Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

To Everyone Complaining about the R6 Launch Price:

The EOS R launched at $2300, or $3400 with the RF 24-105.
You can now pick it up for $1500 new, $2300 with the RF 24-105, less than two years later.

Launch price is always the absolute highest price a camera will ever cost. It's designed to milk all the impulse dollars you coked out wall street corporate raiders have to spend in a futile attempt to fill that empty void in your soul. And then there are photographers and videographers who need the equipment now, for work, not for play, and don't really care what it costs, because it's just a capital expenditure to write off their taxes.

Anyway, there is literally no doubt the R6 will drop down to at least $2200 by the holidays, and likely hit the magic $2k price target by the end of next year, at the latest. If it's a 3-4 year product, it will probably hold that position through 2023.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I don't see how the R6 with superior specs as the A7iii should sell for less
I don't see how the R6 with superior specs as the A7iii should sell for less
What are the superior specs? Menu? EVF?

Canon friends and fanboys will buy the R6 even if the R6 would have the old 6D sensor inside.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Agreed. Canon overpriced as usuall. I was looking for an update for my 10-year old Canon, I guess it will be a Sony. Can't be bothered with Canon any more if competition sells DSLRs with the same specs for under $2.000 and Canon tries to sell camera with 2017 specs for $2.500.
It’s debatable whether you have an interest in anything, let alone a new camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
(snip)

Anyway, there is literally no doubt the R6 will drop down to at least $2200 by the holidays, and likely hit the magic $2k price target by the end of next year, at the latest. If it's a 3-4 year product, it will probably hold that position through 2023.
That's likely true and my goal for such expensive items is to use them for at least 5 years.That gives me a 20mpix camera in 2028. Although I dislike the mpix race, 20mpix in 2028 may actually be less than the average phone/computer screen resolution by that time. ;-)

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Enough RF lenses now, so an adapter isn’t needed. Besides, who wanted the crappy basic one?
I own four EF lenses I want to keep using. I shoot a lot of fast paced action work and the connecting/disconnecting of the one adapter I own drives me crazy. 5 times a day I try to connect a wrong combination. So I will buy an adaptor for every EF lens I use. Maybe glue them on.

Upvote 0
What are the superior specs? Menu? EVF?

Canon friends and fanboys will buy the R6 even if the R6 would have the old 6D sensor inside.

20fps electronic shutter with full AF/AE tracking
12fps mechanical
Almost 100% af coverage of the sensor with 1053 points
Face, head, eye, even for animals like birds
AF @ -6.5 EV
HEIF 10bit
3,69 million dot EVF with 120hz refresh rate
8 stops ibis
4k 60p 10bit 4:2:2 supersampled no crop video with AF
Dual UHS II slots
Auto transfer to cloud

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
20fps electronic shutter with full AF/AE tracking
12fps mechanical
Almost 100% af coverage of the sensor with 1053 points
Face, head, eye, even for animals like birds
AF @ -6.5 EV
HEIF 10bit
3,69 million dot EVF with 120hz refresh rate
8 stops ibis
4k 60p 10bit 4:2:2 supersampled no crop video with AF
Dual UHS II slots
Auto transfer to cloud

Is it confirmed this is the same EVF as the R? Is the 120hz refresh rate an improvement?

Upvote 0
To Everyone Complaining about the R6 Launch Price:

The EOS R launched at $2300, or $3400 with the RF 24-105.
You can now pick it up for $1500 new, $2300 with the RF 24-105, less than two years later.

Launch price is always the absolute highest price a camera will ever cost. It's designed to milk all the impulse dollars you coked out wall street corporate raiders have to spend in a futile attempt to fill that empty void in your soul. And then there are photographers and videographers who need the equipment now, for work, not for play, and don't really care what it costs, because it's just a capital expenditure to write off their taxes.

I think Canon are playing a long game with the R5/R6 and the RF lenses. There is limited production capacity post Covid-19..so I expect that Canon aren't looking to sell a lot of units this year and possibly next year. We all know that Covid-19 has created a world wide recession of proportions not seen in morern times. During the last recession, Canon upped their proces by a very healthy margin (30-50%) and effectively sold very little for a year...which was fine as they didn't have the production capacity either. The sold from over priced current stock. Then when the recession finaly came to an end and the market strated to move again...the price hike set a new rally point and that was the price that was selling. I know this becuase I remember clearly that all my 4-5 year old lenses were worth more S/H than I paid for them new a few years back due to the RRp price hike. In fact most of my lenses are still worth more than I paid for them...except for the newer stuff that've bought since then.
I don't think that Canon are paricularly bothered about Q3/4 sales of the R5/6 for 2020. There's plenty of other offerings in their line up at the moment that make more financial sense, 5D4's or 5DSR's are particaulrly good value at the moment.

The Eos R was always going to drop like a brick on the S/H market because it wasn't the camera the market wanted, but a stop gap or interim camera, much like the D60 or 10D.

I've done my "buy then newwest camera" on launch...and I've always made a significant loss compared to waiting for a few years. However...in a professional capapcity...I always need 2-3 camera bodies of the same or simular generation. My 5D3's are still working for me and giving me profitable results. If I was going to change...I would sell my 5D2 and one of my 5D3's and jump for a pair of 5D4's.
To be honest, there's not a lot of features / benefits a 5D4 will offer my business...other than having a pair of newer bodies with a working life of 4-5 years. The extra fps, buffer and a few more megapixies....not a huge difference.

The R6 offers me nothing over my existing cameras except the inconvienince of the RF mount and the gawd awful EVF and poor continuous AF tracking. And the R5 seems to be in the same price bracket as a 1DX2/3....so no...not really.

The only reason Canon are pushing mirrorless cameras is that they are cheaper for them to make and they can sell them for more.

• Haha
Upvote 0
The R6 offers me nothing over my existing cameras except the inconvienince of the RF mount and the gawd awful EVF and poor continuous AF tracking. And the R5 seems to be in the same price bracket as a 1DX2/3....so no...not really.

How do you know what the EVF will be like? And isn't the AF tracking on the 1Dx3 (which this is supposed to share) considered very good?

The only reason Canon are pushing mirrorless cameras is that they are cheaper for them to make and they can sell them for more.

Do we actually know it's cheaper to build them? But anyhow, it's not the only reason. They saw the way the market was going and noted it opened up new opportunities (some technical, some business). Of course launching a whole new line means they can charge more, but then they have to recoup higher development costs too. I don't think it's as simple and cynical as you're making out.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
"All with a battery and memory card included of course"
Which part of this sentence was difficult to understand?
Always funny to see people comparing weights, just not the right ones :)
It’s all relative... I use a battery grip... should that be included? If you are really concerned about the weight, there’s only one full frame camera to consider:
Sigma fp
422g(including battery and SDcard),
370g(Camera Body Only)

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Agreed. Canon overpriced as usuall. I was looking for an update for my 10-year old Canon, I guess it will be a Sony. Can't be bothered with Canon any more if competition sells DSLRs with the same specs for under $2.000 and Canon tries to sell camera with 2017 specs for $2.500.
Looks like the Eos R or Rp could be the answer? Though, I can’t think of any 2017 cameras with specs equal to the R6?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It’s all relative... I use a battery grip... should that be included? If you are really concerned about the weight, there’s only one full frame camera to consider:
Sigma fp
422g(including battery and SDcard),
370g(Camera Body Only)
3 posted wasted on this, you really can't let go of pure stupidity, why?
If you are quoting a camera with a weight where the card and battery are included, then you should compare like-wise. Nothing 'relative' about that.

Of course maybe you have amazing abilities to use a camera without any power or a card, in which case I retract my statement :D

Upvote 0