Canon has discontinued the battery grip BG-R10 for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
With both the r62 and the 5d, the one huge bugaboo for me is...vertical video shooting. There no record button on the grip...why? Because that wasn't the usage intent when it was designed. It likely just followed the tried and true formula (ie. no one needs vertical video...although everyone's on phones...yup).

90% of my video clips is in vertical format, targeted at social media formats. While the later r62 seem more suited for this scenario software-wise (maybe, already forgetting), the grip is definitely not taking that scenario into account.

Yes, just set a button! Unfortunately i would have to change the buttons on the body as well. It can be done, just better if there was an appropriately placed, red, rec button that was easy to access. I waste a lot of time clicking the rec button and then setting my hands, then try to stabilize.

We'll see what happens with the updated versions. Chances are it will take a long time to get 3rd party versions, and canon could try to lock some out like they do with batteries.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
With both the r62 and the 5d, the one huge bugaboo for me is...vertical video shooting. There no record button on the grip...why? Because that wasn't the usage intent when it was designed. It likely just followed the tried and true formula (ie. no one needs vertical video...although everyone's on phones...yup).

90% of my video clips is in vertical format, targeted at social media formats. While the later r62 seem more suited for this scenario software-wise (maybe, already forgetting), the grip is definitely not taking that scenario into account.

Yes, just set a button! Unfortunately i would have to change the buttons on the body as well. It can be done, just better if there was an appropriately placed, red, rec button that was easy to access. I waste a lot of time clicking the rec button and then setting my hands, then try to stabilize.

We'll see what happens with the updated versions. Chances are it will take a long time to get 3rd party versions, and canon could try to lock some out like they do with batteries.
It's not that hard to reach it with my right thumb. Maybe you are recording wildlife holding some big white telephoto which you can do but you'll probably have to edit out the first second or two as you lift up the camera and find your framing and I wonder why you wouldn't use a tripod for such lenses...

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
This is the worst piece of ____Canon branded gear I have ever bought. It feels and works like Canon outsourced the design and mfg. Very disappointed in this purchase. I don't use it but I keep it around to show people that all Canon gear is not created equal.
I have to agree. This grip is ill-fitting and ergonomics are off. The grip for the R was very nice in comparison.

Upvote 0
This seems odd to me. Canon used to continue to sell the grips well past the replacement version of the camera. it was an easy way for Canon even to get money past the point of original camera sale, years down the road as used cameras would be sold, and grips still potentially purchased, or even refurbished cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I have to agree. This grip is ill-fitting and ergonomics are off. The grip for the R was very nice in comparison.
It's not perfect by a longshot, but it does what I need it to and it's taken a few tumbles without any damage. I can't call it worst considering they had that transmitter for what, three times the price?

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Canon has reporteldy discontinmued the BG-R10 battery grp that is compatible with the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II. This is one of those little signs that new cameras on the horizon. We expect that the EOS R5 Mark II will be equipped with the same smart controller that we have seen

See full article...
Will the new grip retrofit to the old R5?

Upvote 0