The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
Not really sure what we are waiting on at this point. Tomorrow is just as good as sometime in July to announce it unless they are holding off for the virus to come to an end(which could be another six months). Ether way it will be interesting to get a glimpse at what is coming up next, even if it wont matter until wildlife lenses come out.
I’m guessing that they want to have as many R5s ready to ship soon after the release announcement as possible. Canon probably want to avoid announcing a camera then having a 3 month wait before they can sell any of them. Their manufacturing capabilities have almost certainly been affected so it’s probably taking a lot longer than usual.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
It will more than that. Depending on the horizontal resolution of the 8K mode (I don't think this information has been released) you have two minimum resolutions the R5 could have:
8K UHD - 7680 pixels wide gives a minimum of 39.3MP
"DCI" 8K - 8192 pixels wide gives a minimum of 44.7MP
Somewhere in Canon's press releases, DCI 4K is specified, and both 4K and 8K are uncropped so the resolution has to be 8192 wide, plus or minus nothing. The fact that this fits with the early rumours of 45 MP doesn't prove it, but it fits nicely.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The R6 may be the first camera I have ever pre-ordered, it will make a great gimbal companion to the C200 and replacement for the GH5. If by some unimaginable circumstance the R5 does come in below $3500, I might spring for that instead because of the 4K120FPS spec. The big question of course is what is crippled and how badly.

Upvote 0
Not really sure what we are waiting on at this point. Tomorrow is just as good as sometime in July to announce it unless they are holding off for the virus to come to an end(which could be another six months). Either way it will be interesting to get a glimpse at what is coming up next, even if it wont matter until wildlife lenses come out.
depends what you use it for not everyone shoots wildlife :) I have been a professional with my sole income being photography for 30 + years, have never owned a wildlife lens , and for that matter only ever shot one wedding, but I do want this camera asap

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
If by some unimaginable circumstance the R5 does come in below $3500, I might spring for that instead because of the 4K120FPS spec. The big question of course is what is crippled and how badly.
No way is Canon going to tease us with the best of the specs, then save the disappointing bits for the full announcement. That would be incredibly bad marketing by Canon, letting us down just when we are on the point of hitting the Buy button, and I just don't see that happening. That said, I'm still anxious to know about the EVF, which will make it or break it for me and I know for many others too...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Now that we have a month's notice, maybe we should we start a forum discussion where we can start practicing excuses to justify the purchase to loved ones and concerned onlookers.

"Yes, I already have a camera, but I don't have that camera!"
"Its impossible to do my work and it takes away so many chances from my business. I cant earn money without this camera and this costs more in the long run!" :D

• Haha
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
No way is Canon going to tease us with the best of the specs, then disappoint us when the full announcement comes. That would be incredibly bad marketing by Canon, letting us down just when we are on the point of hitting the Buy button, and I just don't see that happening. That said, I'm still anxious to know about the EVF, which will make it or break it for me and I know for many others too...

The problem is, the specs that will really sell it for me are niche specs that most other people don't seem to care about, I'm not saying they will do something as bad as use MJPEG for 4K like the 5DIV but I want the R6 to achieve feature parity with the GH5 in obscure ways that Canon has yet to achieve. Below are the features that the GH5 has that I feel Canon will not match:

• Dual slot video recording - On every body except their cinema line Canon only records video to one slot (not sure about the 1DC or 1DXIII) which makes having dual slots useless for video
  • Recording limit - this is a big gripe of mine, I need a b cam for long interviews, conferences, documentaries, etc. having a recording limit in 2020 is ridiculous; the GH5 doesn't have it and neither does the S1H yet the 1DXIII still has it
  • XLR Module - All of my audio gear uses XLR jacks so for maximum interoperability I need an XLR module for the R6
  • Exposure Tools - the WFM is my favorite exposure tool, I would love this on the R6
  • Clog3 - With Clog3 I could effortlessly match the C200 with the R6 in post
The GH5 has all of this but it also has terrible color science and no AF, I'm tired of manual focus on a gimbal, in run and gun scenarios you throw away a lot of footage trying to manually focus. If the R6 has all of these features I might even get two bodies (C200 A cam, R6 B-cam, and R6 gimbal cam)

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
It will more than that. Depending on the horizontal resolution of the 8K mode (I don't think this information has been released) you have two minimum resolutions the R5 could have:
8K UHD - 7680 pixels wide gives a minimum of 39.3MP
"DCI" 8K - 8192 pixels wide gives a minimum of 44.7MP
And it could be 100+ MP with the 8k footage downscaled from 12k, but not likely. 45MP is hard to argue against. Conveniently close to the geometric mean between the latest A7 and A7R.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Can anyone predict if the R6 will be small like RF? Or does anyone know? If yes, I will sell my RF while I can still get a good price and update with R6. THXXX
It is surely going to be a bit bigger then the RP, as it uses the same LP-E6NH battery as the R5
And it also has the dual card slots (likely dual SD, maybe one is UHS-I and the other UHS-II), probably moved away from the battery as well.
But it won't have the full metal chassis, so I suspect, it may be slightly lighter than the R even with the IBIS, maybe around 600g CIPA rate.

It will be over 2000$, so it won't affect the RP's 1000$ pricing in any way.

Upvote 0
Now that we have a month's notice, maybe we should we start a forum discussion where we can start practicing excuses to justify the purchase to loved ones and concerned onlookers.

"Yes, I already have a camera, but I don't have that camera!"

The solution is simple...
Go to your camera setting and set up the white balance, EV, and others so that the exposures will be so off the wall that it looks like the camera has a major failure. Take a few photos around the house spouse, the dog, cat, whatever, then start yelling and screaming that your camera has died. Show her the photos while whimpering and shedding some fake tears.

You're welcome. :p

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Shooting wildlife I recently learned from a guy who had a new 1D X III, that its low light performance is really impressive. So I hope the R6 will serve stills shooters looking for clean images @ high ISOs about the same way. Not everyone wants a big dual grip camera body.
I have both the 1-DX Mark III and the EOS-R and the 1-DX files are no cleaner than the EOS-R ones, I can assure you. Plus, the resolution is 50% lower so...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Go to your camera setting and set up the white balance, EV, and others so that the exposures will be so off the wall that it looks like the camera has a major failure. Take a few photos around the house spouse, the dog, cat, whatever, then start yelling and screaming that your camera has died. Show her the photos while whimpering and shedding some fake tears.

I think you have really put some thought into this...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HAHA Amazing! This is the answer guys. We did it!

• Haha
Upvote 0