What’s next from Canon?

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
The R5 is only $400 more expensive than the 5D4 when it was released in 2016. I’d say you’ve got a pretty fantastic stills camera in the R5 that just happens to have some phenomenal video features that you don’t have to use.
How on earth does does the R6 with its low density sensor replace the 7D line with its high density sensor, which is used by wild-life photographers precisely because ot its high resolution? The R5 in crop mode would do that.
You’re saying the sensor in the 1Dx III (same sensor in R6) is not up to snuff?

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

No, he's saying that that crop sensors provide an less-expensive way of getting more pixels on the subject. Folks shooting on a 1DX3 tend to have "costs more than a used car" glass hanging off of it. A 100-400 on a 24mp crop body approximates—with tradeoffs—what you're getting with big whites on a 1 series.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
People swore the digital would never overtake some advantages film had and the two would live side by side for ever. Well, film isn't totally gone yet but its relegated to a very small niche at this point. I think the cost and logistics and splitting the market between your own competing product lines just means that Canon or any other mfg won't want to maintain the two side by side for long.

I don't have a mirrorless body so I don't really know how hard that transition is. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me rent one for a week to try out.

Only time will tell for sure!

Agree.

For me the transition was about half a minute. Now I can hardly bear to look through my 7D2 or 5D4.

Who doesn't want the ability to adjust settings and instantly see what the image is going to look like?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
The R5 is only $400 more expensive than the 5D4 when it was released in 2016. I’d say you’ve got a pretty fantastic stills camera in the R5 that just happens to have some phenomenal video features that you don’t have to use.
The R5 appears to be the same price it was back in 2016 once you correct for the fact that the Yen is substantially stronger against the dollar than it was in 2016 (~123:1 then vs 107:1 now).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Of course I am not saying that. The low Mpx FF sensors are great for high speed data transfer and low noise at high isos. The high Mpx series FF cameras have better reach but slower performance. The 7D series have small APS-C sensors that enable high speed and high reach but at the expense of noise at high iso. The R6 is very different from a 7 series.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
DSLRs will always have one advantage: the speed of light. No electronic viewfinder will ever match a mirror.

Honestly, I fail to understand the way some on this forum (not you) have an almost religious devotion to mirrorless systems. I use both. I like both. There are advantages to both. I have yet to see anyone make a solid business argument that Canon is going to walk away from the DSLR market or the EF system anytime soon.
But Canon aren't developing any new EF lenses , so while they me not dropping the DSLR yet , they are certainly not interested in further developing it either , I cant see them bringing out another 1DX either the focus will be moved on to a high end R camera to replace it .

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm sure Canon have a 5D Mark V design ready and waiting in case they decide to launch it, but I also suspect they're waiting to see how well the R5 does. If the R5 sells as well or better than the 5D IV did at launch then there's probably no point them launching the 5D V.
Exactly. Its a financial decision, and, with Covid still in full bloom in many countries, I don't expect Canon to risk a 5D MK V unless the R5 and R6 cameras flop. That's very unlikely, they have obviously putting a huge amount of $$$$ into PR.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

I don't undserstand why you think they would want to , I mean the new R5 is the new 5d , there's nothing in it for them , thousands of bought into the RF system now , they are not going to bring out a 5D now it doesn't have a big enough following anymore .
I kinda explained why... In terms of ROI, it's an easy win. And let's not assume everybody is pleased with the R5. I'm not. And there are many more people involved in EF lenses.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

That would create a DSLR that performs much better in live view mode than when it is used with the OVF. There is no point in such a camera, if you don't use the OVF any more. View finder type and AF type are tightly coupled.

Mirrorless cameras will easily supersede DSLRs, when both, AF performance and view finders are superior. Does the R5 mark the tipping point here? Maybe! We will see very soon.
You can never be superior to an OVF, by definition.

Upvote 0
Regarding viewfinder type, the 1DX3 shows there's still performance headroom in discrete PDAF modules. That said, the R5 does seem to be the first camera that challenges the big "gripped" bodies in terms of AF performance. I would expect the 1DX3 would still outperform with a big white though, purely from a power delivery standpoint though.

EVF vs OVF is not something I expect to ever be "settled" just like how there are still a lot of folks who prefer film.
Put a battery grip on the R5 and you have the power.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

Yep. And the 100-500L @ 2699 is a bargain given the 100-400L II was and still is $2100-2200 - since its debut in 2014. Given the IQ is what we hope that is.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Same sensor in R6 as in 1DXIII? This is what DPR writes: "The R6 is built around a variant of the 20MP sensor originally seen in the EOS-1D X III. Canon doesn't specify the difference but there's noticeably no mention of the R6 using the expensive '16-point' anti-aliasing filter from the flagship camera, which is a likely distinction (we'd expect the R6's AA filter to be the more conventional type)."

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
You can never be superior to an OVF, by definition.
I mean, maybe in resolution, but as someone who is near-sighted, an EVF is a huge advantage over an OVF. Previously it was difficult to not accidentally compensate for my vision when looking through an OVF and ending up with slightly out of focus pictures. Yes I know you can correct for that, but it slows you down and being able to just pick up any camera with an EVF and go without that concern is very valuable. At least to me.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

I just don't understand why when we talk about the 5D Mark V, some people are so keen on bashing the idea. It's like they enjoy doing so.

Can't these people understand that many of us still prefer the size, the grip, the OVF, the built-in GPS, the longer battery life, the sturdier build quality that DSLRs offer? And the ability to mount EF lenses natively and access a wider range of lenses.

Also, what about transition/overlap? You really think you stop the 5D lineup as soon as the first iteration of its mirrorless equivalent is released? FFS, Nikon is still building a film DSLR.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Same sensor in R6 as in 1DXIII? This is what DPR writes: "The R6 is built around a variant of the 20MP sensor originally seen in the EOS-1D X III. Canon doesn't specify the difference but there's noticeably no mention of the R6 using the expensive '16-point' anti-aliasing filter from the flagship camera, which is a likely distinction (we'd expect the R6's AA filter to be the more conventional type)."

It isn't the same sensor. It's a variation and that could mean a lot of things. I keep reading people say 'it's the same' but I can't imagine 'the same' sensor in a $6500 camera being dropped part and parcel into a $2400 offering.

Either way - I've done 20MP and it's too damn small. So there's that.

Upvote 0