Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Check out the full specs before posting such (useless) comment.
It's really not useless, especially for the R6.
Of course it is always best to have the fastest and have everything unlocked and the best performance for burst shooting.

But for those who don't need it, might as well save up some money, it is not a small difference in price.

Feel free so stick those useless SD cards to your brand new R5 or R6. I am not going to pay close to A$5000 on R6 or over A$7000 on the R5 and use a SD card that cannot realized the full performance of the camera. Just stupid!

Upvote 0
Don't know if you saw this in the other thread, but I posted a screencap of a video with the GPS Settings option in the R5 menu. So there's some sort of GPS feature there, but probably bluetooth instead of in-body. You can see my post here.

Very good. So there's some form of GPS. Definitely not in-camera because of this https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r5-initial-review/5 (last row says there's no GPS). Because it's under network section of the menu, it's likely done through the BT. Better than nothing...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Feel free so stick those useless SD cards to your brand new R5 or R6. I am not going to pay close to A$5000 on R6 or over A$7000 on the R5 and use a SD card that cannot realized the full performance of the camera. Just stupid!
I do use them on the EOS R and they present no limitations to me whatsoever. If they do, then I switch to better cards, but I can record 4k with the IPB codec forever (but I use 1080p for 95% of the time anyway) and I also haven't encountered buffer issues.

You know, a lot of people were complaining on this forum that they just don't need video. If they also don't shoot sports either, then they don't necessarily need the cards.

Spending a lot on cards if you don't need to. That's the stupid thing (Yes saving money if you Do need it is stupid, too)

Upvote 0
Don't forget the 64GB UHS-I SD card as well! Resellers are trying to differentiate themselves a bit. The strap/battery from Canon is to help absorb the sticker shock. The 5 year warranty is definitely a local bonus of course. The resellers have had 30% store wide discounts in the past. I will just need to wait for the next one to get another RF lens
Camera warehouse is giving away the strap, battery and a 64gb UHS-II card. I already have the EF to RF adapter.. so that's probably the best deal for me

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I do use them on the EOS R and they present no limitations to me whatsoever. If they do, then I switch to better cards, but I can record 4k with the IPB codec forever (but I use 1080p for 95% of the time anyway) and I also haven't encountered buffer issues.

You know, a lot of people were complaining on this forum that they just don't need video. If they also don't shoot sports either, then they don't necessarily need the cards.

Spending a lot on cards if you don't need to. That's the stupid thing (Yes saving money if you Do need it is stupid, too)

I also have the R. Its maximum burst rates is 5 frames and record 4k in crop. The R6 and R5 are different animals.

I wonder why people would both to upgrade to the R5 or R6 but won't need the high frame rates nor recording 4k and 8k? Just doesn't make sense to me.

If I am going to flock out up to A$7000 on the R5, I would be silly to save a couple of hundred to use a less than optimal sd card and not able take advantage of its class leading features.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Newbie question; what is the advantage (if any) of shooting crop mode in photo compared to cropping in post, when using an EF (of RF) lense? I can't seem to find straight answer looking around. I think the EOS-R has the option as well, but given the 45MP of the R5 the remaining crop might still have enough resolution. Let me know.
The very least is a ~4x smaller file size on your card and on your computer and faster transfer to your computer. A smart manufacturer could even use it to speed up data acquistion, frame rates etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Yes. By extrapolating the very extreme of the original range (3-4k, 15-20 years) you managed to "win" on a technicality, on the internet. Congratulations. Of course, you then conceded the entire original point - that high end camera pricing has remained static for years, and therefore that the smartphone argument (the initial point) wasn't a value detractor from their sales. But who cares, because you got to construct an angle out of a conversation you weren't a part of to win a point on the internet. You go, girl!
Wow, think I may have hit a nerve here. 1st off, this is a public forum so anyone can comment on any post and Im not aware that conversations are limited to certain people? If you don't want people to comment on your posts, dont post.

In regard to 'win a point on the internet. You go girl' Apart from being a little childish, I very clearly said I don't have an opinion either way and was just curious about what mainstream camera's cost £3-£4k 20 years ago as I think you've acknowledged there were none so sort of undermines the content a little.

If it makes you feel better, your right, I'm wrong and you can have all the points and prizes. I really don' t care and it's not that important.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I also have the R. Its maximum burst rates is 5 frames and record 4k in crop. The R6 and R5 are different animals.

I wonder why people would both to upgrade to the R5 or R6 but won't need the high frame rates nor recording 4k and 8k? Just doesn't make sense to me.

If I am going to flock out up to A$7000 on the R5, I would be silly to save a couple of hundred to use a less than optimal sd card and not able take advantage of its class leading features.
The R6 is only 4K IPB and also only 20MP, so the buffer should last a pretty decent amount of time. Needs testing.

The R5 is a great landscape camera (sharper than 5DsR according to Canon) where again, you can waste a lot on cards, you just don't need to. At all. Most people will use them for wedding etc. yes in that case it is better to have the fastest SD card possible to not slow down the dual card slots.

Not everyone needs everything, and people need to understand each other instead of living in a world with their narrow take on things and being patronising , calling everything else being stupid for the way they do things.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
If it makes you feel better, your right, I'm wrong and you can have all the points and prizes. I really don' t care and it's not that important.:ROFLMAO:

A response which might have worked had you not kept this up over several days. Also, "if you don't want people to respond to your posts, don't post" cuts both ways there. You kept pushing on a point, I pushed back and backed it up. It's that simple.

Still, glad we agreed in the end.

Upvote 0
Yes. By extrapolating the very extreme of the original range (3-4k, 15-20 years) you managed to "win" on a technicality, on the internet. Congratulations. Of course, you then conceded the entire original point - that high end camera pricing has remained static for years, and therefore that the smartphone argument (the initial point) wasn't a value detractor from their sales. But who cares, because you got to construct an angle out of a conversation you weren't a part of to win a point on the internet. You go, girl!
Seem like your basing your whole argument about a comment said in a friendly forum discussion on absolutly no known facts and its basically your oprnnion. Nobody is here to win anythig and its all supposted to be a bit of fun. If you feel so defensive over aver little comment apposing your view, then why bother at all?

I'm looking at EOS-3, EOS-5, EOS 5D, EOS5DII just from Canon and none of these were £4K cameras.

Looking at you sales figures you kindly posted, interchangeable camera global sales seemed to have increased year on year up to 2012 when there was a sharp decline. Coincidently, the 5DIII in 2012 was the first Canon camera to jump up in price from the normal inflationary trend and was also around the time smart phones started to get serious over photography.

Reporters no longer needed photographers, news rooms could obtain cheap images all around the globe, image lead social media exploded and everyone had easy access to a camera.

Its just my opinion, you are welcome to form you own so please don't be offended by it and throw any more cheap insults "You go, girl!" at people please.

Upvote 0
q and a with Rudy Winston and b and h. Long but informative

Ok, there's another confirmation in the video Canon thinks the DR is about 1 stop better than R or 5DIV. Also they say GPS can be received through bluetooth or some special GPS device.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Reporters no longer needed photographers, news rooms could obtain cheap images all around the globe, image lead social media exploded and everyone had easy access to a camera.

Its just my opinion, you are welcome to form you own so please don't be offended by it and throw any more cheap insults "You go, girl!" at people please.

I had no idea that posting data would upset so many delicate flowers. You've repositioned your argument several times to make the point, and you still don't have one. DSLR / pro-level cameras have always been priced in a similar way, given cost of living increases. There has been a minor fall, in tandem with a steep drop off of consumer, single lens point and shoots. My opinion is that of the market - that there are still good sales being made in this area. As you say, you're entitled to an opinion. It doesn't make it right though.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I believe that this is the link the original poster was referring to (last name was missing the "s":
Thanks for that link - it worked. I did find the part about focus bracketing. Unfortunately, it only allows one mode of operation, where the bracket starts at the focused position and the focus distance increases with each shot until done. :( That's the way it worked in my Olympus EM1_II and I hated it as it was too hard (actually impossible) to guess how far to bring in the focus distance so that the bracketed shots would cover what you wanted with the main point of interest in the middle of it. There were many times when the whole bracket was completely worthless because the main point of interest was never reached.

Canon: can you please add this option to the focus bracketing menu? :
I hope Canon can hear feedback on this and add (quite easily) an option in the menu to allow the initial focus position to be the *middle* of the bracketed shots, as that's the way I'd want to use it. EG: I'd focus on the eye of the bug I want to bracket, then press the exposure button, and the camera would back up the focus (reduce the focus distance) appropriately so that the bracketed shots would have the eye in the middle of the bracket instead of only at the first shot of the bracket.

Upvote 0
I had no idea that posting data would upset so many delicate flowers.

???

You've repositioned your argument several times to make the point, and you still don't have one.

Repositioned how? I'm still sympathising with those who find the cost of the R5 as surprise.

DSLR / pro-level cameras have always been priced in a similar way, given cost of living increases.

See above, they were not.

There has been a minor fall, in tandem with a steep drop off of consumer, single lens point and shoots. My opinion is that of the market - that there are still good sales being made in this area. As you say, you're entitled to an opinion. It doesn't make it right though.

You're looking at the wrong data and need to look at interchangeable lens camera global sales. Still good sales being made yes but the overall trend has shifted sharply and sales are back to 2007 levels and continues to drop. Let's see if the R5 bucks the trend.

I think this is enough off topic discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm curious to see if the 4k 120p has audio recording. Gordon Laing stated in his video that 1080 @120p isn't currently included in pre-production R5 models, but he's asked Canon for it already and I've seen in this thread that somewhere it was confirmed; it will be included in a firmware update. I hope this too will have audio recording.

Edit: Nevermind. Found in the same video that 4k @120p has no audio and is slowed down by 4x in camera. Hopefully when 1080 @120p is released, it retains audio recording :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm curious to see if the 4k 120p has audio recording. Gordon Laing stated in his video that 1080 @120p isn't currently included in pre-production R5 models, but he's asked Canon for it already and I've seen in this thread that somewhere it was confirmed; it will be included in a firmware update. I hope this too will have audio recording.

Edit: Nevermind. Found in the same video that 4k @120p has no audio and is slowed down by 4x in camera. Hopefully when 1080 @120p is released, it retains audio recording :).
While I'm so pleased with the news of 1080 @ 120p and possibly C-Log3 coming in a future firmware I'd also like to see some photo features like multi shot added for photographers now we have this excellent IBIS system.

Upvote 0