Further clarification of what will be announced by Canon next month

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think Canon needs to release one with rangefinder styled body a.k.a EVF in the corner..It just doesn’t make sense to put the EVF in the middle on Mirrorless camera anymore.
I completely agree! No mirrorbox? - Why duplicate the mirrorbox look and stub your nose on the LCD?

Well, to be fair, I wonder if manufacturers ever did extensive user tests with various models both ways to see which ones they'd initiall buy, as well as which ones they'd prefer after several days of heavy use? If they did, and mentioned it to us, then I could understand that they found that extensive research shows better sales if you stay with it in the center.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
it kind of does for the flash mount.

If you use a corner EVF, you have make the entire camera bigger, OR use a 16:9 LCD.
Yes, if you pull the LCD out then you have the same issue either way.
But if your LCD is stowed into the body (either front or back facing) then it is (IMHO) more comfortable to have the EVF on the left.

I'm curious: Why would you think you have to use a 16:9 LCD or make the camera bigger?
And why would you care if the flash is mounted on the left of the camera as opposed to the middle? It'd still be in the same position relative to your head either way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I think the more valid point is that previously even Canon’s non L glass has had respect for its capabilities, lenses like the EF 85 f1.8, the EF 35 f2 IS etc mean that even those who can’t or don’t want to spend the money can get really good results, further, until recently Canon didn’t fiddle their RAW files to make their cameras and lenses look better. Well now that isn’t true because every other manufacturer does things like make lenses that have horrific uncorrected distortions and artificially suppress noise in high RAW iso images it means Canon has to to stay competitive on price, which is one of the biggest purchasing decision for people in this market.

From a technical perspective the 24-240 is a dud the old 28-300 was not, Canon could do way better than they did but they are building it down to a price and making compromises they haven’t made in fF cameras before, the f11 lenses are also duds, you can do just as well with a $100 Opteka off eBay.

You might not like the verbiage but there is a valid point to be made when you consider the change of direction Canon has taken and how that will inevitably creep up the ladder.

++++ I think the more valid point is that previously even Canon’s non L glass has had respect for its capabilities.....

Thank you . and here is an excellent example:

Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Distortion:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Distortion.aspx?Lens=961

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I think the more valid point is that previously even Canon’s non L glass has had respect for its capabilities, lenses like the EF 85 f1.8, the EF 35 f2 IS etc mean that even those who can’t or don’t want to spend the money can get really good results, further, until recently Canon didn’t fiddle their RAW files to make their cameras and lenses look better. Well now that isn’t true because every other manufacturer does things like make lenses that have horrific uncorrected distortions and artificially suppress noise in high RAW iso images it means Canon has to to stay competitive on price, which is one of the biggest purchasing decision for people in this market.

From a technical perspective the 24-240 is a dud the old 28-300 was not, Canon could do way better than they did but they are building it down to a price and making compromises they haven’t made in fF cameras before, the f11 lenses are also duds, you can do just as well with a $100 Opteka off eBay.

You might not like the verbiage but there is a valid point to be made when you consider the change of direction Canon has taken and how that will inevitably creep up the ladder.

I'm sure those F11 lenses will be L quality optically and have top AF and stabilisation. Try to do that with $100 Opteka.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm sure those F11 lenses will be L quality optically and have top AF and stabilisation. Try to do that with $100 Opteka.
I'm certain they won't have L quality optics, nor AF or IS, having said that reasonably high IQ 600 and 800 mm telephotos are not complicated or exotic lenses to design at such modest apertures.

I'm also sure we will see many reviewers posting 'comparison' images between the much more expensive and faster EF siblings that show how brilliant the new lenses are and how you don't need to spend $10,000 to shoot at that focal length now, and it will be true from the cherry picked well illuminated examples. As will the reality for owners when they realize the compromises f11 lenses force them into regarding shutter speed and or iso,

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Funny how the elitist snobs are so upset with in-camera and in-software automatic correction. How dare Canon make a lens that otherwise could not be made as small, as light and as inexpensive. Of course, price matters not to an elitist snob - the more expensive the better! Although, come to think of it, smaller and lighter might be beneficial to many users. Of course, let's not forget - as apparently they do - that a consumer grade lens is not going to have the optical quality of an "L" lens. So, for some, the 24-240mm lens may be a dud (then don't buy it), but for others it offers the chance to have a one-lens solution for almost all shooting scenarios. And on a standard monitor - or printing 8 x 10's - you most likely won't see any difference between the results from that lens and the 24-105 f/4 L. But who cares about actual real life results? Well, many of us mere consumers. Who cares about giving photographers lots of different lens choices? Well, many of us mere consumers.

Is there any evidence that by making these cheaper, smaller and lighter lenses Canon is taking the same approach to their RF L lenses and that compromises are "creeping up the ladder?" Obviously not, based on the almost universal praise the new RF lenses are getting from reviewers and photographers.

• Love
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Here's something that might surprise you: junk like the 50mm STM and 24-240 still gets released.

The Explorers of Light et al are guinea pigs for the pro lenses, not the consumer junk

Neither of those lenses are junk. The 50mm STM is still a fantastic lens and possibly the best value lens Canon (or anyone else) make. I actually prefer it to the 50mm f/1.4.

The 24-240 isn't a fantastic lens, but it's a compromise lens and pretty much as good as it can get for an affordable full frame 10x zoom.

It's not just the pro 'explorers of light' who test these things.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
WTF? Where are the 50 and 85 lenses? If they aren't announced and released by Oct, Im switching back to Sony. Its ridiculous its taking this long to release affordable RF primes.
How dare they be affected by a global pandemic! Canon should produce anything I want, and I want it right NOW! DOOMED :LOL:

Seriously though.

If you are running out of patience, best just go ahead and make the switch. There is a lot of uncertainty at the moment, so you can't be sure when you'll be able to get a copy even when the lenses are announced. If going Sony is such a small issue for you that you would rather do that than wait a little, I would say go for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
WTF? Where are the 50 and 85 lenses? If they aren't announced and released by Oct, Im switching back to Sony. Its ridiculous its taking this long to release affordable RF primes.

Yeah, switch back and forth from Sony for 1 lens :)
Like that's not a waste of time and money.
Instead just buy a used 50mm 1.8 STM for $50 and sell it when you got the RF 50.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
How do you propose to get infinity focus putting an RF 800mm f/11 STM lens in front of an EF mount camera?
My implication was that the ISO performance of even the 5DIII opens up a lot of possibilities for shooting at F/11 that weren't there before. And with the new cameras having further improved performance, and now (it seems) autofocus at those apertures it's even more usable. The EF-RF adaptation only works in that direction. So this new lens will only be usable on the current generation of cameras.

-Brian

Upvote 0