Taking photos with the R5 causing overheating when switching to video

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The ability of people to completely condemn a camera that they have never even held in their hands let alone used based on nothing but what they've read on the internet is truly bewildering to me. This is what 30 day return policies are for.

This is the way people live their lives these days. Internet. Social media. Influencers.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
So... assuming he was using 4k 30p HQ (8k oversample)??? Would have been nice if he elaborated what he was shooting before hand, if any of the other modes worked, or if he switched to camera mode and it continued to work fine.

I don't mind people reporting the bad... but would like to get some context.

He was too busy writing his next "Sony is perfect" post.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The man is after clickbait, and he is doing a very good job of it. Relax, your camera will be fine but the truth is if you don't love it you can return it, but you'll love it! Stop listening to people like Gerald and make your own decision when you have your own camera....

DPReview are saying completely contradictory stuff to this and whilst I don't trust them an inch I'd say if there was a problem they would be highlighting it.

Adult enters the chat...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

And the entire gist of the feed is Sony = flawless, Canon = WTF were they thinking Canon doomed.

When my gear arrives I'll be the judge. Stay calm and party on. I have more faith in Canon than to release a camera that becomes a ticking time bomb after 30-40 shots in an hour. That's not even one trip through the buffer.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Not a fan of Tony & Chelsea, but in one of their recent videos, they also found that after shooting for an hour the video recording time available was drastically reduced (down to 2 minutes). Not being able to shoot stills for an extended period and then switch to video is a real bummer!

Sony and Chelsea? Say it isn't so.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I always love coming here and hearing all the different people talking at each other about a camera that they haven't used yet. One group says it will be the greatest thing ever and the next group says it will be the biggest flop in the history of cameras. I would suggest waiting until you have a chance to test it yourself before you buy it. Early adopters are just unpaid beta testers. There will be firmware updates to address some issues and some there won't be.
Each person has a different set of criteria under which this camera will either perform the job you want it to or it won't.

Its like for me I keep seeing people talking about bird photography or landscape work or worse video. I couldn't give a rip if this is the greatest camera for those activities. Its not what I shoot. I'm a fine art photographer and when I'm shooting and I take more then 5 or 10 shots in an entire day something is really wrong. To me resolution is what I want. Currently I have (2) 5DS R's and for what I do in a very controlled environment they work great. So I'll wait for a few months and then rent one to test. And decide then. But I certainly won't rely on someone from Youtube who gets paid by how many views and click throughs they get for information on a tool I use to make money.

You forgot the third group - wait until I receive MY camera and see if it works for what I like to do.

That's the group I prefer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Maybe he's related to Sony Northrup. I mean Tony. Tony Northrup. Yeah.

To be fair, their video about shooting birds in flight with the R5 seemed very balanced to me and in fact quite enthusiastic about the R5.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I was a fan of Gerald Undone (Even paid to be a member on you tube) but the way he has handled this R5/A7 thing turned me right off.
  1. "More bad news"
  2. 12MP vs 45MP instagram BS.
Then to drop the gushing review of the A7 on the day of the announcement from Sony after NOT completing a review of the Canon that I can only assume he had for the same time as the Sony was all I could take. Why would anyone really looking at the R5 trust his opinion after that?

I am no tin foil hat nut job but it does seem odd that none of the big youtube players have dropped a full review of the R5 yet and there are full reviews of the Sony on announcement day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
First, I don't really understand pre-ordering. I refuse to pay the early adopter's fee and I also don't believe in ordering until something has been out for six months or so and you can sort through all the pluses and minuses. (I understand it a little better with something like the 1Dx where you pretty much know exactly what you are going to be getting, but a brand new first of its kind model -- don't understand that.)

Second, I really don't understand people who pre-order and then get buyer's remorse, panic and cancel their orders. Who commits to spending $4,000 without knowing something is exactly what they want, rather than simply what they hope it will be?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I...it does seem odd that none of the big youtube players have dropped a full review of the R5 yet and there are full review of the Sony on announcement day.

I didn't even know there were big YouTube players. Most seem more like entertainers than serious reviewers.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I didn't even know there were big YouTube players. Most seem more like entertainers than serious reviewers.
Your right of course but it nice to see "some" of the new features in action. For in depth reviews I tend to lean towards the-digital-picture, Ken Rockwell etc... I am always an early adopter of new gear because testing is what I do as a day job and I cannot help but test everything I buy.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
To be fair, their video about shooting birds in flight with the R5 seemed very balanced to me and in fact quite enthusiastic about the R5.

I can't even watch him. He makes my skin crawl. Can't explain it. I have a hard time with Jared Polin too BECAUSE HE CAN'T STOP YELLING.

Upvote 0