Sep 9, 2015
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The hi-speed fps given by Canon has always been ”in optimal conditions only” (eg. battery full, no anti-flicker, fast shutter speed, max aperture, etc.) Seems they’re now just quantifying more precisely what you should expect in various non-optimal circumstances.
Yeah, it says this in all the manuals I just browsed through. I do believe this camera will be very sensitive to battery life, though. I personally want to be able to manually turn off IBIS and just use lens IS...but it appears that feature may not be available either - this could be a huge problem. Oh, and apparently IS is always engaged when the camera is on? Need to get this camera in my hands and find out what the truth is.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it says this in all the manuals I just browsed through. I do believe this camera will be very sensitive to battery life, though. I personally want to be able to manually turn off IBIS and just use lens IS...but it appears that feature may not be available either - this could be a huge problem. Oh, and apparently IS is always engaged when the camera is on? Need to get this camera in my hands and find out what the truth is.

No need to — IBIS and IS go on and off together, no exceptions. And they stay on while the camera is powered. R users are already familiar with this as IS runs full time. Turning the camera off and on as you lower and raise the camera will become second nature after a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Interesting to note, looking at full specs, 14-bit is limited to 8 FPS, above that goes to 13-bit, and I believe it's safe to assume silent shooting is 12-bit. It says, when setting the camera to "high+" it is immediately 13-bit.

Not a real issue above ISO 100, since I'm sure the dynamic range very quickly falls below the limit of 13-bit around ISO 800 like most cameras, and then even faster falls below 12-bit. I don't see that as an issue to me as most of my action where I'd need 12 FPS is around or above ISO 800, but I'll probably just default to 8 FPS for general shooting, and switch to high+ if the action warrants it. 8 FPS is still faster than the 5D mark IV, so that's a plus to me, and I surely can't complain about having the option to do 12 or 20 fps.

Also, anti-flicker is limited to 6.2 fps, which isn't far off the 5D Mark IV's 6.6 fps with anti-flicker, so this will also probably be another setting I'm more intentional with as well. This on its own probably means I'll still use my 1DX2 as a primary camera for night sports, since it can anti-flicker at 10-ish fps, and 10 fps is kinda my floor for sports.

Overall though this has all solidified my choice to replace my 5D mark III with the R5, since even in worst conditions it's a far improvement in all fields over my 5D mark III.

That said, I do hope that the EOS-R1 they eventually release can match 14-bit at 16 FPS. I also hope an R1 has the shutter timing fine-tuning that the A9II has, so that it could anti-flicker at 20 fps, which would be totally killer. If Canon could add shutter timing fine-tuning to the R5 in a firmware update at some point, that would also make me super, super happy.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The hi-speed fps given by Canon has always been ”in optimal conditions only” (eg. battery full, no anti-flicker, fast shutter speed, max aperture, etc.) Seems they’re now just quantifying more precisely what you should expect in various non-optimal circumstances.
Yeah. What’s up with the EF400/2.8 II being unsupported @12 FPS though? is a very fast focusing lens. :(

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No need to — IBIS and IS go on and off together, no exceptions. And they stay on while the camera is powered. R users are already familiar with this as IS runs full time. Turning the camera off and on as you lower and raise the camera will become second nature after a while.
++++ Turning the camera off and on as you lower and raise the camera will become second nature after a while.

Not looking forward to it. At all. I switch my 5D4s off never. I remove batteries for a recharge.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
++++ Turning the camera off and on as you lower and raise the camera will become second nature after a while.

Not looking forward to it. At all. I switch my 5D4s off never. I remove batteries for a recharge.

I don't turn my RP off either and I still get well over 1000 pictures in 4 hours when using an IS lens. But when going out to shoot I do bring 3 spare batteries.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The aperture motor is likely underpowered. One of the many asterisks with high fps shooting is that some lenses need to be wide open.
I read it: all compatible lenses have to be used wide open in order to unlock the 12 FPS shooting
I don't turn my RP off either and I still get well over 1000 pictures in 4 hours when using an IS lens. But when going out to shoot I do bring 3 spare batteries.
pheeeew... thank you. Not looking forward to flicking on and of a pair of cameras like hundred times during the day. Thought that some pros would be definitely unhappy. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I read it: all lenses have to be

pheeeew... thank you. Not looking forward to flicking on and of a pair of cameras like hundred times during the day. Thought that some pros would be definitely unhappy. :)

I do have it set to auto-off after a minute, so the "press button while raising it up" is a good habit to develop either way.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2020
I've cancelled my R5 pre order. Too much ambiguity around how my EF 600 f4 mk 2 will perform with the mk 3 EF extenders atm. I've no concerns about the bare lens but the 1.4x is a permanent fixture on it plus EVF lag. The Northrups test of it using a mk1 500mm f4 plus 2x extender (not sure which mark of extender) just muddies the water as it's an unsupported lens plus a TC of unknown age. They also didn't realise you can move the eye autofocus with the toggle controller so it makes me wonder if they've read the manual:unsure:

Upvote 0

Initially I didn't do it to save battery life, I did it out of OCD that the camera was obviously still "running" when I held it to my side between shots. So it's more like turning off the water faucet while you're brushing your teeth – not necessary but feels like the right thing to do :)

Upvote 0
I do have it set to auto-off after a minute, so the "press button while raising it up" is a good habit to develop either way.

That works as long as you don't need more than a minute to find and/or set up your shot while using the EVF – might be more of a landscape shooter thing. I got tired of the EVF shutting off while I was looking through it because I hadn't pressed a button in 60 seconds.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That works as long as you don't need more than a minute to find and/or set up your shot while using the EVF – might be more of a landscape shooter thing. I got tired of the EVF shutting off while I was looking through it because I hadn't pressed a button in 60 seconds.

If you're consistent about having the camera off whenever you don't actually have it up to your face, you can disable the timed shutoff.

Upvote 0
I've cancelled my R5 pre order. Too much ambiguity around how my EF 600 f4 mk 2 will perform with the mk 3 EF extenders atm. I've no concerns about the bare lens but the 1.4x is a permanent fixture on it plus EVF lag. The Northrups test of it using a mk1 500mm f4 plus 2x extender (not sure which mark of extender) just muddies the water as it's an unsupported lens plus a TC of unknown age. They also didn't realise you can move the eye autofocus with the toggle controller so it makes me wonder if they've read the manual:unsure:
I thought their video was awful , they contradict each other , neither of them panned the birds properly , it was like they wanted to find faults .

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
If you're consistent about having the camera off whenever you don't actually have it up to your face, you can disable the timed shutoff.
This would be easier to remember to do if Canon put the on/off switch on the right side by the shutter, like Nikon, Sony, Panasonic...
Then it becomes simple muscle memory.
I know there are fans of both placement, this just happens to be something that I prefer to do one handed.

Upvote 0

I have everything under Power Saving set to 5 minutes, which seems to work for me. I was responding to the person proposing the 1 minute auto shutoff as a solution to not having to do it manually — that might work for a lot of shooters, but not all.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This would be easier to remember to do if Canon put the on/off switch on the right side by the shutter, like Nikon, Sony, Panasonic...
Then it becomes simple muscle memory.
I know there are fans of both placement, this just happens to be something that I prefer to do one handed.

THat's probably going to be my major adaptation to this camera. My Canons (thus far) all have the switch on the right hand side, and nothing whatsoever on the left. It seems to me to be a better idea to put less-frequently used stuff on the left. Of course they might well think they are doing exactly that, expecting people to leave their cameras on--which was probably a good idea for SLRs, but it's less so for mirrorless.

Upvote 0