Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Well for me I am in a serious situation.

Because borders are closed to normal travel, I will have to purchase the the EOS R6 online at B&H and ship it to my country. Incurring an additional $918 us dollars in import duty and local tax. So if the R6 is $2500, my cost will be $3418.

I will have to wait for borders to reopen, so I can get someone to bring it in their luggage, to avoid the ridiculous duty and taxes.

Who knows when that will be ;(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Well for me I am in a serious situation.

Because borders are closed to normal travel, I will have to purchase the the EOS R6 online at B&H and ship it to my country. Incurring an additional $918 us dollars in import duty and local tax. So if the R6 is $2500, my cost will be $3418.

I will have to wait for borders to reopen, so I can get someone to bring it in their luggage, to avoid the ridiculous duty and taxes.

Who knows when that will be ;(
Good job you’re not a desperate gearhead who can afford to wait to buy it at a reasonable price ;);)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Out of curiosity I just looked at the Sony Alpha rumor site. This was their news:
"RUMOR: Sony A7sIII official announcement after the EOS-R5 launch" :rolleyes:
Now I don't revel in bashing Sony, but anyone reading their comments about the (again) postponed announcement of the A7s3 will probably understand their frustration, where there were more positive comments about Canon than I thought possible. It seems to me that Sony knows the A7S3 can't compete on ability with the R5(or R6 price), so all they can do is see what Canon's pricing is so that they can try to compete with a lesser price. I guess this will make a lot of the Canon rumors people smile. :sneaky:

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Out of curiosity I just looked at the Sony Alpha rumor site. This was their news:
Now I don't revel in bashing Sony, but anyone reading their comments about the (again) postponed announcement of the A7s3 will probably understand their frustration, where there were more positive comments about Canon than I thought possible. It seems to me that Sony knows the A7S3 can't compete on ability with the R5(or R6 price), so all they can do is see what Canon's pricing is so that they can try to compete with a lesser price. I guess this will make a lot of the Canon rumors people smile. :sneaky:

They had the best selling camera in the A7III for a long time... So it would make sense that they dragged their feet on introducing a new body, when there wasn't any real competition. But now with R5 and R6, they will have to update themselves.

Unfortunately for them, as long as they have that outdated EMount design, they wont be able to match the Canon system of body and lense. IMO of course

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016

They have been predicting an successor to the A7S2 for years. But the truth is the A7S2 did not sell well enough, so Sony will likely not release a follow up.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
They had the best selling camera in the A7III for a long time... So it would make sense that they dragged their feet on introducing a new body, when there wasn't any real competition. But now with R5 and R6, they will have to update themselves.

Unfortunately for them, as long as they have that outdated EMount design, they wont be able to match the Canon system of body and lense. IMO of course

It's IBIS that is hurt by the tiny E-Mount.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, so it is true. Sony posters whine about Sony and praise Canon, while over here Canon posters whine about Canon and praise Sony.

Sort of like Chevy and Ford owners...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be something if the R5/6 are a joint effort with Sony to exchange sensor tech for RF mount licensing? And all new Sony bodies would be RF mount, and Sony could move away from the restrictive E-mount without having to make a single lens. Minds blown.

The Zeiss-like sharpness and wide open bokeh character of the RF L lenses has had me suspicious for a while now of some sort of Canon/Sony/Zeiss alliance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Reading some of the comments at SARS, it's curious. It's being painted as if the R5 is its competition. As far as I know, the A7SIII is succeeding a low megapixel, lowlight beast making it ideal for video. So, that has nothing on the R5. It's real competitor is more likely the R6. Maybe that's what Sony's real concern is. They have nothing that can compete with the R5... really, no camera manufacturer can at this point. The R6 in that A7S series market is what they have to worry about when it comes to pricing it competitively. It will be interesting to see how it matches up against the R6 when it comes to specs. I know Sony users have been asking for 10 bit 4:2:2 and 4K60 for a long time, which the R6 will have.

It does make me feel kinda fuzzy knowing that the probable reality is Sony is gunning for Canon's 2nd best camera.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Wouldn't it be something if the R5/6 are a joint effort with Sony to exchange sensor tech for RF mount licensing? And all new Sony bodies would be RF mount, and Sony could move away from the restrictive E-mount without having to make a single lens. Minds blown.

The Zeiss-like sharpness and wide open bokeh character of the RF L lenses has had me suspicious for a while now of some sort of Canon/Sony/Zeiss alliance.
That is some fun speculation. But it has a sprinkle too much Harry in it for me :LOL:

There is nothing that Canon needs Sony for in terms of sensor tech. Despite the Dual Pixel design they have now matched Sony in DR, exceeded it in throughput and in terms of Color they were always ahead anyway. Once they decide to make more use of the two photo diodes per Pixel they can crush Sony in terms of DR as demonstrated in the C300 III and to a lesser degree, DPRAW with custom software. Sure there is the stacked sensor. But Canon is all about keeping costs low. And so far stacked sensor designs aren't about that at all.

In any case, they won't give up DPAF after slowly building up a reputation around it for so long.

And in terms of lenses, that has always been Canon's strength. Part of that certainly was their superior mount, but they have had a reputation for excellent lenses far back. And their new mount is just EF with a shorter flange distance, removing even more restrictions for the designers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I remember using my 5DmkIV for the first time at 120fps and being pretty disappointed. Only 720p and no AF made it not much fun for me to play around with.
So with the R5 confirmed to have 4K at 120fps without a crop and with DPAF has me very excited!

I am very curious what it will do in 1080p which is what I would likely use anyway.

Upvote 0