It is not required for production of a camera, but you can't sell one without. If the camera will be delivered on July 1, its been in production for ~10 months now. A new sensor probably needs a longer lead time yet if its totally new.

I'm very interested to know how they go about blessing the module or the report. Holy water?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
well, at least Canon didn't handle the Bluetooth cripple hammer :D

Anyone has an idea how long it usually takes between certification and announcement? I'm still betting on a release announcement before end of May, when Photokina was planned. Maybe a week prior or so.
The 1DX III development announcement was in October, certified in November, announced in January and began shipping in February.
Although the hardware is probably production ready, with the current situation, they have no reasons to rush it in any way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
Call me old fashioned...I disable everything in my cameras that is not needed for video or photography. To me battery life is more critical than BT.

In theory, I agree with you. In practice, the question is if the power consumption of the BT module is significant as compared to the rest of the camera. That depends on the actual kind of usage. When waiting hours for wild life, it might make a difference. When taking videos, or sports action with high frame rate probably not at all.

Plus, acquiring a GPS position from a phone over BT saves a lot of power compared to an inbuilt GPS. (No, I neither know nor claim if the R5 supports that, and yes, you probably don't care about the location in your EXIF. Fair enough.)

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
All I'm waiting on is the price and expected release date...

And this brings that all one step closer. :)

I own some EF-RF adapters now. One way or another there's an RF mount camera in my future. It's just a matter of which one.
Same here. On a retired 5D and a 6D for now. Maybe a 5DmkIV (or V) as next, depending on pricegab for a R5 /R6 (I would like a - cheaper - R5 stile/spec. still-camera, with few or no videofeatures).

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
You have to pass that certification in order to put that Bluetooth logo on the device. That is how you can be confid3ent that the Bluetooth radio will work with all the things it is supposed to work with.
Lol, I think there was a degree of sarcasm in Sanj's comment.

Upvote 0
Yes, but it may not come from Canon. Both Cascable (uses camera WiFi) and CamRanger (external WiFi device) are amazingly simple and reliable ways to control and move photos from your Canon wirelessly. Cascable is iOS/iPadOS and MacOS only. CamRanger’s software is cross-platform. I’ve used both for years for remote control in nature photography. Today the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is the most awesome camera viewfinder ever.

Thanks for this recommendation, I'd never heard of Cascable before, and it seems like a great option to always have in your pocket instead of bringing an intervalometer. Of course, it would be nice if Canon just gave us an intervalometer built into the R...

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
In theory, I agree with you. In practice, the question is if the power consumption of the BT module is significant as compared to the rest of the camera. That depends on the actual kind of usage. When waiting hours for wild life, it might make a difference. When taking videos, or sports action with high frame rate probably not at all.

Plus, acquiring a GPS position from a phone over BT saves a lot of power compared to an inbuilt GPS. (No, I neither know nor claim if the R5 supports that, and yes, you probably don't care about the location in your EXIF. Fair enough.)
If the phone GPS(&bluetooth on both) takes as much power as the camera inbuilt GPS, then you have not saved any power really since you'll just drain both batteries. And you can't carry little spare phone batteries as easily as spare camera batteries which you probably carry anyway. And it's way more awkward to use both since you need to bring the phone and pray that the connection will work 100%.

But if it's your only choice, then it's nice to have the option, of course. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Already sold my 5D. Prices will drop even further next month. Don't expect the R5 to stay "In stock" longer than 20 minutes at a time
Brave man, unless you have additional cameras to use between now and delivery. I decided being without my EOSR for a couple of months was a little too long, especially with the increasing possibility of it being delayed.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You have to pass that certification in order to put that Bluetooth logo on the device. That is how you can be confid3ent that the Bluetooth radio will work with all the things it is supposed to work with.
In fact, with other electronic devices, not Canon, I had already some bad surprises about BT not working while it should.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Already sold my 5D. Prices will drop even further next month. Don't expect the R5 to stay "In stock" longer than 20 minutes at a time
I expect that stock will be so limited this year that each camera store will set up wait lists with highest priority given to their best customers. General availability probably in 2021.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
A new sensor probably needs a longer lead time yet if its totally new.
Yeah, just think about all those poor prisoners who have to stick all those single tiny pixels together. The tough guys already have a particularly stiff punishment: Sony A7R IV sensors ;):p :devilish:

Upvote 0