The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping on July 30, 2020

The sooner, the better. That means the reviewers will get it in their hands and the next couple months will be real-world results. Then, the holidays will be right around the corner and hopefully, holiday price cuts. If the R5 ends up being as good as it's being described, it'll be time to retire my 5DM3 finally!

The reviewers have likely already had it in their hands for months. So expect a TON of videos to hit YT in the coming days.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
what did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

Sorry, I just saw the question. I decided to pick up the ProGrade 256GB that B&H had as a deal of the day for $229. It’s not the fastest you can buy but should be good enough to start with...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Sorry, I just saw the question. I decided to pick up the ProGrade 256GB that B&H had as a deal of the day for $229. It’s not the fastest you can buy but should be good enough to start with...

Keep in mind, as I found out yesterday by chance (it was mentioned in one of the forums here), hat the gold cards don’t support the 8k raw recording. Only thenprograde cobalts do, and the Sandisk extreme 512gb (not the smaller ones)

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Keep in mind, as I found out yesterday by chance (it was mentioned in one of the forums here), hat the gold cards don’t support the 8k raw recording. Only thenprograde cobalts do, and the Sandisk extreme 512gb (not the smaller ones)
I didn’t put a lot of $$$ into the first CFExpress card. I expect Canon will release a short list of compatible cards. Thanks for the info though.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The real question (for which there will be no answer as Canon never communicate this) is how much stock in channel will there be? How has COVID affected delivery and estimated quotas? It will be interesting to see how sustained demand is, past the initial clamour from fanboys with GAS (myself included) through the second half of the year, and if Canon can keep up with demand. A part of me thinks they wouldn't be announcng if they didn't think they could keep up though.
I am sure that a lot of the delays(remember these were supposed to be announced a couple of moths ago) would have been to make sure the stock was available and ready to go

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I didn’t put a lot of $$$ into the first CFExpress card. I expect Canon will release a short list of compatible cards. Thanks for the info though.
Me either to be honest...I just got a meager 128GB SanDisk a while back when they were on sale. Whenever I do get an R5 in my hands, I'll be shooting stills not video. I would like to learn how to create nice travel videos, but stills is where I'm at so the fancy cards can wait. :)

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Just a heads up on CFExpress cards. I bought a couple. 128GB Sandisk & 512GB Delkin. Used a Prograde reader to make sure they worked. Sandisk was fine, but the Delkin would vanish. The drive that was assigned to the CFExpress slot would just disappear. After reaching out for support, turns out the Delkin just wasn't formatted.

I had to use Disk Management via Windows to format it. So be aware that CFExpress cards may behave like an unformatted hard drive.

Of course it's possible you may be able to format the card by putting it in the R5. But I had to test it to make sure it worked properly in case I needed to return it before the return period expired, and obviously did not have an R5 to do so.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm sure they have them already and videos just waiting to be made public, but doubt they've had the cameras in their hands for months.
Yes. there are a handful of pre production cameras that major photographers get to try for a day or two. A few select ones will make the videos or stills for the Canon PR releases. Typically, other reviewers are not able to save raw images and are really restricted.

There is no such thing as having had one for months.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Yes I saw that with similar disbelief - but may it be true! It could be pretty slow AF.
That amazed me. I'm pretty sure it will be fast AF, Canon does not advertise AF unless it is reasonably quick. There is some sort of breakthrough here. My R will autofocus at F/11, but its not super fast. At f/16, it requires that I first focus in the general area of the object, then it snaps into focus. That's with my 100-400L at 400mm plus 1.4 and 2X TC stacked. That's not a desirable configuration, just something I tried to determine the limits of AF when I first got my R.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
That amazed me. I'm pretty sure it will be fast AF, Canon does not advertise AF unless it is reasonably quick. There is some sort of breakthrough here. My R will autofocus at F/11, but its not super fast. At f/16, it requires that I first focus in the general area of the object, then it snaps into focus. That's with my 100-400L at 400mm plus 1.4 and 2X TC stacked. That's not a desirable configuration, just something I tried to determine the limits of AF when I first got my R.
Sounds like an intense AF obstacle course! A miracle it worked at all!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I've had no real trouble with spot AF on my adapted 24-70 f4 on my EOS R at f/16, although after that it's tough going. 'Proper' AF at f22 on 2XTC extenders is news indeed.

Upvote 0

Only 22 hours now

brace-yourselves.jpg
That youtube vid has since been removed but I was looking forward to watching it once it became available. Who did the channel belong to, I would like to see if they have something else about it coming?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That youtube vid has since been removed but I was looking forward to watching it once it became available. Who did the channel belong to, I would like to see if they have something else about it coming?
Maybe I shouldn't have linked it in advance :) It was a very small channel. Maybe it will reappear again.

I guess in the beginning only Canon ambassadors are allowed to comment on the R5.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Whose channel is it though? (if you can say)
All EOS R5 related videos have been removed and I didn't bookmark it, so I can't find it again, sorry.
I am sure it will re-appear again in due course, maybe right after a few hours (unless it broke some NDA agreement or something, which I don't think it did, since it wasn't actually shown in advance).

Upvote 0