Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Understood. Ultimately, it always comes down to personal preference.
It did take me quite a long time to set it up (I still think I can set it up even better), but it felt right in the hands from the first time, better than the 6D II.
I find it more responsive than the Sony, which wakes up slower from standby and there is a slight lag with the controls that is absent on the R. The touch screen is just easy to use, these are just some things that don't show at all in the spec sheets.
While I do prefer the OVF as well, I just can't be confident about getting the focus and there are some RF lenses which represent good value, like the 24-105L or the 35/1.8, and the list will keep growing but yes I definitely think it is geared more towards people who like f/1.2 primes or f/2 zooms (or f/2.8 holy trinity zooms with image stabilisation) while the Sony is best at keeping everything as compact as possible.

Such a tired desire. It's even worse than "Who cares?"

BI_Zoolander_imdb.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
They're masters of segmentation but for potential customers it's quite demeaning. "We know the one feature that you want, but you're going to have to pay for the next tier up to get it. Because we're in charge."

Imagine if cameras were like cars, wherein you picked your base platform and then specified sensor, software features and connectivity modules. The price might be higher but at least it was due to *your* choices.
sure .. if you want a camera where the buy-in is over 10K I'm sure they could do it.

Upvote 0
I'll add, just to clarify. I really don't feel any ill will to the man. No one deserves that. I just can't handle tone changes and loud things.
Same here. I think the emotions and expressions help Jared earn more subscribers but I can't handle it either. There's sometimes useful information in his channel as it gets pre-production and pre-release gear, but I can't watch him all the time.

The latest unboxing video of the R5 and R6 was completely useless though as it wasn't followed by any actual shooting (at least in the studio) and image analysis. Although in general Jared doesn't go deep into technicalities and scientific-like image comparison, and maybe it's good for him as he simply doesn't understand those things. TonyN, for example, doesn't understand and still talks which results in disastrous profanation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It will work as long as the camera knows the focal length of the lens. If the third party lens has electronics, then it reports that focal length to the camera. The question is: Do MF lenses with no electronics work with IBIS in a canon camera? In the case of Olympus, there is the ability to manually enter the focal length of the non-electronic lens into the camera for the sake of IBIS precision. Does the Canon have that feature? That remains to be seen, however, even without entering that focal length into my Olympus, the IBIS still works well. It is most important with longer focal lengths, in my opinion. My Tamron VC lens reports to my R. The camera knows which lens is mounted. I see no reason why a non-VC lens wouldn't.
it's alot more than that. the camera also knows the image circle size that the lens projects, at all focals if it's a zoom. the camera also knows the vignetting and CA qualities as well. there was a ton of patent work done on this .. and it's surprising the level of detail it seems the RF cameras know about the lenses.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
it's alot more than that. the camera also knows the image circle size that the lens projects, at all focals if it's a zoom. the camera also knows the vignetting and CA qualities as well. there was a ton of patent work done on this .. and it's surprising the level of detail it seems the RF cameras know about the lenses.
True, though I doubt the RF cameras know anything at all about the image circle of a 50 year old non-electronic Takumar. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I can't decide whether it's arrogance or immaturity that makes people think that Canon (or anyone else) is obligated to build them their own perfect camera, but entitlement is a tiresome, irritating and depressingly pervasive, personality trait.

It's neither arrogance or immaturity, it's frustration.

They're not obligated to build the perfect camera but if they want to continue to sell cameras in a shrinking market with sharper competition then they need to address the specific requirements of discerning users.

I'm still using a 1DX and 1DS3 because Canon have failed to produce anything compelling enough for me to buy in the past nine years. Looks like that will continue for another generation.

If Canon or anyone else wants our money they have to damn well earn it. That's not entitlement, that's the market.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
It's neither arrogance or immaturity, it's frustration.

They're not obligated to build the perfect camera but if they want to continue to sell cameras in a shrinking market with sharper competition then they need to address the specific requirements of discerning users.

I'm still using a 1DX and 1DS3 because Canon have failed to produce anything compelling enough for me to buy in the past nine years. Looks like that will continue for another generation.

If Canon or anyone else wants our money they have to damn well earn it. That's not entitlement, that's the market.
Based on the current backlog of orders for the new cameras, it appears the market has spoken.

Obviously these cameras won't suit everybody's needs, but they seem to hit the sweet spot for many photographers.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Such a tired desire. It's even worse than "Who cares?"
I think plenty of people, that was a core reason to switch to mirrorless in the first place.
Some might not be happy about a 28-70mm f/2 or 50mm f/1.2 being significantly bigger and heavier than the 24-70mm f/2.8 50mm f/1.2 lenses that they've used before (but they are superior, as they should be)
The RF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens is unique in the RF world, because it is also significantly lighter and smaller while being even sharper, and some people are willing to pay for that privilege (even if it comes as an external zoom with a longer throw).
There will be more small lenses of course, but for people specifically looking for that, the RF system might not be the best right now.

A lot of people intend to mount these small cameras on gimbals to use for video, and again, the smaller, lighter, more balanced (maybe not bad to have more weight towards the back), the better.

Also, IBIS is big thing with these bodies and RF glass is the best choice for it, but they still need more native lenses, although they are addressing that in a rather timely manner, they have certainly caught up with specs in the mid-range category, they are only missing the 'true' flagship mirrorless camera and a high-megapixel model, which are under development.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The biggest negative to me seems to be battery life.

I expect the same to hold true for the R5 and R6 and the battery life to be good enough with the newer battery, of course video will probably drain it faster.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I'd take the Canon 85 1.2 over the "mirrorless" Nikkon 1.8 even if it were twice as large. What a joke of a lens. I'm taking pictures not losing weight. Haha

For me it depends on what I am shooting. Even with a R5 and 100-500 in my future, i could still see me taking the Z6 and 1.8 primes on holiday. It is like a little point and shoot you use when your big camera is too much.

Upvote 0
It really sounds like you need a dedicated video camera and not a hybrid stills/video camera. Too many compromises in the latter.
Is there a 4k60 unlimited camcorder (preferably 10bit 422 HLG HEVC to dual SD cards) with sensor at least micro43 size priced below $3k that I don't know about?

Upvote 0
Sounds Like the G9 is perfect for you, and if it works for you, then there’s no need to go to fullframe with the better video quality. Some people like that matrix look on the Panasonic , I just don’t like my videos looking like they’re all shot with a matrix LUTs
The G9/GH5 would be perfect if it had Dual Pixel AF or Sony PDAF performance and officially supported unlimited recording without me having to hack it on US/Asia 1.2 firmware to have unlimited 4K60 recording. 10bit 422 HLG HEVC internally at 4K60 would be a nice upgrade too.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I think one clarification is missing from Canon: how well does the IBIS work with EF lenses? (or fully manual lenses, but let's not go into that, they want to sell Canon lenses primarily)

They have given stabilisation ratings for all the RF lenses (the f/11 DO RF-mount primes will not work in conjunction with IBIS due to technical reasons, so only providing 5 or 4 stops in lens stabilisation)
Will they provide the same data for their EF lenses?
This is what I'm wondering about. The difference in compensation available is apparently based on the image circle covered. So the IBIS must somehow detect the lens image circle covered and move in a narrower circle. Not sure how this will work with Canon EF lenses, none Canon EF fit lenses and say manual lenses, which may be adapted from other mounts.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I'd take the Canon 85 1.2 over the "mirrorless" Nikkon 1.8 even if it were twice as large. What a joke of a lens. I'm taking pictures not losing weight. Haha

Why would be a joke of a lens? It's a very good lens and lightweight. For most of the situations 1.8 is more than enough aperture and weight saving can be very valuable when traveling light(er). Nikon will have a brighter version too just like they will have an 50 1.2 soon.

Canon also made a joke lens recently, the 85 F2.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But an easily overcome negative by carrying an extra battery or two.
People complained about the R battery life too. I am sure it affects some people. On 7/17 I shot 649 full size raw photos out on the lake with a single battery and it still shows 2/3 full. I didn't turn the camera off the whole time (two hours). So for me, battery life is not an issue at all.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Is there a 4k60 unlimited camcorder (preferably 10bit 422 HLG HEVC to dual SD cards) with sensor at least micro43 size priced below $3k that I don't know about?
Maybe not, but you get what you pay for. It seems you want a top spec video camera but don't want to pay for it. If I were a pro videographer and filmed 6 hours a day I would invest in the proper tools for my livelihood. Or else make due with the limitations the current less expensive equipment has.

I myself would love to have a 400 BHP sportscar with carbon ceramic brakes, leather interior, sat nav and top stereo for under $30K. But that ain't happening.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
People complained about the R battery life too. I am sure it affects some people. On 7/17 I shot 649 full size raw photos out on the lake with a single battery and it still shows 2/3 full. I didn't turn the camera off the whole time (two hours). So for me, battery life is not an issue at all.
What lens were you using? I get only a few hundred shots from my 5DIV attached to a telephoto lens.

Upvote 0