Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
3.999,999999 :p

In fact, I am positively surprised, in particular if the R5 hits Europe at the same price level. I expected Canon to settle the R5 in a higher price range. Well, they have really decided to fight Sony. Great to see the old and the new Sumo champions in the arena. All of us users can only profit from such a strong competition.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
3.999,999999 :p

In fact, I am positively surprised, in particular if the R5 hits Europe at the same price level. I expected Canon to settle the R5 in a higher price range. Well, they have really decided to fight Sony. Great to see the old and the new Sumo champions in the arena. All of us users can only profit from such a strong competition.

It wont have the same price due to conversions, taxes, and import fees. All the cameras have different prices from USA to Europe. And please, I don´t want to be a part of the taxes and payments discussion! :D My bet is that the EOS R5 should be around 3500/3600 US dolars and it will have the price of 4500/4600€ in Europe.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
It wont have the same price due to conversions, taxes, and import fees. All the cameras have different prices from USA to Europe. And please, I don´t want to be a part of the taxes and payments discussion! :D My bet is that the EOS R5 should be around 3500/3600 US dolars and it will have the price of 4500/4600€ in Europe.
The R5 price betting shop is not yet closed, you can order now special bets on international taxes :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
$ 3,999 US but in rip-off Britain that will translate to £ 3,999 maybe more.
I guess in UK no price will be available until they really will have left Europe in 10 years (or returned to Europe), because of intermediate tax chaos :p

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I do think the RF mount hurts Canon as well though, sure there's an adapter but with RF lenses costing more than their EF equivalents, and the fact that the new bodies aren't native to the EF mount; these factors can't help but slow adoption.
Canon did something much more radical with the change from its old FD mount to the EF mount back in the late 80s/early 90s. Many Canon users were upset back then. But it was the right move, because it was a clean cut and allowed Canon to really move forward technically. This time, the transition is much smoother since EF-RF adapters seem to work very well. So users with a lot of EF glass can use it on a native mirrorless body without losing performance. I think Canon did a really great job when they created the RF mount, and they will be rewarded - within the smaller margins of an overall shrinking market that hits every camera maker, of course.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
No, the speaker said, that shots, taken form the 8k videos will have 35MP
Yeah, that's so breathtakingly impressive, given an EOS 5D IV has "only" 30 MP. The option to extract such highly resolved stills from video will blast also fast frame stills shooting into a new era. Mouthwatering in particular for wildlife, I have to say.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yeah, that's so breathtakingly impressive, given an EOS 5D IV has "only" 30 MP. The option to extract such highly resolved stills from video will blast also fast frame stills shooting into a new era. Mouthwatering in particular for wildlife, I have to say.
At what shutter speed those video frames are being taken? Is that 1/1000s or faster?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
You have to sign up for their Payboo credit card to receive a credit for the tax amount. Make sure you pay off the card before the due date because the annual interest rate is around 26%.

Funny...I've never had to do that to date.....they just send to my state, free shipping (over a certain amount)...and don't charge sales tax.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
B&H has been charging sales tax on my purchases at least since the beginning of 2019. (Ditto for amazon, adorama, and most other non-camera related online retailers that aren't fly-by-night operations trying to fly beneath the radar.)
Well, for sure they are trying to tighten up all the holes...BUT....to date, they have not tightened them up everywhere yet.
:)

And even on Amazon,.....if you buy from 3rd party sellers (not talking just cameras here, but anything) they often still do not charge sales tax, it is primarily only on items sold by Amazon that gets tax added.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
The 5D IV started at 4129 €. I would be shocked if they go below that.

The R5 is a technological war machine, and it is designed to win back
every Sony user who still has EF glass attached to their Sony.

This isn't simply declaring war, it is much more blunt a takeover notive.
No appeal possible. Which means this camera will be aggressively priced.

It will win back every percent of lost market share - plus some.

The lenses and accessories don't need to be aggressively priced,
and that is where they will make up for the lower profit margin they
have on the R5.

Remember that Canon bakes their own sensors. They don't even
need to mark up their sensors between separate business divisions
like Sony does. They have a lot of headroom for their pricing, and
any sensor becomes cheaper in making with higher production numbers.

Which is another reason why they need high sales figures, and high
sales figures are achieved with a low entry price.

On top of that all manufacturing cameras has become a lot cheaper
with reduced mechanical complexity and increased percentage of
robotic assembly. I'd be surprised if ths camera would cost more than
600 USD to make. Maybe even less than that. The rest is marketing
and mark-ups along the sales channels.

So, in response to your quote above: Prepare to be shocked.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
If you’re right...then $3999 is clearly too much and it darn well ought to be $3499 or less.

Hear that Canon? Cheaper is better!

Just curious.

Is another $500 above your "wish price" going to break the deal for you?

I mean, just save up another couple of months and buy the damned thing if you want it, you know?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
And there are millions of people who work under the minimum wage because of the disgusting Minimum Tipped Wage rule where states can set the minimum wage as low as $3.89 and corporations can pool take the money left by patrons as tips to redistribute do whatever they want with.

Way back in the day....I worked restaurants....waiter and bar tender.

I was VERY happy with the set up, as that even back then, I made WAAAAAY over minimum wage. It was a sweet deal, especially for a kid in HS and college.

Its kinda like how people want to get rid of 1099 contract working and try to force everyone to be a W2 wage employee.

Its good for some, maybe for most, however...some of us don't mind putting on the "big boy pants" and do things like incorporate ourselves....take time to do the math to figure out the bill rate needed for our salary, taxes, medical, employment taxes, etc....etc.

If you know what you're worth and negotiate your bill rate, contracting can be quite lucrative and the freedom is an amazing benefit.

So, it's not a one size fits all.

And at least with the Tipped Wage situation, if you're good at it, you can make VERY good money as a tipped employee. If you can't do that, well...there's always burger flipping for W2 full min. wage...or other careers, you know?

At least, that's my experience.

I never had to work where the company touched my tips (not the cash ones, and when I checked out, they paid me my CC tips immediately). If there are places that do that, well...if the $$ wasn't there I expected...I'd find a new place to work.

Again, even here...the individual has the responsibility to work where they can make the most $$. But I believe it is rare the restaurant that forces pooling of tips. Kitchen staff are not tipped employees.
When working bar, the bartenders tend to pool the tips for all that are on staff for that shift...since everyone is covering all patrons....but again, at end of shift...you get YOUR tips....

C

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
lol you seem to hate on sony for no apparent reason. it's always good to have competition - keeps canon on its toes.

I guess you seem to have missed the past several years of Sony fan boys hating on Canon users as some sort of Neanderthals using a system that has NO innovation. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
In the past everyone who didn't live in NY state didn't have to pay sales tax when buying from Adorama. Not so any more. Since a landmark Supreme Court decision in 2018 almost 40 states have passed legislation requiring out of state sellers to collect sales tax on sales shipped to those states. If California hasn't done so already, it's just a matter of time.

When's the last time you bought anything from Adorama and weren't charged sales tax?

A week or two ago from B&H....why?

And no...I did not use any sort of Payboo or whatever you're talking about either...used my own CCs....sometimes visa some times Apple Pay, whichever I get the most % cash back with....

But no special cards, no house accounts and no "rebates"...they simply did not charge sales tax, nor did they charge shipping since it was over their min. purchase for free shipping which I think is like $49?

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Just curious.

Is another $500 above your "wish price" going to break the deal for you?

I mean, just save up another couple of months and buy the damned thing if you want it, you know?

No, but every dollar saved on the body is a dollar available to apply to a lens.

How about: Buy three f2.8 RF lenses, get a free R5 body?

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I do think the RF mount hurts Canon as well though, sure there's an
adapter but with RF lenses costing more than their EF equivalents,
and the fact that the new bodies aren't native to the EF mount; these
factors can't help but slow adoption.

Vice versa. Canon pulled off something genius with that.
Some newer EF lenses had been prepared for onboard
correction data and higher bus clock, but no DSLR ever
made use of it. Now there's the simple adapter, shipping
basically for free with every new RF camera. It makes use
of these advanced features in select EF lenses and being
mirrorless, there is no more back/front focus.

That alone means that EF lenses perform on RF bodies at
least as good as on EF-DSLRs - or better.

But there's more: Imagine being able to use one single
polarizer or vari-ND filter with all your EF glass, no matter
which. Filmmakers now can open up all the way and still
shoot 180 degree shutter. Landscape shooters don't need
those big tiles of glass and clunky filter holders anymore
for polarizers. And they need only one small filter for all
their lenses.

And last but not least, the RF mount allows the construction
of lenses that had been impossible before. All RF lenses so
far have proven to be stellar performers.

So, no: The RF mount doesn't hurt Canon, it hurts every other
manufacturer.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Any camera can be a sports shooter; you can use a cell phone to film track and field. In fact the most popular camera at any sporting event has been the cell phone camera for many years now. My post was in reply to someone who said the R5 will make the 1DXIII obsolete. My point was the 1DX fills a niche (fast action, long distances, long whites) that the R5 does not fill and is not meant to fill. Just like Canon's Cinema series cameras fills a niche that the R5 was not meant to fill. I could say the R5 is not a Cinematic camera; does that mean you cannot shoot an entire feature film on it? No, it simply means that it was not designed to do so.
Obsolete entirely no. High mechanical FPS is required in some applications. Primarily use to increase the odds of "getting the shot". You're talking about consumers and amateurs. Get real. "Any camera can be a sports shooter". Yeah if shooting family or friends and for recreational purposes. I have been shooting professionally assignment and freelance for over two decades. ALL cameras are niche devices. Period. The majority of camera operators that I know, do not solely shoot one and only one genre. Network connection, FPS being the primary reason. And it being supplied and paid for the other reason. To get THE shot. Those that already have name and recognition have the ability to get THE shot regardless if using the 5D or the 1Dx. If you know the sport and the coreographed movements you can get the shot with either device. I know. because I have owned both. When shooting in Rio in 2016, I rarely took the 1dxII to any venues. I rarely returned directly to the hotel following. The hefty 1dx2 was not the item to be with at 2am. The entire start of any world class sprint race is only 0- 20m and only 15 strides. This is within 2.5 seconds including the 110m hurdle touchdown. Yes, the 5dmk3 is capable of getting all those strides from the worlds fastest humans from the blocks to the 20m point. If you know what you're doing and not merely pressing the shutter. As many do (spray & pray). When one is being paid and provided with the device to increase the odds of "getting the shot" and are tasked with shooting multiple events, they chose the 1dx for reliability. Skill, knowledge of the craft and of the event is the equalizer. While assisting in the development of Olympic track coach athletes, I have acquired the skill to get the shot file most easier with knowledge of the correographed & predetermined movements. Either device fits the application. With skill they are interchangeable for the application. Both appropriate for the task. It's done on a regular basis. Professionally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0