There is another RF mount camera coming in 2020 [CR2]

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
Could it be an RF mount Cine camera? Hmmm, Canon has a line of EF-mount Cine lenses to go with their EF-mount Cine cameras. making an RF-mount Cine camera before they have RF Cine lenses seems weird, unless they expect users to adapt EF glass.

I think it’s safe to expect an 8K Cine camera soon. When Apple showcased the Mac Pro, they used an 8K footage from an unreleased Canon Cine camera.
Exactly what I was thinking. There's no point in putting an RF mount on a video camera that has a Super 35 sensor. Getting the 8K abilities of the R5 into a video camera seems the only reason for this move. Still, so far the video performance of the RF lenses is not up to snuff -- I have the 28-70mm F2 and, while the images are gorgeous, it breathes on focus pulls and lengthens when zooming (neither is good for video). Canon seems to think there's no optical downside of adapting EF lenses to the RF cameras but I'm hoping the introduction of an RF mount video camera signals some very nice RF Cine lenses are coming.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
There is no difference at all in performance with or without an adapter for autofocus canon lenses (in some cases with an adapter on RF is actually faster than native EF) - so there definitely wont be a difference with manual focus cine lenses. I see no reason why adapting would be a problem for anyone and I am sure Canon will one day implement native RF lenses. So, I see no reason why this cant happen today.
Not to mention that most (or all?) of those Canon CN-E lenses are manual focus.

Upvote 0
Better be the C100 III (or rather R100?).

Take the C100 body, shrink it down slightly (or leave as is honestly), RF mount, IBIS, touch LCD, full sensor DPAF II, dual UHS-II slots - change nothing else.

12mp S35 sensor with R5 video specs minus the 8k/raw. If you really wanted to show us love you could throw in an SDI port.

Then take my money.

And please:
  • Keep the integrated C100 flippy screen that can be closed. I can shoot an 8 hour wedding on 2 batteries because I can disable it easily. Meanwhile my C200 eats through batteries because there's no way to disable the screen (despite requesting this feature in firmware ad nauseam). The boot time of Cinema cams is much too long to turn them off in a spontaneous documentary environment.
  • Keep the ND filters manually geared. It's actually quicker to change on the go than the C200/C300/C500's electronically changed NDs
  • Keep audio/XLR inputs the same and in the handle. Would be great if my C100 I & II handles could work on this new body, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Half of this forum, just as they read the post title...

...and then immediately after seeing this is not about an next-gen 7D RF mount crop body:

- A

Oh, thank you all. I was really laughing just to myself with that post, but after a jillion likes: I feel seen.

You made my day.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Didn't we already see this wiz bang thing already on this site, say 6 months ago? It was a cube looking device that was being shown? I'll do some digging and find it.

It sure sounds like it might be one of these designs. Imagine 8k on an actual video camera unit, that is made for shooting video! No overheating!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0