Canon has discontinued the battery grip BG-R10 for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II

Sep 20, 2020
Where do you find out if the battery grip is discontinued or not? The Canon Japan website seems to be only for bodies and lenses

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
With both the r62 and the 5d, the one huge bugaboo for me is...vertical video shooting. There no record button on the grip...why? Because that wasn't the usage intent when it was designed. It likely just followed the tried and true formula (ie. no one needs vertical video...although everyone's on phones...yup).

90% of my video clips is in vertical format, targeted at social media formats. While the later r62 seem more suited for this scenario software-wise (maybe, already forgetting), the grip is definitely not taking that scenario into account.

Yes, just set a button! Unfortunately i would have to change the buttons on the body as well. It can be done, just better if there was an appropriately placed, red, rec button that was easy to access. I waste a lot of time clicking the rec button and then setting my hands, then try to stabilize.

We'll see what happens with the updated versions. Chances are it will take a long time to get 3rd party versions, and canon could try to lock some out like they do with batteries.
On my R6ii I have the shutter button customised to use for starting/stopping video as I use back button focus and I imagine the vertical grip shutter button will also work if you set it up but I don't have a battery grip yet myself

Upvote 0
It is out of stock in many countries.
Maybe all the R6-series will have the 2~2.5yrs cycle. Keeping the enthusiasts and entry-pros happy with top notch gear.

In this case R8 might be going to be available for a long time. R6iii is likely opt for new higher MP sensors 30~4x(or reuse R5's).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Interesting.
I guess at least the first ergonomic design choices for the R6mkiii have been made, otherwise Canon would have waited with the discontinuation. I´d further guess, the next BG should be compatible with the R5mkii and R6mkiii just like the BG-R10 was with the R5/6. Stock will surely be enough in the meantime, but I expect (actually taking a guess without knowledge...) the R6mkiii will be released in the second half of 2025.

Upvote 0
With all the recent bodies being able to be powered from USB-C PD and charge while shooting, a grip wouldn’t add much for me, especially if they put the joystick in an awkward place again.
I’d rather use that money to get more/larger/faster CFe cards if I opt to buy an R5II.
I have to say I would buy a grip even if can fit just a single battery; I shoot 80% of my pics vertically, and also have big hands, so for me the BG is more of a "grippy" and "vertical shutter button" thing, rather than a "double the power" thing, as I can shoot around 2500 pics with a single battery, so I don't really need two times that power even during a wedding.

But their cost frankly is absurd, the BG-R10 for my R6 was almost 400€ at release, I bought one used for 250€ and it was already out of any logic for a piece of plastic with some wires. Luckily I recently bought the BG-E22 for the Eos R for 80€ mint and basically unused, and that was including the PD-E1 charger that I resold for 50€, so the BG-E22 just costed me 30€...I average it with the BG-R10, so it's 280€ for two, 140€ each...acceptable :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This makes me wonder if there's an R6 M3 also on the horizon. I know the M2 isn't that old, but they could do a minor refresh. Keep the same sensor (or maybe put the R3 sensor in), update the body so that its the same as the R5II, just a different sensor.

If they don't update to an R6III at the same time as the R5II, then I'd imagine they have to do at least a firmware update for the R6II so the new grip would work with it. Either that, or just make it so that it doesn't physically fit the R6II, but fits the R6III whenever that comes out at some point in the future.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
No difference to me. I never found them useful. I prefer to put an extra battery in my pocket and keep the camera compact and light.
I agree. However, I did buy them for my 7D and 5D3 when I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder. After I recovered from the surgery, I took them off and never used them again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2021
No difference to me. I never found them useful. I prefer to put an extra battery in my pocket and keep the camera compact and light.
BG is not only for doubling battery life ! ;)
I've been using grips for about 20 years (the first one was for the 20D). With heavy lenses, it's better to handle. For portrait photography, it's a huge gain for comfort while shooting a long time (I do a lot of portrait oriented photos).
Now with mirrorless bodies, the problem of energy is more critical. On important events, I put 2 batteries in the BG, it's safe for two thousands photos without any worry ! Precious. Following Murphy's law, batteries generally fail at the wrongest moments, when you just can't switch them !! :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
frankly I am still using my good old 5D3, but since my first DSLR (40D), I always have the BG glued on to my 5D3 for a decade, the ability to hand held it in all direction and always have the joystick at hand is a big plus, especially you go shoot for events or wedding where there are scenes you do vertical composition most of the time, the extra battery is also very good for even the DSLR, it's really nice for a 10 days trip overseas to only drop 2 batteries in the grip and not even need to bring the charger, it always have the juice to sustain the 1500 photos. for RF cameras I am sure the battery will drain a lot quicker, but then, having a longer sustain period is really nice

Upvote 0