R5 NOT replacing 5DmIV?

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Informative video. Some thing I hadn't heard or wasn't sure about is the redesigned low pass filter that allows Canon to claim the sensor in the R5 produces more detail than even the 5Ds or 5DsR, even though those have more MPx.

I don't normally nerd out on this type of stuff, and more than a little bit is over my head, but it describes the new low-pass filter in the 1DxIII and supposedly the R5 now as well. https://www.strollswithmydog.com/canon-high-res-gd-lpf-aa/. He's got links to his reference material at the end and it looks like most of it is sourced directly from Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Ok, so I take the two previous posts and merge them...conflicting ideas on the filter when combined with two very different sensors, yet my question being based on the R6 and it's 'version' of the 1DX3 sensor, shouldn't I take HenryL's post as encouraging? I have yet to find definitive specs on this from Canon (probably not looking in the right place)

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Ok, so I take the two previous posts and merge them...conflicting ideas on the filter when combined with two very different sensors, yet my question being based on the R6 and it's 'version' of the 1DX3 sensor, shouldn't I take HenryL's post as encouraging? I have yet to find definitive specs on this from Canon (probably not looking in the right place)
Not directly from Canon, but this article at DigitalCameraWorld claims only the R5 uses the new high detail low-pass filter.

"The 45MP sensor in the R5 is a brand new design, and Canon claims that it’s actually the highest-resolving sensor it has ever produced – delivering detail even higher than that of the Canon EOS 5DS / R, which has a 50.6MP sensor. This is because it features the same redesigned low-pass filter seen in the flagship Canon EOS-1D X Mark III, with 16-point subsampling that results in supreme image quality.

Not to be outdone, the 20.1MP sensor in the R6 is actually the same high-speed one found in the flagship – though it lacks the new low-pass filter. So, in both cases, you’re getting Canon’s most cutting-edge technology with flagship-level flourishes."

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There are many who beg to differ. Not all of us want an EVF for one thing. It doesn't end there.
I guess that for the next six months we are going to have to listen to the forum experts declaring there will never be another 5D. After that we will be treated to "The 5DV will be the last in the series."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I guess that for the next six months we are going to have to listen to the forum experts declaring there will never be another 5D. After that we will be treated to "The 5DV will be the last in the series."
highly likely will be the case, but I for one is always preferring the OVF for non fatigue usage and that during vacation I don't need to even charge my 2 batteries in the grip more than once, with my vacation usage likely with a R camera I need to charge batteries every night which is tiring... and in fact back a few years when I went to yellow knife for aurora photography, the -30 degrees C temperature did froze up the top 5D III LCD as well as some sony A7 EVF making it barely work after an hour, I do think OVF have it advantage on that

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
highly likely will be the case, but I for one is always preferring the OVF for non fatigue usage and that during vacation I don't need to even charge my 2 batteries in the grip more than once, with my vacation usage likely with a R camera I need to charge batteries every night which is tiring... and in fact back a few years when I went to yellow knife for aurora photography, the -30 degrees C temperature did froze up the top 5D III LCD as well as some sony A7 EVF making it barely work after an hour, I do think OVF have it advantage on that
Well, I don't know what to say about that.
Last winter I went to take some photos at Elbow Falls, in Kananaskis, with a friend.
I had my 5D Mark IV with me and he had his Sony A7R3. We were there for the sunrise and it was a very cold day, about -34C at 7:00AM.

In about half an hour my camera's back screen froze. I could still take photos but I wasn't able to see them. Also, some of the buttons war not working properly.
My friend's Sony was fine, to my surprise!

I never had such problems with my 1DX though, no matter how cold it was. Ever!

Upvote 0