Further clarification of what will be announced by Canon next month

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I still can’t believe the F/11 teles. It is so disappointing that this is what canon is giving us amateur wildlife photographers who want something in the 600mm to 800mm range, but don’t/can’t pony up $13k for a new 600mm f/4 or 800 f/5.6. F/11, are you kidding me? I guess if you want to shoot between 1030-11:15 AM, great.
Just go the sigma. It may not be a native canon but it still works well enough. The 100-500 may be a good piece of kit despite the 7.1 max ap but it will still come in at 3k which means the sigma is likely to remain a better buy

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Do we know for the fact that RF extenders haven’t been designed to be compatible with this very lens?
The more comments I see about the new RF extenders, the more confused I get.

if, as some say, the RF 70-200mm isn't compatible due to the lens elements being too close to the mount leaving no room for the extender, will this not effect most of the RF glass range as the whole point of the RF mount is to reduce distance between the sensor, flange and 1st element??

Are the RF extenders therefore going to be like the RF drop in filter mounts, where they can only be used with EF glass?

If so, this is pretty poor for anyone with native RF lenses. I suppose all will be revealed on 09/07/20.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
They gotta have something to complain about. Everyone wants 200-400 w/ 1.4TC F4 performance, but few want to pay the price. They want good high iso performance, which we have in spades for the last several years, but then don't want to use it on a slower lens.

I remain optimistic about these lenses in the new mirrorless system. They built this lens with a use case in mind. We'll learn more about what that is when they release it. Maybe it will be for me, maybe it wont. Or maybe for many, or maybe just a few. We'll see.

Also, is this confirmed as a mirror lens? I thought the patents I saw were not mirrored lenses. Of course, that doesn't mean this lens matches those patents posted here before.

-Brian

No. They want a 150-600 non L like the tamron or sigmas but native and not third party. The 100-500 might be nice but it will be 3k.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
No. They want a 150-600 non L like the tamron or sigmas but native and not third party. The 100-500 might be nice but it will be 3k.
This is highly unlikely for the near future. Nikon will have a 200-600 zoom at some point to match Sony, while Canon went for a different route (at least for now).

With the recent introduction of the Sigma 100-400mm designed for mirrorless, it suggests that third parties might offer a lens like that in a few years' time as well.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
if, as some say, the RF 70-200mm isn't compatible due to the lens elements being too close to the mount leaving no room for the extender, will this not effect most of the RF glass range as the whole point of the RF mount is to reduce distance between the sensor, flange and 1st element??
In short, yes. But teleconverters on anything except long, fast lenses have always been a poor substitute for having the correct lens for the job. Sure there is a case for occasional use, but with 45 MP to play with I would often choose a 1.4x crop in preference to a 1.4x TC. That way I get to shoot with a bare lens and still get a 22.5 MP image which is more than enough for many purposes - bearing in mind this is an occasional use thing. I know there will be situations where a TC would be useful, and maybe a better choice, but if it's happening often then maybe you have the wrong lens.

The other point I would make is admittedly a little self-serving, but still valid I think: I want Canon to offer the best possible Extenders, optimised for the RF big whites starting with the 100-500. I don't want performance to be compromised by making them compatible with smaller lenses.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
In short, yes. But teleconverters on anything except long, fast lenses have always been a poor substitute for having the correct lens for the job. Sure there is a case for occasional use, but with 45 MP to play with I would often choose a 1.4x crop in preference to a 1.4x TC. That way I get to shoot with a bare lens and still get a 22.5 MP image which is more than enough for many purposes - bearing in mind this is an occasional use thing. I know there will be situations where a TC would be useful, and maybe a better choice, but if it's happening often then maybe you have the wrong lens.

The other point I would make is admittedly a little self-serving, but still valid I think: I want Canon to offer the best possible Extenders, optimised for the RF big whites starting with the 100-500. I don't want performance to be compromised by making them compatible with smaller lenses.
Makes sense, Ive never used extenders / teleconverters so was only looking at these as a new option instead of forking out a large sum of money for a big white I may only use rarely.

You make a good point about cropping when using a smaller lenses like the one's I have. I just need to sort out my ability to focus on the subject a little more and refine which AF modes / points Im using lol. Looks like the R5's IBIS combined with the RF Glass IBIS could be a massive help with this when handheld. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Sure hope so - I feel decidedly ignored and left-out by Canon at the moment - we (those that embraced the EF-M format and gave Canon the No1 slot in Japananese mirrorless camera sales in the M50) are not all future would-be RF adopters. Clearly NOT EVERYONE is going to drop their EF-M kit and rush to buy the R bodies and their ridiculously heavy and expensive RF lenses.... Please don't ignore us Canon - Sigma saved your skin (with the launch of their beautiful trio of f/1.4 lenses) but Sony is waiting round the corner with open opens for would-be Canon refugees.

Or maybe Canon and Sony had a meeting in some smoke filled back room and Canon agreed to throw Sony a bone in the form of the tiny mirror less market, since Canon clearly has plans for the regular (full?) size mirrorless market.

That would be one way to avoid antitrust issues.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Unless I missed it somewhere, I want to see what the ISO range is, how many AF points there will be and how long it will take for me to save up for it.
- ISO range is just a marketing thing - you can be sure that the top end will be almost unusable.
- More AF points than you could possibly want. My worry is that (unless Canon has a new technology they haven't leaked yet) there will be no cross-type points so focusing could be iffy on certain subjects.
- Yeah we all want to know the price and availability!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Those lens cases seem like they are optional accessory for the tele lenses which is a bummer.

Don’t want to read too much into it, but the lack of an included hood with the new tele’s doesn’t seem too encouraging as far a quality goes. Of course I suppose it’s very encouraging on price. I know Canon doesn’t typically include hoods on non L lenses but who doesn’t use a hood on an 800mm lens? I could care less about the case.

Maybe.

The fact that they list the new LP-E6NH battery as a distinct product does not preclude that a single copy of the new battery is included with the camera, does it?

After all, one can also separately buy the cases and hoods for all of the "L" lenses which are supplied with cases and hoods. It just means Canon will have a separate SKU for the individual hoods, cases, and batteries in addition to including some of them with the SKU for certain lenses or camera bodies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If there is a wireless transmitter, does it mean that at least one of R5/R6 will not have a wifi built-in? It doesn't sound good.

Not necessarily. The EOS1D X Mark III has built in WiFi and also an optional external WFT for when a transmitter with more power is needed for greater distances.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not necessarily, the 1DX MkIII has WiFi built in 2.4GHz but also has a dongle WFT to enable 5GHz.

Doesn't the 1D X Mark III also have built-in 5GHz? Just that it is very range limited at 5GHz due to the reduced power of the internal transmitter?

The built-in transmitter is not as powerful as the external WFT's transmitter. Even with a "full" (as in FCC limited) power transmitter, 5GHz range is fairly limited compared to 2.4GHz. I'd be surprised if the external WFT works very well at 5GHz further than about 30 feet/10 meters, even less if there are any walls involved.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I hope we get something like AC-E6N and DR-E6

Any LP-E6 form AC coupler will fit and work in a camera that uses any of the LP-E6 variants. Why would you need an AC adapter specifically for the higher capacity version of a battery when the adapter is plugged into a wall socket that does not have limited capacity (in terms of how long it will last)?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I just want this. View finder, same sensor as my M6ii and IBIS.

Im ready when ever they are ready.

Everything on this list is an RF product. The more consumer oriented EF-M products will likely be announced closer to the holiday shopping season. That's when Canon usually introduces consumer level products.

Last edited:
Upvote 0