A minor Canon EOS R6 Mark II firmware update is coming soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have received two reports of brand new Canon EOS R6 Mark II camera bodies coming with firmware v1.1.4, the latest current and downloadable firmware version is 1.1.2. This seems like it will be a very minor update, perhaps a bug fix or two or a compatibility update. We are a bit out of the

See full article...

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
The R6 Mark II came with v1.1.0 that has a number of firmware bugs. I tried v1.1.1 and recently v1.1.2 and my 2 biggest beefs still exist, they are:
- when you press the shutter button when the camera has gone to sleep/power saving mode and only the image area appears with no menus or display stuff around the edges, then it takes several seconds to fully kick into life and be able to fire shots.
- if you shoot electronic shutter at continuous 20 fps and let the 99 frame buffer on the lower right of the viewfinder count down to zero, the camera should stop taking photos and waits while some room clears in the buffer then it starts firing again in a sputtering fashion while the buffer keeps getting exhausted, which is how it should behave. If you consume the entire buffer then release the shutter button, the buffer frame counter goes blank (rather than show zero) then some time later usually more than 10 seconds later, the buffer counter suddenly reappears but jumps straight to like 36 and starts counting up erratically back to 99 jumping lots of numbers along the way rather than sequentially count upwards, so might be say 36, 37, 38, 54, 55, 59, 79, 80, 81, 97, 98, 99 with the same time space between each increment. That is all fine and dandy, but every so often, when the frame buffer hits zero and goes blank, the camera freezes. The peripheral info in the viewfinder disappears, the camera ignores the shutter buton and even turning the power switch off does nothing. When this "stuck on zero frame buffer" happens the only way to get the camera working again is to pull the battery for a few seconds and it happens no matter what memory card I try UHS I or UHS II up to 300Mb/s V90. I have checked the SD cards were not hot in case the camera was waiting for them to cool but nope they were barely warm. When it locks up, you can leave the body sit for 7 minutes and the power save mode does not kick in.
Another bug it's always done is right after shooting if you press the Playback button, at times it won't show recent images, or if it does they flash up very briefly then return to the shooting screen. I love the camera and the AF tracking is unreal but there are some serious glitchces in the firmware and it doesn't matter if I have a genuine Canon lens or my big Sigma f2.8 70-200 Sports on an EF-RF adapter. So long as I don't let the buffer hit zero, it will not happen, it only occurs when the buffer is full.
I have notified both Canon in Australia and Asia about this. Canon Asia said they will pass it on to their technical team. Canon Australia asked for the body to be sent in for repair which I have not done as this cannot be a hardware fault unless it is an inherent design flaw, as it ONLY happens if the buffer hits zero, it's never happened while the frame buffer is 1 or higher, so it will almost certainly be an oddball firmware glitch.
It's so frustrating because other than these quirks the camera is sublime, especially the awesome AF tracking and the insane frame rate with electronic shutter. I've never loved using a digital camera as much as I do the R6 Mark II but when it hangs I have to resist hurling it at a wall. I miss not having my old T90 film SLR - it was bulletproof.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2022
The R6 Mark II came with v1.1.0 that has a number of firmware bugs. I tried v1.1.1 and recently v1.1.2 and my 2 biggest beefs still exist, they are:
- when you press the shutter button when the camera has gone to sleep/power saving mode and only the image area appears with no menus or display stuff around the edges, then it takes several seconds to fully kick into life and be able to fire shots.
- if you shoot electronic shutter at continuous 20 fps and let the 99 frame buffer on the lower right of the viewfinder count down to zero, the camera should stop taking photos and waits while some room clears in the buffer then it starts firing again in a sputtering fashion while the buffer keeps getting exhausted, which is how it should behave. If you consume the entire buffer then release the shutter button, the buffer frame counter goes blank (rather than show zero) then some time later usually more than 10 seconds later, the buffer counter suddenly reappears but jumps straight to like 36 and starts counting up erratically back to 99 jumping lots of numbers along the way rather than sequentially count upwards, so might be say 36, 37, 38, 54, 55, 59, 79, 80, 81, 97, 98, 99 with the same time space between each increment. That is all fine and dandy, but every so often, when the frame buffer hits zero and goes blank, the camera freezes. The peripheral info in the viewfinder disappears, the camera ignores the shutter buton and even turning the power switch off does nothing. When this "stuck on zero frame buffer" happens the only way to get the camera working again is to pull the battery for a few seconds and it happens no matter what memory card I try UHS I or UHS II up to 300Mb/s V90. I have checked the SD cards were not hot in case the camera was waiting for them to cool but nope they were barely warm. When it locks up, you can leave the body sit for 7 minutes and the power save mode does not kick in.
Another bug it's always done is right after shooting if you press the Playback button, at times it won't show recent images, or if it does they flash up very briefly then return to the shooting screen. I love the camera and the AF tracking is unreal but there are some serious glitchces in the firmware and it doesn't matter if I have a genuine Canon lens or my big Sigma f2.8 70-200 Sports on an EF-RF adapter. So long as I don't let the buffer hit zero, it will not happen, it only occurs when the buffer is full.
I have notified both Canon in Australia and Asia about this. Canon Asia said they will pass it on to their technical team. Canon Australia asked for the body to be sent in for repair which I have not done as this cannot be a hardware fault unless it is an inherent design flaw, as it ONLY happens if the buffer hits zero, it's never happened while the frame buffer is 1 or higher, so it will almost certainly be an oddball firmware glitch.
It's so frustrating because other than these quirks the camera is sublime, especially the awesome AF tracking and the insane frame rate with electronic shutter. I've never loved using a digital camera as much as I do the R6 Mark II but when it hangs I have to resist hurling it at a wall. I miss not having my old T90 film SLR - it was bulletproof.

Your second Bug is card related, I have this Issue with SanDisk 129GB UHS-II and Kingston 256GB UHS-II Cards but not with PNY 256GB UHS-II Cards and not with Kingston 128GB UHS-II Cards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
The Canon EOS R6 Mark II seems to block - certain - Samyang lenses (e.g. the full manual Samyang XP 14/2.4) as the unusual aperture of f/2.5 is visible for a split-second on the display before the communication is interrupted. See also here: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...ating-with-Samyang-EF-85mm-MF-lens/m-p/422278
The Canon EOS R6 Mark II has no problems with other 3-rd party lenses (e.g. Sigma and Zeiss), neither have the 'older' Canon models R and RP problems with that Samyang XP 14/2.4 lens. My speculation is that Canon tried to block the unwanted Samyang RF AF lenses this way and the blocking of the full manual Samyang XP 14/2.4 is just a collateral damage. Unfortunately that Samyang lens is a very good lens for astro photography. With the limited selection of RF lenses, especially for astro-landscape, I have to see if I can stay with Canon or if I will be forced to another camera manufacturer.
So there are known problems with the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, but I'm not sure if Canon wants to fix such issues with a firmware update.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My R6 II won't wake up from sleep with the RF 70-200mm 2.8 attached. Hope they'll fix it.
Plus it won't remember the Power Saver settings and the viewfinder/screen switch setting between photo and video.

Is your lens firmware on 1.1.4? I ask because I have the same body and lens, and don't have the issue of waking from sleep, although I haven't used the RF 70-200 f/2.8 much this year.

Upvote 0
I’m sure the R6II users will appreciate this revised firmware update, I think the R5 owners are asking….where’s their update?
They were promised a steady stream of feature updates. Many assumed they would receive the newer AF updates seen in the R3 and R6II / R8 but instead got the oddball 400mp feature update.

Upvote 0
I’m sure the R6II users will appreciate this revised firmware update, I think the R5 owners are asking….where’s their update?
They were promised a steady stream of feature updates. Many assumed they would receive the newer AF updates seen in the R3 and R6II / R8 but instead got the oddball 400mp feature update.
I was wondering the same thing.
When will R5 get an update....

Upvote 0
Is your lens firmware on 1.1.4? I ask because I have the same body and lens, and don't have the issue of waking from sleep, although I haven't used the RF 70-200 f/2.8 much this year.
I'll check the lens firmware. I think this problem appears because of lack of voltage. Do you use the R6 II with grip? Or by itself? I have it by itself.

Upvote 0
I really wish Canon would extend zebra's to stills like Sony, so you can see where you are actually clipping in real-time. Come on Canon. I was hopeful that this would happen in a firmware update when when I had R6's, and now I have R6 II's it is still not available. Surely it is an easy change considering zebra's are already there for video.

Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
I really wish Canon would extend zebra's to stills like Sony, so you can see where you are actually clipping in real-time. Come on Canon. I was hopeful that this would happen in a firmware update when when I had R6's, and now I have R6 II's it is still not available. Surely it is an easy change considering zebra's are already there for video.
I've been requesting that since the R5 came out, it really shouldn't be difficult. If they can do a color fringe for focus, zebra's for over exposure are a few lines of code (well, maybe more but do-able)

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
I think the R5 owners are asking….where’s their update?
When will R5 get an update....
Let's stay positive. The longer it takes, the more difficult features to add it has. Right? Their release schedule of the past year would have suggested a July release, but 1.4 for example also came in late August. The "usual" four months are already quite long that it can feel like forever ago, especially compared to our usual electronic things like a laptop or phone. Patience people, patience.

Upvote 0
The Canon EOS R6 Mark II seems to block - certain - Samyang lenses (e.g. the full manual Samyang XP 14/2.4) as the unusual aperture of f/2.5 is visible for a split-second on the display before the communication is interrupted. See also here: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...ating-with-Samyang-EF-85mm-MF-lens/m-p/422278
The Canon EOS R6 Mark II has no problems with other 3-rd party lenses (e.g. Sigma and Zeiss), neither have the 'older' Canon models R and RP problems with that Samyang XP 14/2.4 lens. My speculation is that Canon tried to block the unwanted Samyang RF AF lenses this way and the blocking of the full manual Samyang XP 14/2.4 is just a collateral damage. Unfortunately that Samyang lens is a very good lens for astro photography. With the limited selection of RF lenses, especially for astro-landscape, I have to see if I can stay with Canon or if I will be forced to another camera manufacturer.
So there are known problems with the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, but I'm not sure if Canon wants to fix such issues with a firmware update.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
why not free him completely and make him a real cam, he can. with real video formats, real codecs, and clog2, in short, we feel that everyone is limited, it makes you want to go to sony
Canon surpassed Sony as the #1 MILC brand in Japan last year, and likely globally (those data are not yet available). Clearly, the majority of people are not going to Sony despite the repeated claims of trolls. If you personally want to switch, just do it…

Upvote 0