Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

I don't understand your metaphor, is it a car thing? The way I look at it is, they massively increased the stuff the camera is doing, and the battery life is slightly better. That's hard to achieve! It's like people complain about their phones needing to be charged a lot, whilst forgetting that they're doing a hundred things that stalwart Nokia 20 years ago wasn't.

Battery life is definitely an advantage DSLRs continue to have over mirrorless, but we know that already. If I made the switch I'd either get a battery grip, and/or spare batteries. It's not insurmountable, it's not a Canon-specific problem, and they're doing their best from what I can tell.
The battery bandolier would be my approach. Just keep an eye on the battery reserve meter and switch out when low. For me that is a better option than the bulk and weight of a battery grip. It’s what I do now with 5D3 albeit with less frequency.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I don't understand your metaphor, is it a car thing? The way I look at it is, they massively increased the stuff the camera is doing, and the battery life is slightly better. That's hard to achieve! It's like people complain about their phones needing to be charged a lot, whilst forgetting that they're doing a hundred things that stalwart Nokia 20 years ago wasn't.

Battery life is definitely an advantage DSLRs continue to have over mirrorless, but we know that already. If I made the switch I'd either get a battery grip, and/or spare batteries. It's not insurmountable, it's not a Canon-specific problem, and they're doing their best from what I can tell.
The battery is better? Rated at 350 with the R and 220 with the R5?

regarding phone battery, min lasts easily 15 hours and I do everything I want so that is nothing I complain about. And I use it a lot :LOL:

Upvote 0
An EVF does not show me reality, but just a copy of reality. Bryan from "The Digital Picture" put it this way: "The EVF properties just discussed can leave the photographer feeling somewhat disconnected from the moment, akin to watching a movie of an event vs. seeing it in-person as an OVF provides the sense of. ". That are exactly my thoughts. Next year I will visit the Olympics again (if they take place and allow spectators), but if I had a camera with an EVF, it would feel like sitting at home and watching the competition on TV. It is just a digital copy of reality. If I had an EVF, I could also take a video of the event with my camera and another person at another time could watch that video on the EVF. Then he would see exactly what I saw when I was there. I do not want to travel 9,000 kilometers to see a digital copy of reality.

Another problem I have with mirrorless cameras is that the sensor is always in use. While a DSLR only uses the sensor for a fraction of a second (unless I do a long exposure), the mirrorless camera might use the sensor for hours on some day. 99.9% of that usage time is just needed to compose the image. That seems quite a waste of "sensor time" for me and as well quite a waste of battery life. If I am on a journey, I walk through a city for many hours per day and my camera is always on. For my DSLR that is not a problem. I easily manage to take 2,000 photos with a single charge. I do not even own a second battery for my camera, as I never need 2,000 shots on a single day and a second battery would cost me $150 for my camera. If you buy an R5, you need a lot of spare batteries and some logistics to have them charged if you need them.

Some innovations of the past like autofocus brought big benefits without having any major downsides. With mirrorless cameras that is not the case. While I acknowledge the benefits of mirrorless cameras - like totally silent photos - seeing the subject with my own eyes instead of a digital copy of the subject is still a very basic requirement for me. My fear is that with a mirrorless camera I would lose the fun in photography.

Another thing I hate about the R5 and R6 is how small and light they are. You have to attach a battery grip to make them look like serious cameras. A heavy camera stabilizes the photo with its own weight. If I am attacked in a dark park, I want to knock out the attacker with my camera and the camera should still work after that. In 2013 I had the choice between the 1D X and the 5D Mark III. Those cameras had more or less the same specs. The 1D X had a higher burst rate and the 5D Mark III a slightly higher resolution. I opted for the 1D X just for its larger size and higher weight, even though it was much more expensive than the 5D Mark III. At 780 grams the R5 is much too light. I hope a heavy R1 will change that problem.

I do not understand why they gave the 45 megapixel R5 higher specs than the 20 megapixel R6. Canon says that the R5 is aimed at professionals and the R6 at amateurs. What is more "professional" about having more megapixels? The 1D series cameras always had quite a low megapixels count (except the discontnued 1Ds cameras). Canon simply can't cope with image noise very well and I don't think that has changed much with the R5 and R6. 45 megapixels are too many for a Canon camera, if Canon can't even handly the noise at 20 megapixels. That's why I would prefer a "professionel" lowe megapixel camera instead of an R6 that makes me appear like an amateur who just can't afford the R5.

I might only buy an R6 as a backup for difficult low light situations where I can't use a tripod. Eight stops of IBIS are very helpful there, but they should also be implemented in future DSLRs.

Why are mirrorless cameras called the "future"? Even my smartphone is mirrorless. Of course full frame mirrorless cameras are new, but they are just a larger version of an old idea,
I get it. Why use an air nailer when a hammer will work fine, needs no air, and lets you feel the nail.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
R5 reportedly out-resolves the 5DsR even at 5-mp less resolution, so I think the APS-C crop from the R5 will work.
R5 reportedly out-resolves the 5DsR even at 5-mp less resolution, so I think the APS-C crop from the R5 will work.

If I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't the crop mode on full-frame still result in the whole sensor being used, it just crops down after? Thus the density of pixels on target (bird, mammal, athlete, etc) is still reduced vs. a true APS-C?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't the crop mode on full-frame still result in the whole sensor being used, it just crops down after? Thus the density of pixels on target (bird, mammal, athlete, etc) is still reduced vs. a true APS-C?

Depends on which APS-C camera you're comparing it with, if it's an 18MP APS-C camera, the difference is small, 17MP in crop mode vs 18MP. If it's a 24 or 32MP APS-C camera, then yes, a lot less pixels per duck for the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

APS-C crop mode on full frame R is a hard crop to the RAW. This is different than the aspect ratio crops, which crop the JPEGs but the RAWs use the full sensor and add a marker to the file so Lightroom knows how to automatically apply a crop upon import.

My point was since the R5 is reportedly outresolving the 5DsR, it should make for good reach with cropping — since 5DsR users have done this successfully versus using the 7D series. The difference with using the R5 instead of the 5DsR will be fewer compromises in AF, FPS, buffer performance, etc. If the 5DsR resolution when cropped wasn’t good enough for you, then I guess stay with 7D or wait for the mirrorless version.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I had a GP-E2 on a 5D3 - I never liked it. Sure it works, but separate battery you need to keep charged daily, with a separate charger you need to take on the trip, needing another outlet at the hotel, a separate on/off switch you can forget to turn on, bulky: you bump it into a lot of things and it's sitting in the way of any flash you might want to use.
The software to use the GP-E2 (on a mac at least) sucks (like all canon software), the file format it creates for tracks is a proprietary format needing conversion.
I was really glad to get rid of it. Going back to it: not going to happen.

Well, I take an 8-pack of AA batteries with me and that usually lasts a trip without issues. I do agree the separate on-off switch is a pain. But it does work. I haven't even installed the Mac software as the geotagging goes straight into Lightroom without issue.

I've also used the bluetooth pairing with the R for GPS, and I've found that generally stable too, albeit with the usual issue that it doesn't always connect automatically when the camera is turned on - so I tend to switch lenses while the camera is still on, which I know many people don't like doing.

Upvote 0
Put the EVF in its 120 fps mode and it drains the battery in 220 images. I think that’s an epic fail. The batteries are hugely expensive here and they last less than 2 years before losing one of the capacity bars. And I would need 3 batteries for a day out shooting . All those epic specs and the batteries are the worst of any canon ever? Come on....
We need to see the production models, there is no way they would release something like that. At least I hope not.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

OK now that Canon is sitting on their hands, wondering what to do next:

RF 14--28mm f/4 (takes filters)
TS-R 24mm f/4 (ie 'small') with a tripod foot
TS-R 17mm with a tripod foot, and takes filters
or what the hell:
TS-R 24--50mm zoom

and:
RF 50mm f/1.4
RF 28mm f/2
RF 14mm f/2.8

Clearly it is time for the RF 500mm DO f/4.0 L, RF 500mm DO f/5.6 L, RF 600mm DO f/4.0 L, and RF 600mm DO f/5.6 L

Bring on the short fat primes!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Of course the EF era is over - you won't see any new EF lenses being launched - from now on everything will be RF and maybe EF-M if lucky.

This isn't as painful as the FD->EF transition when all your old lenses became obsolete overnight. At least now you can still use your legacy glass with the new system (and, amusingly, your old FD glass that you couldn't use on EF mount!)

Next time do me a favor and actually read the post :/

Upvote 0
An EVF does not show me reality, but just a copy of reality. Bryan from "The Digital Picture" put it this way: "The EVF properties just discussed can leave the photographer feeling somewhat disconnected from the moment, akin to watching a movie of an event vs. seeing it in-person as an OVF provides the sense of. ". That are exactly my thoughts. Next year I will visit the Olympics again (if they take place and allow spectators), but if I had a camera with an EVF, it would feel like sitting at home and watching the competition on TV. It is just a digital copy of reality. If I had an EVF, I could also take a video of the event with my camera and another person at another time could watch that video on the EVF. Then he would see exactly what I saw when I was there. I do not want to travel 9,000 kilometers to see a digital copy of reality.

Another problem I have with mirrorless cameras is that the sensor is always in use. While a DSLR only uses the sensor for a fraction of a second (unless I do a long exposure), the mirrorless camera might use the sensor for hours on some day. 99.9% of that usage time is just needed to compose the image. That seems quite a waste of "sensor time" for me and as well quite a waste of battery life. If I am on a journey, I walk through a city for many hours per day and my camera is always on. For my DSLR that is not a problem. I easily manage to take 2,000 photos with a single charge. I do not even own a second battery for my camera, as I never need 2,000 shots on a single day and a second battery would cost me $150 for my camera. If you buy an R5, you need a lot of spare batteries and some logistics to have them charged if you need them.

Some innovations of the past like autofocus brought big benefits without having any major downsides. With mirrorless cameras that is not the case. While I acknowledge the benefits of mirrorless cameras - like totally silent photos - seeing the subject with my own eyes instead of a digital copy of the subject is still a very basic requirement for me. My fear is that with a mirrorless camera I would lose the fun in photography.

Another thing I hate about the R5 and R6 is how small and light they are. You have to attach a battery grip to make them look like serious cameras. A heavy camera stabilizes the photo with its own weight. If I am attacked in a dark park, I want to knock out the attacker with my camera and the camera should still work after that. In 2013 I had the choice between the 1D X and the 5D Mark III. Those cameras had more or less the same specs. The 1D X had a higher burst rate and the 5D Mark III a slightly higher resolution. I opted for the 1D X just for its larger size and higher weight, even though it was much more expensive than the 5D Mark III. At 780 grams the R5 is much too light. I hope a heavy R1 will change that problem.

I do not understand why they gave the 45 megapixel R5 higher specs than the 20 megapixel R6. Canon says that the R5 is aimed at professionals and the R6 at amateurs. What is more "professional" about having more megapixels? The 1D series cameras always had quite a low megapixels count (except the discontnued 1Ds cameras). Canon simply can't cope with image noise very well and I don't think that has changed much with the R5 and R6. 45 megapixels are too many for a Canon camera, if Canon can't even handly the noise at 20 megapixels. That's why I would prefer a "professionel" lowe megapixel camera instead of an R6 that makes me appear like an amateur who just can't afford the R5.

I might only buy an R6 as a backup for difficult low light situations where I can't use a tripod. Eight stops of IBIS are very helpful there, but they should also be implemented in future DSLRs.

Why are mirrorless cameras called the "future"? Even my smartphone is mirrorless. Of course full frame mirrorless cameras are new, but they are just a larger version of an old idea,

This deserves a proper reply, but it may be longer than your statement here. Obviously mirrorless cameras are not for you. I would counter nearly every statement here, but I will not change your opinion. Just enjoy shooting. That is what really matters. For me, I love the direction that Canon is going with these new cameras. This is really the only second step for them and it will keep getting better from here. Better battery life would be great, no argument there. But the numbers posted can be deceiving. I have a Sony (heaven forbid) A7III and battery life is awesome, dare I say, even better than my Canon DSLR. The battery in the Sony is rated at 600-700 shots, but I can get over 1000 shots on a shoot doing nothing special. I think I ran down a battery only one time, and popped in a spare. Now if Canon can only do half that, there is a lot of room for improvement. The Canon EVF is higher res and faster refresh, both power drains, that I understand. These are not insurmountable issues, as in the not new tech of phones that last all day exists.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

[QUOTE="Codebunny, post: 842781, memb
and:
RF 50mm f/1.4

I'd be happy with a $500 RF 50mm f/1.8 if it renders as nicely as the FE 55mm 1.8 Sony/Zeiss lens.
[/QUOTE]

I got the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 S and the Z6 for less than the cost for a RF 50mm f/1.2. It is one of the best lenses I have used and seems to be one of the best 50mm lenses. As it stands I am just going to buy lenses for both Nikon and Canon and just use whatever one I need for the occasion. My mind separation is Nikon <200mm and Canon for wildlife so anything over 200mm.

Upvote 0