Canon releases firmware v1.9.0 for the EOS R5

It would be great if canon just enable to use IBIS if EF lens stabilizer turned off.
Best feature for users.
Agreed. I'm noticing problems with IBIS and EF lenses with IS. Seems that in the 1/60th-1/200th range the two systems work against eachother and introduce a minor amount of blur. If I could turn off one or the other that would be really nice.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Agreed. I'm noticing problems with IBIS and EF lenses with IS. Seems that in the 1/60th-1/200th range the two systems work against eachother and introduce a minor amount of blur. If I could turn off one or the other that would be really nice.
While EF lens IS + RF IBIS isn't a winning combo, motion blur in the 1/60s-1/200s range tends to be shutter shock. You'll see it almost disappear when using EFCS (unless you're on an R7, that shutter is compensating for something) and go away with ES.

Upvote 0
While EF lens IS + RF IBIS isn't a winning combo, motion blur in the 1/60s-1/200s range tends to be shutter shock. You'll see it almost disappear when using EFCS (unless you're on an R7, that shutter is compensating for something) and go away with ES.
I shoot in EFCS single shot almost exclusively but experience it with electronic shutter as well. No issues at all with those shutter speeds on RF lenses or unstabilized EF lenses, just when using an EF lens with IS built in. I'm shooting with an R5 so no issues like the R7 has.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
No, it's a pity... the R5 is still awesome and a very expensive camera for consumers. I bought the camera 2 month's ago for 4499 euro's (with grip). Still it would be good to see some improvements all mentionned on this forum to be added, just to give that late adopting users some extra fun... also good for customer satisfaction. come on Canon!
You can get it used for like 2200€ in great condition.
Considering you get:
- an excellent, fast sensor with high resolution and good DR
- excellent AF (I just shot a wedding with 4000 photos and got maybe 3 out of focus. Even with 3rd party lenses like the Sigma 50mm 1,4 Art it just works perfectly)
- 4k120fps video on a fullframe with reliable AF
its a steal =)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HeavyPiper

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 1, 2018
Oregon
Interesting that I got an email from Canon USA announcing the all the new firmware, but when you use the link to the USA site, it still shows 1.81 (R5) and same for the R3. Always makes me wonder if it may not be ready for primetime.
I found that you need to page down to fine 1.9.0 on the Canon site

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Interesting that I got an email from Canon USA announcing the all the new firmware, but when you use the link to the USA site, it still shows 1.81 (R5) and same for the R3. Always makes me wonder if it may not be ready for primetime.
The email I received took me right to the new update.
Screenshot_20230927_160111_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Maybe he has a problem with the Auto ISO option in M mode. With a certain combination of menu settings, it is possible that if Auto ISO is used in M mode, the ISO value is reset to Auto ISO after a few seconds, and not to the fixed, previously set value. But such problems usually occur if the user manual is used superficially or not at all.
I always find it weird that I can't set exposure compensation in M mode. I need to go to another mode eg Tv and then set the exposure compensation and then change back to M for the auto-ISO to work correctly. I use this when shooting karate gradings as the white uniforms throws off the metering somewhat.

Upvote 0
That is not evidence that the Digic X on the R5 runs slower or too slow so I'll share your grain of salt. My strong suspicion based on observation on Canon and other products over many years is that they have a deliberate planned obsolescence policy which includes holding back features.
Every manufacturer will have segment pricing for different feature sets. Although is is strange that some lower Canon bodies have features not available in higher level ones, OEMs make money when new bodies are released. Perhaps the reason for not releasing a new feature on the R5's Digic X is not that it won't run but will cause excessive heat and hits battery life. That said, Canon has allowed higher internal temperatures which is fine for me (5 year warranty) and to allow users to push it if needed.

Of course, mobile phones are a different paradigm where the SW (assuming the underlying hardware can support it) all gets upgraded for free so the hardware makers have to add newer hardware feature eg cameras to justify the upgrade. I still have a iphone 12 pro max when I used to upgrade every 2 years. I'm still not convinced that the iPhone 15 has sufficient new stuff to warrant an upgrade now... maybe next year. I believe that more and more users will also delay upgrades which is bad for Apple as the make their money on selling hardware (and apps).

Upvote 0
I always find it weird that I can't set exposure compensation in M mode. I need to go to another mode eg Tv and then set the exposure compensation and then change back to M for the auto-ISO to work correctly. I use this when shooting karate gradings as the white uniforms throws off the metering somewhat.

I use M mode for birds and wildlife on the R5 and have no problem setting exposure compensation. I am a bit puzzled with the issue you are having. The 5D3 wouldn't allow exposure compensation in manual, but on the 5D4 and R5 it's allowed. I shoot with Auto ISO so maybe it's something to do with that.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Every manufacturer will have segment pricing for different feature sets. Although is is strange that some lower Canon bodies have features not available in higher level ones, OEMs make money when new bodies are released. Perhaps the reason for not releasing a new feature on the R5's Digic X is not that it won't run but will cause excessive heat and hits battery life. That said, Canon has allowed higher internal temperatures which is fine for me (5 year warranty) and to allow users to push it if needed.
Features most frequently asked for are not ones that would cause more heat, namely being able to vary the fps in ES mode, more AF zone choice and pre-burst mode.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
I use M mode for birds and wildlife on the R5 and have no problem setting exposure compensation. I am a bit puzzled with the issue you are having. The 5D3 wouldn't allow exposure compensation in manual, but on the 5D4 and R5 it's allowed. I shoot with Auto ISO so maybe it's something to do with that.
Of course, someone who wants to shoot in M mode and be able to compensate exposure must have the ISO set to Auto. However, as I already wrote in one of my earlier posts, some people can be confused that, after they have "manually" set the ISO value, it then returns to Auto (with some combination of settings in the menu, I even think it is set that way by default) - I assume that this is the problem here. Otherwise, the M mode on the R5 works completely manually.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
Exposure compensation can be set without any problems in M mode, but ISO must be set to Auto. If all 3 values (shutter speed, aperture and ISO value) are fixed, of course there is no possibility to do exposure compensation because there is no "free" and "unlocked" option to do it. So, to take pictures in M mode with the option of EV compensation, you have to set the ISO to Auto.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
You don't need to think, follow or worry about when and where the firmware available for download will appear. I already wrote it in this topic in my earlier post (and put screen shots as an illustration), as soon as the firmware appears and becomes available, which is usually sooner than in many online places, it immediately appears as a pop-up offer in Canon Camera Connect app. I believe that updating the firmware is even the simplest through the application, because it does not require the card to be removed from the camera, there is no cable connection, all the instructions related to the process are displayed immediately...

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
I have to admit that it is not clear to me why in M mode you even need to do exposure compensation in a way that you go to do it in another mode of the camera, and then return to M mode after the correction - it is very inefficient, slow and unnecessary. If you are in M mode and you need a brighter image, lighten it either by opening the aperture, or by increasing the exposure time or increasing the ISO value, and if you need a darker image, you just need to do the opposite of the above. The only time I find it useful to do exposure compensation in M mode is when the ISO is set to Auto. But as soon as it is set like that the exposure compensation control is "open" even in M mode. Also, in all modes (Av, Tv, M, P) there is an option to simply press one button to lock the exposure to the value that suits you and for it to remain unchanged until you press that button again. The option is called AE Lock (Hold). You search in the menu, assign a function to an unused button and you have a "manual" in all modes. I find this especially useful when shooting video when the light changes significantly in one video clip, and I want to keep the exposure the same throughout the video clip, without having to be in M mode at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On my 90D I can change the exposure in Manual by going to the main menu or pressing the Q button and selecting the exposure.

Upvote 0