Full-resolution sample images from the EOS R5, EOS R6, and the new lenses

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
For those that don't read the fred miranda forums as soon as these images were posted they decided most of them were crap. Not because of the hardware--though they weren't big fans of the 600/800mm lenses--but because they thought there were tons of photographer errors. To the point that they wondered if Canon specifically hired people to take the worst photos possible for samples.

Just curious what the CR crowd evaluation is.

When I saw them I felt like they could have been taken by any modern camera and any decent photographer.....so Canon does not hire world class photographers to shoot their sample footage...IMO it does not matter, few people are world class photographers anyway. I just enjoyed the pictures for what they were...nice pictures. All modern cameras are within a few degrees of each other and being in the right place at the right time to capture a moment that will never occur again is way more important than pixel peeping specs; it is just pictures, people take this stuff way too seriously sometimes.

To me the ecosystem, and supporting features such as redundant card slots, ergonomics, menu system, etc is way more important than the DR and ISO performance. No client is going to care what your camera's DR or ISO performance is...they will care if you miss a shot due to ergonomics or lose their footage because your memory card got corrupted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
For those that don't read the fred miranda forums as soon as these images were posted they decided most of them were crap. Not because of the hardware--though they weren't big fans of the 600/800mm lenses--but because they thought there were tons of photographer errors. To the point that they wondered if Canon specifically hired people to take the worst photos possible for samples.

Just curious what the CR crowd evaluation is.

I'm a rube, but of the photos I reviewed the only disappointment I found was that the 800mm ape example was soft around the eyes - but that probably isn't the lens because his teeth are more what I would hope for.

Missed focus?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I really don’t like the lack of high ISO R5 images in this batch myself. Really looking forward to real reviews. Either way I’m very excited to purchase this camera early next year when the prices come down.

I noted the same thing, but my pre-order is still refreshing in the other tab..

backordered...

backordered...

backordered...

backordered...

backordered...

backordered...

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

And no high ISO examples of the R5. I was hoping there would be...

That is really off putting when it comes to the R5. But I think they are saying you should buy the lesser built R6 if you want high ISO. Honestly, if they had just made the R5 and R6 have the same body it would be a lot easier for people to pick the tool for the situation and not try to to make the R6 a lesser body.. especially when sports and wildlife folks might be more interested in the higher ISO.

Upvote 0
I'm a rube, but of the photos I reviewed the only disappointment I found was that the 800mm ape example was soft around the eyes - but that probably isn't the lens because his teeth are more what I would hope for.

Missed focus?

Almost looks like motion. Nothing in that picture is really razor sharp....

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Missed focus?

It's shot with an R so of course it's out of focus--no Animal Eye AF available ;)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Upvote 0
When I saw them I felt like they could have been taken by any modern camera and any decent photographer.....so Canon does not hire world class photographers to shoot their sample footage...IMO it does not matter, few people are world class photographers anyway. I just enjoyed the pictures for what they were...nice pictures. All modern cameras are within a few degrees of each other and being in the right place at the right time to capture a moment that will never occur again is way more important than pixel peeping specs; it is just pictures, people take this stuff way too seriously sometimes.

To me the ecosystem, and supporting features such as redundant card slots, ergonomics, menu system, etc is way more important than the DR and ISO performance. No client is going to care what your camera's DR or ISO performance is...they will care if you miss a shot due to ergonomics or lose their footage because your memory card got corrupted.
Canon has the “Ambassadors” running around taking photos. You would think they could use some of those pro images in promotional material. Give me a loaner and I will be happy to provide images.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm impressed. Also a wee bit overjoyed. Walking through the forests up here in northern Washington that is going to come in very handy. It's quite often that anything over 3200 out of my R or 5D4 is salvageable, but not anything worth raving about.
I'm sure its slightly better than the 5DIV but I'd be careful to get your hopes up too much. In good lighting high ISO can look good but in bad lighting not so good. I've the 1DX III which (who knows really) may be even better than the 5DR but high ISO still looks high ISO even if it is better than some other camera. I'm sure your will really enjoy the 5DR but don't get your hopes too high on ISO performance. It will be visually marginal. The camera will be great for many other reasons.
Those samples from the Canon Website are no advert for the camera. A camera phone would be as good.
I'm sure there will be much better samples from their explorers of light.

Upvote 0