Feature updates coming via firmware for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It is being reported to myself and others that Canon is going to be releasing feature updates to both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 via firmware.
Rumored Canon EOS R5 Firmware Update:

FullHD 120p
Adding a low bitrate mode for RAW & IPB in all recording modes
Canon Log 3

I do find the mention of FullHD at 120p confusing, as the Canon USA site shows FullHD 120p as a feature already.

The Canon USA Pro Twitter account says it’s supported.

Full HD 120fps is supported. The EOS R5 specification information...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Makes sense when everyone who bought the overheating R5 realize 20 minutes of filming is really not a lot, canon will have to do something about it ! Firmware updates is the best trick to keep idiots believing in the product...
Most people don't use these types of cameras for long filming periods. They have the cinema line for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I am very hopeful that the 120fps @ 1080p (Full HD) is going to occur.
In fact, I would have loved it to be 240fps, (with full AF, rapid exposure updates, etc) - because that would be a great tool for slow-mo.

When I saw the 8k raw video specs, and 120fps @ 4k, I really hoped that it would be at least 120fps @ Full HD... which was a (little) disappointment for me. I won't use 4k often, let alone 8k. But full HD I will use fairly regularly.

So I certainly hope this information / rumour will become reality!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'd be surprised about Clog3, but HD 120fps in the R5 seems like a good possibility. I've asked a number of Canon reps about it, illustrating how anyone still using a 1080p workflow (honestly quite a lot of people) would be better off with the cheaper R6 than R5.

Regardless of all the unreasonable complainers, Canon really hit it out of the park with these two bodies. I applaud them.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
I'd be surprised about Clog3, but HD 120fps in the R5 seems like a good possibility.

Agree on both. And as others have said, the overheating is a non-issue that youtubers know get clicks for a week. If you're filming 20 minutes of continuous 8K or 120fps 4K, I would love to know the reason, and why you didn't hire an ARRI for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Makes sense when everyone who bought the overheating R5 realize 20 minutes of filming is really not a lot, canon will have to do something about it ! Firmware updates is the best trick to keep idiots believing in the product...
A little harsh and insulting to anyone who has pre ordered?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Damn just rumors. if they add these, they would be the camera GOATS. Whats the CR on these.

More than just rumors.

Regarding contents under consideration for correspondence with firmware upgrade

• Full HD/120P recording size support
  • Added low bitrate mode to RAW and IPB for all resolutions and frame rates
  • Canon Log 3

• Wow
Upvote 0

ddixon

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2018
The headline is a bit of a stretch. Canon does not say these are coming, merely that they are thinking about it. Still, the fact that they even mentioned it is interesting and I hope these come to pass. You have to think that the sensor can do these, so maybe Canon just did not have time by the announcements to test and verify these.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

What has been the longest 8K video clip you have shot so far?

The only time I ever shoot more than about 5 minutes of video in a single shot is when I'm recording a presentation and for that I would use 1080p every time.

Weird how some people are all "I don't want a camera with video features!" and then later "The video features I didn't want aren't good enough"

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010

1080p 120 seems to be an oversight on Canon's part and makes sense to add via firmware update. As for overheating, no one has the camera in hand to report overheating issues other than the Canon Ambassadors and I think 1 reported it.

What do people want in a ~4,000 hybrid camera? Canon gave users just about everything they asked for and then some, yet some are still not satisfied with a camera they've never held and hasn't had any real world reviews yet. If you need more than 20 minutes of 8K, you should more than likely be shopping for a dedicated professional grade cinema camera and you'll pay minimum 3-5 times as much for a top of the line model. This will be fantastic for small projects and b-roll which is what I think Canon intended.

I can admit that I was wrong about pricing on the camera and I'm now seriously considering it since my 5DIII has well over 600,000 shutter clicks.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Weird how some people are all "I don't want a camera with video features!" and then later "The video features I didn't want aren't good enough"

No, those are two non-intersecting sets of people.

The first set asks: What's the point in pouring all that R&D into the camera if doesn't apparently meet the needs of people who'll actually film in 8K? Just give us an uncompromised stills camera!

The second set says: why did you hobble a video camera with insufficient cooling just to keep those stills guys happy with weathersealing? Just give us an uncompromised video cam!

• Haha
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
No, those are two non-intersecting sets of people.

The first set asks: What's the point in pouring all that R&D into the camera if doesn't apparently meet the needs of people who'll actually film in 8K? Just give us an uncompromised stills camera!

The second set says: why did you hobble a video camera with insufficient cooling just to keep those stills guys happy with weathersealing? Just give us an uncompromised video cam!

I know! Just find it amusing that despite this being the most revolutionary camera that Canon have launched in years there's no shortage of people complaining.

Fortunately there's no shortage of people pre-ordering too, so I don't think Canon will be that concerned with the compainers.

Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
Damn just rumors. if they add these, they would be the camera GOATS. Whats the CR on these.
There is no documented overheating problem with these cameras...reason...no one has had one to test! Not one single production model has been tested by an independent reviewer. Stop speading unsubstantiated rumours.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm more wondering if they'll add another option for 4k 24/25/30 that isn't a full downsampling from 8k to avoid the overheating problem. On the surface that makes sense - if people really want to record 4k with no time limit and not melt the camera, why not allow a lower quality video output which doesn't have the same heat generation (if technically possible). Or maybe one of those adaptors referenced on the "what's next" rumour page is that EF adapter cooling system that was patented a while back...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0