Canon has discontinued the battery grip BG-R10 for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has reporteldy discontinmued the BG-R10 battery grp that is compatible with the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II. This is one of those little signs that new cameras on the horizon. We expect that the EOS R5 Mark II will be equipped with the same smart controller that we have seen

See full article...

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... We expect that the EOS R5 Mark II will be equipped with the same smart controller that we have seen on the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R3. As such, having it on the battery grip makes a ton of sense. ...
It sounds logical that you hit the nail on the head with this assumption.
I like the idea of that smart controller coming to an R5m2 or even an R6m3.
But I am also happy that I already have my BG, because I wouldn't like having different controls in landscape vs. portrait orientation.
Still, It is slightly different with the BG and the body.
I hope they can manage to get it better with the successor BG (for the R5m2 or whatever cam it'll support, too).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Canon has reporteldy discontinmued the BG-R10 battery grp that is compatible with the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II. This is one of those little signs that new cameras on the horizon. We expect that the EOS R5 Mark II will be equipped with the same smart controller that we have seen

See full article...
I hae the R5 and the first thing (after the EF-RF adapter) that I got was the battery grip. It double the battery life on one hand and allow you to each even more short with low battery level than a single one. So I wonder why they discontonued it for it also match the R6II which has some long shelf life a head of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So I wonder why they discontonued it for it also match the R6II which has some long shelf life a head of them.
It does seem odd, but perhaps not surprising. After all, Canon did not even provide a battery grip option for the R7. I suspect that means grips aren’t very popular with the broader market (which we here don’t represent), or at least Canon grips aren’t very popular given the much cheaper 3rd party offerings.

I hope the suggestion/implication that the R5II will get the Smart Controller is true, not that I plan to buy one (I’m sure the R1 will have it).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
The battery grip is one of the awkward accessories. It costs noticeable money if you buy the original one new. When you sell your camera for an upgrade, it means it is quite old and has been on the market for a long time. You cannot get back much from selling the grip separately, and sometimes potential buyers of your gear don't require it, and cannot justify the higher price for the kit. The situation might be improved if battery grips would be relevant, at least 3-4 gens of cameras, the same series/class. It's a miracle BG-R10 fits with R6/R6M2. However, I really don't get why it might be incompatible if it is just a battery grip without Ethernet or something else.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It does seem odd, but perhaps not surprising. After all, Canon did not even provide a battery grip option for the R7. I suspect that means grips aren’t very popular with the broader market (which we here don’t represent), or at least Canon grips aren’t very popular given the much cheaper 3rd party offerings. [...]
I also found the BG-R10 not very comfortable to hold. The grip for my 7D feels a lot better, but my 1D still feels the best of all. I've used grips on all my DSLRs, including a 3rd party one of the 100D/SL1, but I don't plan on getting one for the R5II. The extra height gets in the way when I try to photograph solitary bees and jumping spiders, unless I shoot upside-down. And that isn't an option when using a flash.

That can all be fixed with a TS-R than can do 1:1 magnification and has built-in lights :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I also found the BG-R10 not very comfortable to hold. The grip for my 7D feels a lot better, but my 1D still feels the best of all. I've used grips on all my DSLRs, including a 3rd party one of the 100D/SL1, but I don't plan on getting one for the R5II.
I far prefer the integrated grip. I, too, used grips on all my DSLRs, the T1i/500D, 7D and 5DII, before getting the 1D X. I'm ok without one for a travel camera, and the R8 works for that nicely. But for that use case, I'm not handholding the camera for long periods, it comes out for a picture then goes back in the bag, or it's on a tripod. For my everyday camera, I will be sticking with the 1-series body style. The integrated grip is more comfortable to hold, and the controls are typically positioned much better than with the accessory type, and there's no play in the connection that can lead to vibration when on a tripod.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
The R6 Mark II doesn't have the smart controller, whereas this rumour suggests that the R5 Mark II will.

If the rumour is true, then I would bet Canon will make two new grips -- an updated grip for the R6 Mark II, and a new grip for R5 Mark II with smart controller. Otherwise, it would be odd for Canon to make a dual compatible grip again when one camera doesn't have the smart controller built in for the landscape orientation.

EDIT: When the R5 came out in 2020, I had just sold my 1DX Mark II. I love the integrated grips of the 1D-series bodies, so I immediately bought the BG-R10 for the R5 to feel more "at home" with the new camera. Unfortunately, adding the grip was not nearly as comfortable or as pleasing to use as the integrated grip of the 1DX. Canon placed the joystick in a really uncomfortable position, and I often found myself searching for it with my thumb. If Canon is bringing out a new grip, or grips, I hope they tweak the design a bit in this regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If the rumour is true, then I would bet Canon will make two new grips -- an updated grip for the R6 Mark II, and a new grip for R5 Mark II with smart controller. Otherwise, it would be odd for Canon to make a dual compatible grip again when one camera doesn't have the smart controller built in for the landscape orientation.
I would not expect a new grip for the R6II, more likely Canon has sufficient stock of the current one that they have no need for further production.

Unfortunately, adding the grip was not nearly as comfortable or as pleasing to use as the integrated grip of the 1DX. Canon placed the joystick in a really uncomfortable position, and I often found myself searching for it with my thumb. If Canon is bringing out a new grip, or grips, I hope they tweak the design a bit in this regard.
After years of using accessory grips, I switched to the 1D X. The reasons you list are the reasons I likely will not go back.

Upvote 0
Canon placed the joystick in a really uncomfortable position, and I often found myself searching for it with my thumb.

This.
On my R6 I'm always struggling to get to the BG joystick at the first try when in portrait mode, my thumb never finds it nicely, it's too "low" while holding the camera vertically, compared to where you find it in landscape.

Upvote 0