The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

Dec 25, 2017
Hello Hector

The World is changing and this new mirrorless cameras are getting better and better! Not all videographers can work with high budgets or can afford a Canon C500mkII. The mirrorless world is helping a lot specially freelancers. From low budget advertise videos, to a full documentary this cameras are more and more in "the bag" and in use of videographers.

I can give you my example, I am working more and more with mirrorless to film. And despite I have a Sony Fs5 mkII I often use a Sony A7r3 to film and also a Canon 1dx mkII and a Canon EOS R with an Atomos shogun. Because mirrorless cameras (and dslrs) are much more practical to use, smaller that you can use on gimbals, they can carry much better than big video cameras and the weight is of course, less. So the mirrorless gives you a lot of great reasons to work with thems. Yes, most of the works you see with mirrorless on the Web is vlogging because thats a free content that content creators put on the web. Guys like me that work on video we don´t put content for free on Web. Well...a least most of the times. We work for clients and the videos re delivered to them. When we don´t work for clients we can also make our own content. I can show you here a small part of a documentary shot on Antarctica.I also have used the Sony FS5 mkII but in this footage that I show you it´s 100% with Sony A7r3 and Canon 1dx mkII.
I am looking forward with anxiety for the EOS R5 to sell all my Sony Equipment and back to Canon 100%. I like Sony but Canon is so much better!! Even the EOS R gives me more pleasure to use, than the A7r3. I am waiting for so long for Canon....but I am so happy now with this BOMB, the R5! Can´t wait to have it!

SO....Answering you...Yes, mirrorless are in use more and more in professional filmmaking and not only Vloggers! ;)

Yes....I am wating since 2017 for this one!! Canon slept a little bit, but woke up in strength!!! :D This one is a hell of a Camera!! Looking forward!! :D
Awesome work and great post! :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Btw, on the contrary, it casts some doubt Canon supports a non-existent standard, therefore all derived calculations on 45mp can be questioned.

You can look at it another way. If 4K DCI is full width of sensor, but 4K UHD is not, what would be the reason for this?

The reason is of course that the sensor width is a multiple of 4K DCI width, so it is easy/easiest to make the DCI mode full width (no crop).

If sensor width matched 8K UHD in width, then 4K UHD would be full width (no crop). 4K DCI would be much more resource problematic to implement in full width than 4K UHD. In fact, the processor would probably not have enough power to operate in full width 4K DCI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome work and great post! :)

Thank you so much peters!!

One thing I didn´t mention of the "benefits" of using mirrorless cameras to film is the awesome autofocus! Not so many years ago film was almost exclusively made in manual focus, because film cameras autofocus were completely unreliable and we couldn´t use it. It was erratic and very inaccurate. In this days, AF in videocameras has improved but nothing that compares to AF in DSLRS or Mirrorless! I see myself today with almost 100% trust to film with AF with mirrorless and dslr and that is a huge improvement and helps a lot specially in wildlife. So AF is a big advantage that video guys can now enjoy.
And what about Canon DPAF? It´s just wonderful!! :) IF this EOS R5 and the R6 are what we think they are, I am thinking in replacing the FS5 and the 1dx mkII for the two of them. I maybe keep the EOS R for a while I do like to film with her paired with an Atomos.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
How do we know 4K UHD is not the full width in the R5?

I was going to ignore this question as being trolling. But then I saw your photos, and you are obviously a skilled photographer and not just someone having sick fun trolling forums on the internet all day. So I'm going to follow you on Flickr and assume your question was seriously meant...

Canon has officially stated the following about R5's video-capabilities:

No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
* When in 8K RAW, 8K/4K DCI modes.

Some has been arguing that the "DCI" might only be related to 4K (which is looking kind of borderish-trolling to me, but I have chosen to take it as a serious opinion). But for sure it says 4K DCI is full-width of the sensor.

Of course, technically you could argue that they do not directly say that 4K UHD ain't also full-width, but if you argue that, then you definitely are a troll (I might still follow you on Flickr, though) :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Of course, technically you could argue that they do not directly say that 4K UHD ain't also full-width, but if you argue that, then you definitely are a troll

I'm only saying there's no direct undeniable evidence the R5 will support 8K DCI and therefore will have about 45mp. Same for 4K UHD. There's still room for doubt. It's not trolling, it's just critical reasoning :)

But I've acknowledged in this thread it's very probable it has 45mp. Lots of things point to it, only indirectly. So it's probable, but not 'confirmed'.

Thanks for the warm words btw - to be honest I've almost abandoned Flickr after all their changes, limits on the group postings etc.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Thank you so much peters!!

One thing I didn´t mention of the "benefits" of using mirrorless cameras to film is the awesome autofocus! Not so many years ago film was almost exclusively made in manual focus, because film cameras autofocus were completely unreliable and we couldn´t use it. It was erratic and very inaccurate. In this days, AF in videocameras has improved but nothing that compares to AF in DSLRS or Mirrorless! I see myself today with almost 100% trust to film with AF with mirrorless and dslr and that is a huge improvement and helps a lot specially in wildlife. So AF is a big advantage that video guys can now enjoy.
And what about Canon DPAF? It´s just wonderful!! :) IF this EOS R5 and the R6 are what we think they are, I am thinking in replacing the FS5 and the 1dx mkII for the two of them. I maybe keep the EOS R for a while I do like to film with her paired with an Atomos.
Ha jeah, its indeed SUCH an important tool. Most video guys dont have the money and production size for a dedicated focus puller - which is expensive, needs to have experience and also needs a lot of extra gear (video connection and extra screen, the focus puller itself - thats easily another 2000$ AT LEAST.). With DPAF its just working as good as manual and you dont need to do anything... its so awesome.
But what I found equally important is a good IS. I found this, when I got the Panasonic Lumix S1H. Its sooo much easier to get a good image out of the camera. The 1DX (while offering a beautifull image quality right out of the box) is quite top-heavy and in my experience you need a lot of equipment to keep it steady. the S1H can be used handheld quite easily.
I have I hopes for the R5 - with both, IBIS AND DPAF its a super versatile tool =)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I do not understand the concern about exact Mpx? It will be around 40. What difference if 5 more or less?

In the real world, of course, it will make no difference. No one will be able to tell the difference between 45 mp and 39 mp. But on internet forums...well, every little thing is blown way out of proportion. :) Just my opinion, of course!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
In the real world, of course, it will make no difference. No one will be able to tell the difference between 45 mp and 39 mp. But on internet forums...well, every little thing is blown way out of proportion. :) Just my opinion, of course!

Big difference for me since I’ve been waiting for a 5DsR replacement for some time. 45 mp is close enough, but 39 is not enough of a increase from the R for me. I’ll instead spend the money on RF glass and wait for the higher res version next year.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
The resolution for the R5 has been confirmed for a while: 45MP. Also, Canon Rumors is stating as [CR3] (fact) that the R6 is going to be 20MP.
As I have noted, that is the assumption. Canon has NEVER confirmed that. It is not a fact until Canon states so.
The 45MP figure is extrapolated from the 8K RAW spec. Yet interestingly, Canon has never confirmed that yet they could have for no cost.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Big difference for me since I’ve been waiting for a 5DsR replacement for some time. 45 mp is close enough, but 39 is not enough of a increase from the R for me. I’ll instead spend the money on RF glass and wait for the higher res version next year.
Maybe it is 180MP with binning to make 8K RAW. ;)

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Hello Hector

The World is changing and this new mirrorless cameras are getting better and better! Not all videographers can work with high budgets or can afford a Canon C500mkII. The mirrorless world is helping a lot specially freelancers. From low budget advertise videos, to a full documentary this cameras are more and more in "the bag" and in use of videographers.

I can give you my example, I am working more and more with mirrorless to film. And despite I have a Sony Fs5 mkII I often use a Sony A7r3 to film and also a Canon 1dx mkII and a Canon EOS R with an Atomos shogun. Because mirrorless cameras (and dslrs) are much more practical to use, smaller that you can use on gimbals, they can carry much better than big video cameras and the weight is of course, less. So the mirrorless gives you a lot of great reasons to work with thems. Yes, most of the works you see with mirrorless on the Web is vlogging because thats a free content that content creators put on the web. Guys like me that work on video we don´t put content for free on Web. Well...a least most of the times. We work for clients and the videos re delivered to them. When we don´t work for clients we can also make our own content. I can show you here a small part of a documentary shot on Antarctica.I also have used the Sony FS5 mkII but in this footage that I show you it´s 100% with Sony A7r3 and Canon 1dx mkII.
I am looking forward with anxiety for the EOS R5 to sell all my Sony Equipment and back to Canon 100%. I like Sony but Canon is so much better!! Even the EOS R gives me more pleasure to use, than the A7r3. I am waiting for so long for Canon....but I am so happy now with this BOMB, the R5! Can´t wait to have it!

SO....Answering you...Yes, mirrorless are in use more and more in professional filmmaking and not only Vloggers! ;)

Yes....I am wating since 2017 for this one!! Canon slept a little bit, but woke up in strength!!! :D This one is a hell of a Camera!! Looking forward!! :D
Thanks Go Wild - lovely video. Best of luck with your work

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Maybe it is 180MP with binning to make 8K RAW. ;)

I said a while back it could be 80-90 mp with downsampling. Given the already-announced specs of the R5, I believe Canon could pull it off, but I kinda doubt they went that route.

Still – Canon's either holding back the resolution spec because it's lower than expected or higher than expected. I seriously doubt it will be right at 45 mp. If it is 45 mp, it's dumb they didn't release the mp spec with the rest of the specs.

Upvote 0
As I said before the reason for the ambiguous specs is that DCI have yet to publish any 8K standards. Canon cannot advertise a camera as being compliant with a standard that does not exist. However, the resolution of any future 8K DCI standard is almost guaranteed to be 8192x4320 so it’s very likely the R5 will be able to record in this resolution.

Very True! DCI simply does not YET publish any definitive standard related to 1.89:1 Aspect Ratio Moving Image Acquisition.

DCI 8k is, in this case, a PRESUMPTIVE de-facto standard mostly created by Red for their Monstro cameras that MANY in the Hollywood cinema production community adhere to on an ad-hoc basis within the production pipeline of acquisition, editing, FX, rendering and final output file formatting. Everyone PRESUMES DCI 8k will happen so IT WILL HAPPEN as a new standard as soon as people get back together to agree upon an actual ISO or corporate-group DCI 8K standard.

And the NEXT standards WILL BE true DCI-8k Production at 8192 by 4320 pixels at 16 bits per colour and alpha channel at 120 fps AND a 10-to-15-years-into-the-future DCI-16k Production at 16384 by 8640 pixels at 16-bits per colour channel at possibly 300 fps to allow for EASY conversion to North American 60 fps and European 50 fps home consumer display frame rates which will STILL be present in 10 to 15 years. The high frame 120 fps and 300 fps frame rates ALSO allow for easy Stereoscopic 3D production where BOTH eyes get full resolution minimum 50/60 fps imagery 4:2:2 10 bits per channel video that still fits into the bandwidth of what will be typical home high-speed internet and Netflix connections between 75 to 150 megabits per second using H.265 type of video compression.

This new Canon R5 Camera, even at 30 fps de-facto DCI-8k video could have that footage UP-REZzed to high frame rate 60 fps and 120 fps to FIT VERY NICELY into the next true DCI 8k standard of production. For about $4000 US, MANY filmmakers on a very limited budget can get a GREAT camera that will fulfill MANY aspects of 8k production. It's not C500 mk2 or C700 FF quality ...BUT... it's a great start for that recent film school grad and street-photo-style documentary filmmaker!

This R5 camera, in my opinion, is another Canon 5D mk 2 which so blew away the filmmaking community 10+ years ago. It will have the same effect in terms of getting some young director/cinematographer become another J.J. Abrams, Guillermo del Toro or Spike Lee. They all started out small with small but SHARP gear and they got noticed. This R5 is another SHARP TOOL at a good price to give that hungry new talent some extra breathing room to bring compelling imagery to a cinema or home screen!

I commend Canon for having the guts to pull something like the R5 off at $4000 US -- they WILL get a lot of sales out this. The Canon 1Dx Mk3 will NOT have its sales be cannibalized since it's in a completely DIFFERENT market (i.e. sports/action still photos!) And even the C200 won't be damaged market-wise because it too is in a different market. (B-and-C-cam 24 fps 35mm-style 4K/1080 commercials and business videos)

This R5 fills a nice NICHE in studio portraiture, landscape stills and true low-budget 24 and 30 fps 4K/8K filmmaking!

Once Canon comes out with an Alexa-killer by giving the Hollywood community a DCI 8K 120 fps GLOBAL SHUTTER SENSOR with DPAF in a full-frame or MF sensor C700 body those avid R5'ers will upgrade to the new Canon Cinema EOS 8K gear in very short order!

V

Upvote 0