Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Maybe it's composing shots with battery draining IS?

The IS does drain the battery, especially the IS in the heavy long lenses. I think there's even a warning about it somewhere in the Canon manual(s). The IS starts working when you half-press the shutter button and stops shortly after you release it.
So composing with the IS on should be avoided, but if you need to focus and shoot, there's no choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It doesn't have IS? I get terrible battery life on every camera of every make I have! Maybe it's composing shots with battery draining IS?
No. No IS. I used to get a whole lot of shots from my 5D Mark III with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. I used it at a fashion show and got over 1800 shots before having to switch out the battery. That's with me chimping all the time.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No. No IS. I used to get a whole lot of shots from my 5D Mark III with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. I used it at a fashion show and got over 1800 shots before having to switch out the battery. That's with me chimping all the time.
The 5DIII has much better battery life than then 5DIV (well, mine did and I've heard the same from others here).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
you get what you pay for. It seems you want a top spec video camera but don't want to pay for it.

I just want 2017-grade GH5 or 2018-grade Panasonic G9 (incl official unlimited recording) features but with a Canon or Sony autofocus technology. You can buy a second hand GH5/G9 at sub-$700 now. It's been 3 and a half years now since the Panasonic GH5 came out, is it really too much to ask for Canon and Sony to match the features on one of their 2020-grade APS-C or Full Frame camera? And to expect that Canon/Sony might match the features at less than 400% the current resale price of a GH5/G9 camera?

By matching features, I might expect those slightly exceeded, that is not just 8bit 4:2:0 H264 when doing unlimited "uncropped" 4K60, but actually able to do the unlimited 4K60 in 10bit 4:2:2 to HLG HDR format YouTube-ready in HEVC H265.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I have to chuckle when I hear people saying they want the better body build of the R5. While I'm sure that in fact it is somewhat sturdier, I would be less heartbroken dropping an R6 off a tall tripod onto rocks then an R5. The R6 would cost less to replace if the drop resulted in a totaled body. Weather Sealing is more debatable, more understandable, for those who really take their gear out in inclement conditions. But again, because weather sealing only goes so far, the idea of being able to save $1,500 on a body that might end up completely soaked or even dropped in water, seems to offset the argument about paying more for the R5 because of body strength. There might be a lot of reasons to buy the R5, but for most event and portrait photographers, body build doesn't seem to be a very big factor.

Maybe I am overestimating how well-built the R6 actually is. And, again, I'm sure that the R5 is put together a little more in mind with landscape and wildlife situations. But I sure wouldn't make my decision based solely on which camera is built better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I just want 2017-grade GH5 or 2018-grade Panasonic G9 (incl official unlimited recording) features but with a Canon or Sony autofocus technology. You can buy a second hand GH5/G9 at sub-$700 now. It's been 3 and a half years now since the Panasonic GH5 came out, is it really too much to ask for Canon and Sony to match the features on one of their 2020-grade APS-C or Full Frame camera? And to expect that Canon/Sony might match the features at less than 400% the current resale price of a GH5 camera?
It depends on if you appreciate what you are asking for really. A ff sensor returning the same video specs as a sensor one quarter the size is not a small thing, readout speeds have to be twice as fast at a minimum, heat mitigation has to be four times better, etc etc. So when you ask for something 'as good' what you are actually asking for is something at least two to four times better.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
The 5DIII has much better battery life than then 5DIV (well, mine did and I've heard the same from others here).
Shot a music festival last year, gripped 5D4 and 200 F2 and a gripped EOSR with RF85 F1.2
Just over 1600 shots on both but had to swap batteries out on the 5D4 after about 900 shots
Still life in the R's batteries a few days later

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have to chuckle when I hear people saying they want the better body build of the R5. While I'm sure that in fact it is somewhat sturdier, I would be less heartbroken dropping an R6 off a tall tripod onto rocks then an R5. The R6 would cost less to replace if the drop resulted in a totaled body. Weather Sealing is more debatable, more understandable, for those who really take their gear out in inclement conditions. But again, because weather ceiling only goes so far, the idea of being able to save $1,500 on a body that might end up completely soaked or even dropped in water, seems to offset the argument about paying more for the R5 because of body strength. There might be a lot of reasons to buy the R5, but for most event and portrait photographers, body build doesn't seem to be a very big factor.

Maybe I am overestimating how well-built the R6 actually is. And, again, I'm sure that the R5 is put together a little more in mind with landscape and wildlife situations. But I sure wouldn't make my decision based solely on which camera is built better.
Polycarbonate shelled bodies are very durable! The cheaper bodies take a hell of a lot of abuse not least of which is because they have so much less mass.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I have to chuckle when I hear people saying they want the better body build of the R5. While I'm sure that in fact it is somewhat sturdier, I would be less heartbroken dropping an R6 off a tall tripod onto rocks then an R5. The R6 would cost less to replace if the drop resulted in a totaled body. Weather Sealing is more debatable, more understandable, for those who really take their gear out in inclement conditions. But again, because weather sealing only goes so far, the idea of being able to save $1,500 on a body that might end up completely soaked or even dropped in water, seems to offset the argument about paying more for the R5 because of body strength. There might be a lot of reasons to buy the R5, but for most event and portrait photographers, body build doesn't seem to be a very big factor.

There is a wee bit more to it than the cost. Yes financially if you drop a £4000 camera vs a £2500 is is more of a big deal. But there is the weather sealing to take into account too. The 5 series bodies and then 1 bodies will hold up in a tropical downpour where you 'need' to get the shot. And if the R5 holds up as well as my 5DII has, it'll get dozens of chips out of it and still cheep shooting. If I am on day 4 out in the highlands after some elusive animal(probably a wild cat), I don't want a drop of my camera to be the end of it. Even if the back LCD is cracked and there is a good dent in the body, I have some higher chance I can get the shot or that if I drop it in the river the card area was sealed enough to protect the data.

It depends where you are taking your camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just want 2017-grade GH5 or 2018-grade Panasonic G9 (incl official unlimited recording) features but with a Canon or Sony autofocus technology. You can buy a second hand GH5/G9 at sub-$700 now. It's been 3 and a half years now since the Panasonic GH5 came out, is it really too much to ask for Canon and Sony to match the features on one of their 2020-grade APS-C or Full Frame camera? And to expect that Canon/Sony might match the features at less than 400% the current resale price of a GH5/G9 camera?

By matching features, I might expect those slightly exceeded, that is not just 8bit 4:2:0 H264 when doing unlimited "uncropped" 4K60, but actually able to do the unlimited 4K60 in 10bit 4:2:2 to HLG HDR format YouTube-ready in HEVC H265.
Yup. I think that is too much to ask. Comparing cameras in completely different class categories. Then comparing second hand to new. Does not make sense to me.

Upvote 0
It depends on if you appreciate what you are asking for really. A ff sensor returning the same video specs as a sensor one quarter the size is not a small thing, readout speeds have to be twice as fast at a minimum, heat mitigation has to be four times better, etc etc. So when you ask for something 'as good' what you are actually asking for is something at least two to four times better.

I understand APS-C and Full Frame are much more challenging than micro43. But it's been soon 4 years since the Panasonic GH5 was announced. That's nearly 3 whole Moore's law cycles, improvements in processor manufacturing/performance, improvements to sensors, I expected at least for APS-C it should have been possible by now for Sony/Canon/Fuji to match what Panasonic did early 2017. Fuji gets closer but isn't quite there yet, the X-T4 has limitations that for me make it unusable. Sony's a6600 totally lacking. Canon M50, nope. By now they should at least match "uncropped" unlimited full frame 4K60 too, without overheating.

Upvote 0
Yup. I think that is too much to ask. Comparing cameras in completely different class categories. Then comparing second hand to new. Does not make sense to me.
I don't think it's fair to compare $1999 retail price in January 2017 of GH5 with $2499 of the R6 in August 2020, the GH5 regularly sells sub $1300 new retail, even $999 is possible. And I believe when a product is older and broadly available on the second hand market, that second hand price should be considered too when comparing the value of a product vs another.

Upvote 0
I agree the R system seems to have a fantastic foundation, but the questions are how much Canon is going to charge for it, and what the competition is offering. Would be great if Sigma and Tamron start offering RF mount lenses, and if Samyang keep releasing lenses like their RF 85mm f/1.4 AF, but we will have to see what happens.

As for an EOS R being a solid upgrade for me over my 6D II, I'm far from convinced about that. Yes it would give me a newer sensor, but I'd get lesser battery life, lower FPS when tracking and, most importantly to me, have to deal with an EVF introducing latency into what I'm seeing (not to mention I spend too much time looking at screens as it is!). Plus the current asking price for an EOS R plus control ring adapter is around A$3000, which is almost 50% more than I paid for my 6D II. And as I alluded to in my earlier post, there is the price of the RF lenses too consider too. All in all, I'm not at all sure I'd be happy if I spent money on an R.

I have both the EOS R and the 6D2 and it's a world of difference. The images are much much better. The focusing is much better. The camera UI is snappier. The video on the 6D2 was terrible with horrible AF (not even DPAF). The AI servo may be slower but the hit rate was much lower on the 6D2. I felt the hit rate was around 60% on the 6D2 versus 90% on the EOS R. The 6D2 does feel faster while shooting but in the end, it's the end product that matters and the images and videos from the EOS R soundly beat the 6D2.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I don't think it's fair to compare $1999 retail price in January 2017 of GH5 with $2499 of the R6 in August 2020, the GH5 regularly sells sub $1300 new retail, even $999 is possible. And I believe when a product is older and broadly available on the second hand market, that second hand price should be considered too when comparing the value of a product vs another.
It might help if you gave examples of products that have exceeded your expectations in this regard.

Jack

Upvote 0

With you there. I'm not a pro wildlife photographer so maybe their needs are different, but my current 70D hasn't failed and I treat it like a tool not a baby.

I get the need to have the best available and it's cool to say "hey I have a magnesium weatherproof body" but how many of us actually need that?

Upvote 0
I have both the EOS R and the 6D2 and it's a world of difference. The images are much much better. The focusing is much better. The camera UI is snappier. The video on the 6D2 was terrible with horrible AF (not even DPAF). The AI servo may be slower but the hit rate was much lower on the 6D2. I felt the hit rate was around 60% on the 6D2 versus 90% on the EOS R. The 6D2 does feel faster while shooting but in the end, it's the end product that matters and the images and videos from the EOS R soundly beat the 6D2.

The AF system is the entire reason I am switching to mirrorless. A DSLR cannot compete with DPAF, period. And I'm getting tired of shots getting ruined because of an inferior AF system.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I understand APS-C and Full Frame are much more challenging than micro43. But it's been soon 4 years since the Panasonic GH5 was announced. That's nearly 3 whole Moore's law cycles, improvements in processor manufacturing/performance, improvements to sensors, I expected at least for APS-C it should have been possible by now for Sony/Canon/Fuji to match what Panasonic did early 2017. Fuji gets closer but isn't quite there yet, the X-T4 has limitations that for me make it unusable. Sony's a6600 totally lacking. Canon M50, nope. By now they should at least match "uncropped" unlimited full frame 4K60 too, without overheating.
So buy something else I don't give a damn. My point was you are not asking for something equal, you are asking for something with two to four times the ability PLUS AF. I could just as easily say Canon has been making class leading Live View AF to the point that it has changed the game for years, why can't Panasonic given their much smaller sensors?

And how you can moan about the price of a brand new camera with a ff sensor in relation tof our year old secondhand cameras with M4/3 sensors makes you seem childish. get real, if Canon don't make a camera you need for the price you can pay buy another make, if nobody makes a camera to suit your vision then I suspect that is you not the camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The AF system is the entire reason I am switching to mirrorless. A DSLR cannot compete with DPAF, period. And I'm getting tired of shots getting ruined because of an inferior AF system.
I'd wager a skilled user with a DSLR would get many more keepers than a less skilled user with MILC...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0