Canon releases firmware v1.9.0 for the EOS R5

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It's on the the Canon Europe site with a release date of 7 Sept. Don't know if this time lag is normal for a release.
The release tends to be when the firmware team calls it ready, which usually is a few weeks before it becomes public. My guess is that the ambassadors and explorers of light get a few days to spot egregious bugs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
For a guy like me who's interested in a R5, but feel it's a bit old and needs a warm over. There's not much to see here. I was (foolishly / unrealistically) hoping to see an update to the AF options to bring it in line with the R3/R6ii/R8. But I guess this feature update will be reserved for the R5ii.
For me, I like the common user interface and button array (how similar it is to the R6ii) however, i don't want to invest in a £3K camera which has slightly older AF functions and different feature array. That's just going to irritate me and confuse me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
For a guy like me who's interested in a R5, but feel it's a bit old and needs a warm over. There's not much to see here. I was (foolishly / unrealistically) hoping to see an update to the AF options to bring it in line with the R3/R6ii/R8. But I guess this feature update will be reserved for the R5ii. [...]
Some of those features, like the 'auto subject detect' require a faster/cooler digic X, which firmware won't deliver to older bodies :) But other things like resizable zones, selectable FPS and restricting tracking to a zone don't require hardware changes and I would very much like to get those in a firmware upgrade.
I really enjoy all the fancy new features my R8 has, but it lacks the resolution, buffer and CFe my R5 has.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
It's on the the Canon Europe site with a release date of 7 Sept. Don't know if this time lag is normal for a release.
As soon as the camera is connected via the Canon Camera Connect app, the firmware update is immediately offered, so there is no need to wait for the FW to appear on any local website at all.

Screenshot_20230926-102143_Camera Connect.jpgScreenshot_20230926-103855_Camera Connect.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Some of those features, like the 'auto subject detect' require a faster/cooler digic X, which firmware won't deliver to older bodies :) But other things like resizable zones, selectable FPS and restricting tracking to a zone don't require hardware changes and I would very much like to get those in a firmware upgrade.
I really enjoy all the fancy new features my R8 has, but it lacks the resolution, buffer and CFe my R5 has.
Yes I whole heartedly agree. Moving from 45mp to 24mp must be an odd feeling. For me, the biggest frustation with the R8 is the EVF. It's very small and not very detailed. I often can't see really fine detail with it. The R6ii's EVF is a lot better and again the R5's is even better than both the R6ii and R8's.

Upvote 0
As soon as the camera is connected via the Canon Camera Connect app, the firmware update is immediately offered, so there is no need to wait for the FW to appear on any local website at all.
Thanks for the info. Just curious as I thought updates were always fairly quick on the Australian site.
For this update, I will be happy to wait a little while. There is nothing in it that tempts me to update quickly. Still, is it nice they haven't quite forgotten the R5.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
For a guy like me who's interested in a R5, but feel it's a bit old and needs a warm over. There's not much to see here. I was (foolishly / unrealistically) hoping to see an update to the AF options to bring it in line with the R3/R6ii/R8. But I guess this feature update will be reserved for the R5ii.
For me, I like the common user interface and button array (how similar it is to the R6ii) however, i don't want to invest in a £3K camera which has slightly older AF functions and different feature array. That's just going to irritate me and confuse me.
Yes it’s a few years old now but the R5 is excellent. I’m very happy with it. Yes autofocus could be improved buts it’s good and I’m not sure how much better it can get. I’d like it better at BIF but one of the tricky things is the bird moving out of the viewfinders field of view. Not much autofocus can do about that.

Upvote 0
Yes it’s a few years old now but the R5 is excellent. I’m very happy with it. Yes autofocus could be improved buts it’s good and I’m not sure how much better it can get. I’d like it better at BIF but one of the tricky things is the bird moving out of the viewfinders field of view. Not much autofocus can do about that.
Yes I agree, if it's your only camera body or you are using a pair of R5's exclusively. However, I also use an R8 and R6ii....both of which operate their AF functions very differently to the R5. Moving across from the current user interface to the r5 is a bit jarring. For a £3K camera....I think I'll wait for the R5ii.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am not sure what you mean by out of the field of view. Is it totally out of the viewfinder and you lose tracking for when it reappears?

Upvote 0
No, it's a pity... the R5 is still awesome and a very expensive camera for consumers. I bought the camera 2 month's ago for 4499 euro's (with grip). Still it would be good to see some improvements all mentionned on this forum to be added, just to give that late adopting users some extra fun... also good for customer satisfaction. come on Canon!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
I believe another posting here a month ago stated there were no more major updates coming.
I know. Yet we're all on a rumour site here, so my hope will only vanish once the R5II finally arrives. I think it's going to be interesting whether a last update to a 2.0 firmware will be released as that somewhat coincides with the supposed release/announcement timeframe (end of Dec - end of Jan).

Upvote 0
I saw there was an update, I downloaded from the Europe site the update into the base card location, at the point in the update process it shows the 1.90 when i select it the camera immediately sounds like a shutter release at then drops out of the menu. I tried downloading from the Japanese site and get the same results. Anyone else having a problem or any suggestions

Upvote 0