Canon releases firmware v1.9.0 for the EOS R5

I saw there was an update, I downloaded from the Europe site the update into the base card location, at the point in the update process it shows the 1.90 when i select it the camera immediately sounds like a shutter release at then drops out of the menu. I tried downloading from the Japanese site and get the same results. Anyone else having a problem or any suggestions
Stupid question but did you follow all instructions?

- Formatting the card before putting the update on there
- No Lens, Flash or Accessories connected
- Camera in P-Mode

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Anyone else having a problem or any suggestions
My suggestion would be to not jump on a Canon firmware update on release day. Wait a few days and let others discover the problems. Several recent updates have been removed and subsequently replaced with an incremental update to address the day 0 problems.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

w16gym

EOS 1DX2
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2020
It would be nice to have a constant upgrade of SW so new features were available on Hardware that isn’t really “out of date”. Perhaps Canon should consider a subscription mechanism (annual fee) that covers a model line (1 or 3 or 5 or 6 etc) so that you pay an amount per year and you get all the SW upgrades constantly made available plus when new HW arrives you swap out the old HW for the new. This way you’re constantly up to date plus Canon have a constant revenue stream.

Upvote 0
i know, i am repating myselfs. I don't and never will understand why M on our R5's is not 'MANUAL' it is subject of being controlled of settings and restrictions and very meaningful settings in AV/TV mode. (shows, concerts, theater)
C1, C2, C3 are some help on this, but not a real solution if 'Manual' is needed (landscape, studio, architecture)

So who in the world can tell Mr. Canon, what M could be, if it wold be M

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I am not sure what you mean by out of the field of view. Is it totally out of the viewfinder and you lose tracking for when it reappears?
I mean some birds are almost impossible to keep in the frame anyway. It’s expecting a lot for a camera to reacquire the target. Maybe some day it will be able to. I’m thinking here puffins and swallows in flight. Could they just slow down a bit for photographers.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Some of those features, like the 'auto subject detect' require a faster/cooler digic X, which firmware won't deliver to older bodies :) But other things like resizable zones, selectable FPS and restricting tracking to a zone don't require hardware changes and I would very much like to get those in a firmware upgrade.
I really enjoy all the fancy new features my R8 has, but it lacks the resolution, buffer and CFe my R5 has.
How do we know that the Digic X on the R5 is not fast enough for those features? Has Canon stated that?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I mean some birds are almost impossible to keep in the frame anyway. It’s expecting a lot for a camera to reacquire the target. Maybe some day it will be able to. I’m thinking here puffins and swallows in flight. Could they just slow down a bit for photographers.
Thanks. Puffins, unlike swallows, although very fast fly in straight lines and I have always found them easy even with a DSLR. However, I use a light lens for BIF and I’ve been with birders with heavy lenses who couldn’t swing them fast enough.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
i know, i am repating myselfs. I don't and never will understand why M on our R5's is not 'MANUAL' it is subject of being controlled of settings and restrictions and very meaningful settings in AV/TV mode. (shows, concerts, theater)
C1, C2, C3 are some help on this, but not a real solution if 'Manual' is needed (landscape, studio, architecture)

I’ve never noticed this or it was never an obstacle to taking a good image. I’m always on M. To me it’s acts as M as any other Canon camera I’ve had. I have done any particular changes to the camera restricting anything. I’d have very little complaints about the R5 and specifically no complaints about the M mode.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
How do we know that the Digic X on the R5 is not fast enough for those features? Has Canon stated that?
It has, in a Canon podcast last fall when asked about R6II features coming to the R5. We'll have to take that with a grain of salt of course, but I can record the same length of oversampled 4k30 video on both my R8 and R5 and the R8s LP-E17 battery only has half the capacity of an LP-E6NH! That makes me think there's a large portion of truth to their statement :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It has, in a Canon podcast last fall when asked about R6II features coming to the R5. We'll have to take that with a grain of salt of course, but I can record the same length of oversampled 4k30 video on both my R8 and R5 and the R8s LP-E17 battery only has half the capacity of an LP-E6NH! That makes me think there's a large portion of truth to their statement :)
That is not evidence that the Digic X on the R5 runs slower or too slow so I'll share your grain of salt. My strong suspicion based on observation on Canon and other products over many years is that they have a deliberate planned obsolescence policy which includes holding back features. I remember when I bought my first Casio quartz watch in the 1970s there were two models, one with more high end features. The salesman showed me that the cheaper one had all those features as well but they weren't in the manual!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That is not evidence that the Digic X on the R5 runs slower or too slow so I'll share your grain of salt. My strong suspicion based on observation on Canon and other products over many years is that they have a deliberate planned obsolescence policy which includes holding back features. I remember when I bought my first Casio quartz watch in the 1970s there were two models, one with more high end features. The salesman showed me that the cheaper one had all those features as well but they weren't in the manual!
Yes, ‘the new digic X is more efficient’ and ‘the R5 can’t run the new stuff’ are 2 separate things, we know the former is true and have no way of verifying the latter.

Especially with a 5 series model that is for sure getting a successor soon, Canon will be stingy with firmware based improvements.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Sorry, it’s really unclear what you mean. You set aperture, shutter speed and ISO manually. That’s M mode.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
Sorry, it’s really unclear what you mean. You set aperture, shutter speed and ISO manually. That’s M mode.
Maybe he has a problem with the Auto ISO option in M mode. With a certain combination of menu settings, it is possible that if Auto ISO is used in M mode, the ISO value is reset to Auto ISO after a few seconds, and not to the fixed, previously set value. But such problems usually occur if the user manual is used superficially or not at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0