Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The R5 is 738g
The R6 is 680g
The A7RIV is 665g

All with a battery and a memory card of course.
You can't seriously think that the R5 is going to be lighter than the EOS R (at 660g) that has no IBIS and a single card slot.
The R6 uses a bit of plastic in some places instead of magnesium-alloy.
650g is the weight of the R5 body only, not 738g.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think Canon has killed the bundle discounts at launch because lenses were being pulled out of bundles with bodies and being sold at a higher margin (white box deals back in the day). This isn't new, we've seen this pricing for the last year or two.
Yes, its rare to see a bundle discount on a newly released camera, but you do see it on the RP or R with certain lenses. I was expecting the R5 would be 3600, so its $300 more.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Big question for me still is going to be the buffer, but I've lived with the small buffer on the 5DS for a long time and although it is a bit of a pain it wasn't the end of the world.
I don't expect buffer to be much of an issue based on the speed you can write the files to card, especially CFexpress. If the speed is slowed based on the slowest card (as in the past) and you are writing to both cards, then the buffer will be more of an issue. (If only they would write to the fast card, then copy to the slower card...)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
From Nokishita...
Translated via google....
WOW emoji!

● The newly developed full-size CMOS sensor with approximately 45 million effective pixels, high-speed signal readout, high-speed processing of the new video engine "DIGIC X", and high-performance "RF lens" realize the highest resolution performance in the EOS series history. It achieves both high image quality and high-speed continuous shooting.
● AF performance is improved as "dual pixel CMOS AF II" by high-speed signal readout of new CMOS sensor and high-speed processing of new image engine. When "Face + Tracking priority AF" is set, the distance measurement area is expanded to a maximum of approximately 100% (vertical) x maximum 100% (horizontal) of the screen. Furthermore, when shooting still images, the AF frame is automatically selected from a maximum of 1053 divided areas.
● Supports detection of human eyes, faces and heads. Compared with "EOS R", the detection performance of smaller eyes and profile is improved. In addition, it can detect the eyes, face and whole body of animals (dogs/cats/birds) to improve the capture rate of subjects.
● Achieved the low brightness focusing limit of EV-6. Achieves highly accurate focusing even in a dark environment where it is difficult for the naked eye to see the subject.
●High-speed AF of up to approximately 0.05 seconds is realized by optimizing the drive control of "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" and "RF lens".
● Uses the AF algorithm installed in the "EOS-1D X Mark III". Comfortable shooting is possible with "Case 1 to 4", which have been preset with "Subject tracking characteristics" and "Tracking characteristics with respect to speed changes" in advance according to the scene, and "Case A (Auto)" that automatically switches according to the subject. Realization.
● When shooting with the electronic shutter, high-speed continuous shooting of up to about 20 frames/second is achieved with AF/AE tracking. You can shoot without worrying about the shutter sound in scenes such as facing wild animals and playing golf.
● When shooting with the mechanical shutter/electronic front curtain, high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 frames/sec.
● Built-in high-definition electronic viewfinder (EVF) with a field-of-view rate of about 100% that employs an organic EL panel of about 5.76 million dots. By setting the display frame rate to "119.88fps (smoothness priority)", it is easier to chase moving objects.
● "DIGIC X" realizes maximum ISO51200 (equivalent to extended ISO: 102400) when shooting still images.
● Supports still image/video recording in the "HDR PQ" method based on human visual characteristics. HEIF (10bit) recording that was done with RAW development software is realized in the camera.
● "Face lighting correction" is newly added to the auto writing optimizer function during RAW development. When the contrast of the face is high, it is possible to automatically correct the brightness of the face.
● "Strength" is added to the "Digital Lens Optimizer" that corrects lens aberrations.
● The world's first internal recording of 8K/30P video is realized by the high-speed signal readout of the CMOS sensor and the high-speed processing of the new video engine “DIGIC X”. Supports internal recording of movies in RAW data (12 bits) at 8K.
● Realizes 4K/120P high frame rate video shooting, enabling smooth video shooting.
● High quality 4K video can be generated from 8K rich data. Realize 4K/30P video by oversampling without cropping.
●In 8K/4K/full HD shooting, we realize smooth AF by "dual pixel CMOS AF II".
●Cannes can be used for rich-gradation video expression by utilizing Canon's original Log gamma “Canon Log”.
●For the first time in the EOS series, a correction mechanism that moves the image sensor in response to camera shake is adopted in the body. Achieves in-body image stabilization with 5 axes: horizontal rotation axis/vertical rotation axis/rotation axis/left/right/up/down. Even with a lens that does not have an image stabilizer, you can shoot comfortably from wide-angle to telephoto, depending on the combination of camera and lens.
● The world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization is achieved by the coordinated control of the optical image stabilization mechanism on the lens side and the in-body image stabilization mechanism. Comfortable shooting is possible even in shooting environments where camera shake is likely to occur, such as telephoto shooting and handheld shooting. When shooting movies, in addition to the coordinated control of the camera shake correction mechanism inside the body and lens, it is also possible to use the movie electronic IS together.
● Supports Wi-Fi/Bluetooth(R) connection to mobile devices such as smartphones. For the first time in the EOS series, it supports wireless LAN standards in the 5 GHz band as Wi-Fi with a built-in camera, enabling high-speed and stable communication.
● In addition to FTP and FTPS, when using the wireless file transmitter “WFT-R10B”, it is possible to transfer by SFTP, realizing highly secure communication compatible with new authentication and encryption communication technology.
● Equipped with an automatic image transfer function from the camera to "image.canon". You can automatically transfer still images to "Google Photos" or "Adobe Creative Cloud" (membership plan) via "image.canon".
● Equipped with a shutter unit that achieved a shutter durability of 500,000 times. You can choose to open or close the shutter curtain when the power is off.
● Dust-proof/drip-proof structure is used to prevent water droplets and sand dust from entering the camera. In addition, a highly rigid magnesium alloy body that achieves both robustness and light weight ensures high reliability.
● Equipped with dual slots for CFexpress card (Type B) and SD memory card (UHS-II compatible).
● Equipped with a multi-controller that allows intuitive AF frame selection.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
700mm at what, F/11? Ugh...

Compared to what? The 100-400 II with with mediocre EF 2x IQ at f/11? The EF 400 f/5.6 plus 2x at f/11 and no IS? The RF 800 at f/11? The EF 800 big white at f/5.6 and $13K? One of the other big whites plus TCs for an equally high price and heavy weight?

I'll go with the RF 100-500 + 1.4x as the most versatile option in my price range.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Splits are accounted for in the price I quoted and in the stock charts. They wouldn’t make much sense if they weren’t. Pull up the chart for CAJ on your own and see. It’s public information. Personally I could care less what Canon’s shares trade for but clearly share price appreciation is either not Canon’s primary goal or they are failing to reach that goal.
I’m not the one that brought share price up. Just pointing out that it doesn’t appear to be a primary driver of Canon’s behavior. Personally, I would have taken the time to actually look at the chart before I made that claim but different people have different standards I guess.
Share price appreciation as a measure of business success is common in the US but It’s possible Canon uses a different metric to measure their success. If I was trying to score points on Canon I could have pointed out that they trade for about 1/3 of what they did in 2007. Maybe they shouldn’t have split the shares in 2006. That can be a jinx. Obviously it’s tough all over for Camera companies.
Edited for clarity. Hard to post from the iPhone. Are we done with this? Anybody that starts a response to one of my posts with “No.” should be prepared to follow that with a pretty compelling argument IMO.
All I know is that if I had 100 shares at $20/ea. ($2,000) in 1998 and never bought another share, that a 5 for 1 split made my same shares worth $10,000 today (if today's price is $20). That's quite different than saying my 100 shares (now 500 shares thanks to the split) is still worth what they were back in 1998. Not true. ;)

Other than that, I have no idea what Canon's strategy is and probably nobody here does either. You made it sound as though the stock has not grown in 20 years. That is patently false. The splits tell a different story. :) Other than that fact, I don't care. There was an additional 3 for 2 split in that time frame. So now I would have 750 shares spawned from my original 100 shares. That makes the value of my original 100 shares, had there never been a split, $15,000 ($150 each, not $20). All the chart shows is a $x share price for the day, but if my shares have multiplied thanks to splits... that makes a huge difference.

Saying the share price is the same now as twenty years ago and has not grown is not the whole story. Now, we are done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
● Achieved the low brightness focusing limit of EV-6. Achieves highly accurate focusing even in a dark environment where it is difficult for the naked eye to see the subject.
● When shooting with the electronic shutter, high-speed continuous shooting of up to about 20 frames/second is achieved with AF/AE tracking. You can shoot without worrying about the shutter sound in scenes such as facing wild animals and playing golf.
● Built-in high-definition electronic viewfinder (EVF) with a field-of-view rate of about 100% that employs an organic EL panel of about 5.76 million dots. By setting the display frame rate to "119.88fps (smoothness priority)", it is easier to chase moving objects.
● "Face lighting correction" is newly added to the auto writing optimizer function during RAW development. When the contrast of the face is high, it is possible to automatically correct the brightness of the face.
●For the first time in the EOS series, a correction mechanism that moves the image sensor in response to camera shake is adopted in the body. Achieves in-body image stabilization with 5 axes: horizontal rotation axis/vertical rotation axis/rotation axis/left/right/up/down. Even with a lens that does not have an image stabilizer, you can shoot comfortably from wide-angle to telephoto, depending on the combination of camera and lens.
● The world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization is achieved by the coordinated control of the optical image stabilization mechanism on the lens side and the in-body image stabilization mechanism. Comfortable shooting is possible even in shooting environments where camera shake is likely to occur, such as telephoto shooting and handheld shooting. When shooting movies, in addition to the coordinated control of the camera shake correction mechanism inside the body and lens, it is also possible to use the movie electronic IS together.

Should make a lot of photographers rejoice if these are implemented well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0