Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I certainly won’t give them free promotion by wearing the R5 jacket if I have one. I never use their camera straps.

The RRP for the R5 in Australia is A$7099. Some local retailers already dropped it to around A$6500, and includes a lucky strap and battery.
I presume you are from down under? I'm like you, apart from the Canon straps being no good for shoulder carrying and not long enough to do cross body, I just replace with a Peak Design slide which is far more comfortable, practical and durable, plus doesn't shout to everyone 'look what camera I've got'. Hate that

interesting that prices have dropped before the Camera is even released, that's a little weird and not sure what it says about the market or perceived demand for the product?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I presume you are from down under? I'm like you, apart from the Canon straps being no good for shoulder carrying and not long enough to do cross body, I just replace with a Peak Design slide which is far more comfortable, practical and durable, plus doesn't shout to everyone 'look what camera I've got'. Hate that

interesting that prices have dropped before the Camera is even released, that's a little weird and not sure what it says about the market or perceived demand for the product?
I think retailers in Australia realised $7099 was just a bit too hard to stomach for most customers... at $6500 it's roughly equal in cost to importing one from the states and then paying local taxes on top. This way local retailers don't lose sales to people shopping with overseas retailers..

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Everyone: "Why can't Canon make FF mirrorless cameras like Sony does?

Canon makes a camera with "spec sheet" 8K video that has heat issues.

Everyone: "OMG. Why does Canon have to pull the same crap as Sony?"

I am quite shocked how negative reviewers could get. E.g. Tony & Chelsea Northrup - did not those guys say stuff like - no way 8K is more than a timelapse mode? Now they seem to rave about the overheating. They should rent C200 for the 4K/60 stable performance though and not complain about the production level stuff with the small MILC camera of any brand, even if those might be regarded being professional ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

Yes I am in Melbourne. I have been using the BlackRapid strap and hands traps from SpiderPro. I also have the Peakdesign Capture.

I believe the RRP in Australia is too high hence preorders are lower than what Canon Australia have predicted. Hence the local retailers are dropping the RRP.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I think retailers in Australia realised $7099 was just a bit too hard to stomach for most customers... at $6500 it's roughly equal in cost to importing one from the states and then paying local taxes on top. This way local retailers don't lose sales to people shopping with overseas retailers..

Agree. A$6500 is closer to price parity against some overseas markets such as USA and Singapore.

Upvote 0
A very serious question from me is about the Dynamic Range when shooting on 8k Raw video. When you shoot 8k raw doesn't that mean that DR is the same as when you shoot Raw photos with R5? Im asking cause I red somewhere that 8K Raw with C-Log is only 12 stops DR cause C-Log can't provide better DR like the C-Log2 and C-Log3 on cinema cameras like C200, C300 Mark III, C500 Mark II. I had the same question for 1Dx Mark III which had C-Log also. Parker Walbeck for example said to one of his videos that 1Dx Mark III has 14+ stops of DR... but other I found that C-Log can't provide more than 12 stops. If this is true then it's a shame to have that amazing videos specs on such limited DR. 1Dx Mark III tested and rated by DxO at 14.5 stops of DR. So that means that R5 may even get higher than that! That's incredible news because Canon at last is on par with Nikon and Sony regarding DR. C-Log is a flat profile that isn't embedded in Raw video from what I know so far... then how they say that it's limited on 12 stops regarding DR when shooting Raw video on R5? If someone can enlighten me, please do so!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
A very serious question from me is about the Dynamic Range when shooting on 8k Raw video. When you shoot 8k raw doesn't that mean that DR is the same as when you shoot Raw photos with R5?
...with electronic shutter.

The DR with mechanical shutter is higher, but only at ISOs 100 up to 400. Further up in ISO, the DR is limited by photon count of incoming light.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Or they knew that they wouldn’t get the preorder numbers and needs a bit of incentives to win over those who may be on the fence.

Customer - "I'm just not sure I want to spend 6K on a new Camera"

Sales Person - "It comes with a free jacket if you order now!!"

Customer - "How can I resist"

You really think anyone gives a rats ass about a jacket? Every year I get my "free" CPS stuff and it just collects dust, ok I use the pen. No way a free jacket is driving sales...

The Aussies are getting a Limited Edition EOS R5 Leather Lucky Strap (Bonus) and Extra Battery. I wish they offered the extra battery here in Canada, that will be useful, but would not factor into if I buy something or not.

Free Jacket, Free Battery, etc are not why people drop 6K on a Camera (least it should not be)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I am quite shocked how negative reviewers could get. E.g. Tony & Chelsea Northrup - did not those guys say stuff like - no way 8K is more than a timelapse mode? Now they seem to rave about the overheating. They should rent C200 for the 4K/60 stable performance though and not complain about the production level stuff with the small MILC camera of any brand, even if those might be regarded being professional ...

I watched the Tony & Chelsea Northrup video and was quite frustrated with them. They tried to come over as not negative but sorry, they clearly were negative and haven't even tested it yet. All Chelsea seemed to want is for Canon to give her one to test as she thought it was terrible that Canon would only give pre production versions to Ambassadors and not to independent reviewers.

Why on earth would Canon or any manufacturer want to give Production cameras to people who don't work for them or have links with them??

Me thinks think you do protest too much Mr & Mrs Northrup!! :sneaky:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Yes I am in Melbourne. I have been using the BlackRapid strap and hands traps from SpiderPro. I also have the Peakdesign Capture.

I believe the RRP in Australia is too high hence preorders are lower than what Canon Australia have predicted. Hence the local retailers are dropping the RRP.
What do you think to the Capture? I purchased one and used it with my EOS R and 24-105mm F4L but found it not comfortable at all on my belt or on the rucksack strap. I sent it back as I won't use it. Is it me or does it warrant the advertising hype?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I watched the Tony & Chelsea Northrup video and was quite frustrated with them. They tried to come over as not negative but sorry, they clearly were negative and haven't even tested it yet. All Chelsea seemed to want is for Canon to give her one to test as she thought it was terrible that Canon would only give pre production versions to Ambassadors and not to independent reviewers.

Why on earth would Canon or any manufacturer want to give Production cameras to people who don't work for them or have links with them??

Me thinks think you do protest too much Mr & Mrs Northrup!! :sneaky:
The challenge with YouTube is these "reviewers" just want the traffic and crapping on Canon ensures that the Sony crowd will all watch so they can worship at the alter of Canon hate and the Canon user watch cause it is infuriating to see so much fail.

Upvote 0
Curious what things people are looking forward to and what people are less excited about.

For me, probably the most exciitng thing is 8 stop image stabilisation, even with all the caveats. I got a new phone this year and it does simulated long exposures (night mode) handheld that works up to ~10 seconds, which has transformed the sort of situations I can take pictures in. Obviously the Canon system is very different (not least the ease of holding a big camera + lens still for several seconds), but I would be very interested to try pushing that to its limits.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

You really think anyone gives a rats ass about a jacket? Every year I get my "free" CPS stuff and it just collects dust, ok I use the pen. No way a free jacket is driving sales...

The Aussies are getting a Limited Edition EOS R5 Leather Lucky Strap (Bonus) and Extra Battery. I wish they offered the extra battery here in Canada, that will be useful, but would not factor into if I buy something or not.

Free Jacket, Free Battery, etc are not why people drop 6K on a Camera (least it should not be)

Canon Australia - Hey we are going to make a lot profit from the R5, why don't we just cut our profit by giving out the camera strap and battery? Yeah right!

Their marketing department isn't silly. Of course people don't buy the R5 because of the freebies. Those already made up their mind. The incentives may deter those who might getting the camera from overseas.

• Haha
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
What do you think to the Capture? I purchased one and used it with my EOS R and 24-105mm F4L but found it not comfortable at all on my belt or on the rucksack strap. I sent it back as I won't use it. Is it me or does it warrant the advertising hype?

I bought the Capture recently so haven't given it a good test due to the lockdown. I am planning to have it on the shoulder strap of my backpack when hiking etc. Agree that it doesn't look comfortable when on the bell. I think the SpiderPro is the best if you shoot wedding and events?

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
For any production at the level you describe in your first paragraph, the difference in cost between having three bodies to rotate on set instead of a single body is miniscule in the overall scale of the total cost per day to shoot.

This is not much different than when TV shows started shooting some shows with 5D Mark IIs and 7Ds: They had to have three bodies to swap out when each started getting too warm.
Sorry I wasn't clear on I was more replying to several comments on previous pages and (very poorly) making the point on when folks dictate what someone else needs, like the you don't need 8K because I don't crowd jumping on others. Just mixed in with my personal thoughts of a move away from Canons more conservative just works in normal conditions with no limits may look like I'm saying it is right tool for what you suggest whem IMHO if you NEED that you should get a cine cam. My bad so apologies on that. Totally not saying it should be first choice for a replacement cine cam in general, and I recall the dslr for production use and they tended to be for limited niche scenes where that was the best tool when many of the productions used more appropriate gear in other scenes or other shows the same folks worked on. Exact same point when folks shouted at the time you can't use dslrs for tv production when in some niches it was the best tool if you had all the info they had.

The overheating issue won't affect me, doesn't particularly bother me and I totally feel it is blown out of proportion. A lot of the hate is either shills who are paid to do that which I dislike but understand and affiliate influencers mostly fall into that thus I get why they wont bite the sponsors being fair and controversy drives clicks too, sucks but just how the world is. Rest is brand tribalism which I have no time for despite being Canon shooter exclusively since switched from film (pentax then mostly). Never jumped ship throughout the "cripple years" and although never defended some of the crippling of lines I never hated on it and they have always been good enough to produce professional images. What bothers me most is folks spend more time arguing on forums instead of improving their photo game these days and I feel youtube influencers and like feed that rather than inspiring people to make better images regardless of brand.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I started using the capture a few weeks ago and I like it very much for long lenses, like the 180mm macro. With shorter lenses it seems to bounce around a bit more.
The opposite end of the spectrum, M6II with 32mm, works great, but the capture feels a bit overkill for that.
Too soon for me to give recommendation either way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For me, probably the most exciitng thing is 8 stop image stabilisation, even with all the caveats. I got a new phone this year and it does simulated long exposures (night mode) handheld that works up to ~10 seconds, which has transformed the sort of situations I can take pictures in. Obviously the Canon system is very different (not least the ease of holding a big camera + lens still for several seconds), but I would be very interested to try pushing that to its limits.
Most exciting for me is the AF that looks superb in both stills and more impressively video. 100% viewfinder coverage is just mind blowing and the accuracy of the eye AF in the videos published so far looks ‘A’mazing

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This is not a new system. If you think it is, well, I guess that on you. If I wanted a Rokinon trash lens, I would have bought the ones I have field tested. My point is, waiting for an announced lens an additional four months is silly. Just announce it in a few months time, we all have the internet, we don't need to attend the conventions to know what is coming out in the next month. hell, here we are on a rumor site right now!

The 100mm f2.8 macros lens that I currently use is 11 years old, so yeah, I would like something that is not $3,000 USD to replace it.

Would I be complaining about a rumored lens coming out? No, I wouldn't. My question was in regards to why announce it so early if there are not enough units to release the sale as I have seen the test units in the field.

So it's better not to know about a lens until it comes out? If the availability is October, what difference doe it make whether they announce it now or in a couple of months' time? Having the information sooner doesn't do any harm, but can allow some people to plan ahead, budget etc. On the other hand, some people say companies should release roadmaps of all future products. I'm ambivalent.

Upvote 0

At Camera Pro where I pre-ordered it, they also have a bonus EF-RF adapter.
These little addons may work as a last straw for some potential buyers, they create an illusion of a greater value than they really are :)

Upvote 0