Taking photos with the R5 causing overheating when switching to video

Jun 9, 2020
And the entire gist of the feed is Sony = flawless, Canon = WTF were they thinking Canon doomed.

When my gear arrives I'll be the judge. Stay calm and party on. I have more faith in Canon than to release a camera that becomes a ticking time bomb after 30-40 shots in an hour. That's not even one trip through the buffer.

i guess you missed his c300 review

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Sure @TomR the review of the C300 III is great as are a lot of his reviews.

I personally own the following items because I trusted his opinion

Atomos Ninja V
Many Godox lights
The GVM RS50

I really wanted to be wrong on this and Gerald would give the R6 and the R5 a fair shakedown. Hell he may give the best review ever but, the issue I have is when someone the is suppose to be impartial is clearly gaming the system.

The 12MP vs 45MP image comparison was really a new low for him. He admitted to gaming the compression algorithm.

I simply no longer trust that he is impartial, and anything he has to say about future Cameras will have an * in my books.

The Sony is clearly a great Camera and suits his needs.

Edited to be more accurate

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
@15:34 of his Sony Video he talks about how he knew he was gaming the results. So it is an over characterization to say he sharpened the picture (and I will clarify my early post) he does not hide that he was looking to achieve a results that validates his opinion.

That is fine if likes the Sony and it appears to be the right tool for him. I simply do not think the Sony needs to gain credibility at the expense of another capable product that is not even really in the same product segment.

Example: The BMW M3 is a bad car because it cannot carry 2500 pounds of bricks like the Ford F150.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

I was going off the Twitter feed that was cited where he supposedly overheated an R5 after taking 40 shots.. Nothing but Sony love But OMGWTFBBQ the Canon is a charcoal briquette.

For all I know he left the R5 in his locked car for a couple of hours before his ‘test’ While he blogged about the FLAWLESS A7SIII (which has also been spotted overheating BTW)...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
First, I don't really understand pre-ordering. I refuse to pay the early adopter's fee and I also don't believe in ordering until something has been out for six months or so and you can sort through all the pluses and minuses. (I understand it a little better with something like the 1Dx where you pretty much know exactly what you are going to be getting, but a brand new first of its kind model -- don't understand that.)

Second, I really don't understand people who pre-order and then get buyer's remorse, panic and cancel their orders. Who commits to spending $4,000 without knowing something is exactly what they want, rather than simply what they hope it will be?
I really don't think that many of those "canceled my order" people ordered in the first place. Just my hunch.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
I was going off the Twitter feed that was cited where he supposedly overheated an R5 after taking 40 shots.. Nothing but Sony love But OMGWTFBBQ the Canon is a charcoal briquette.

For all I know he left the R5 in his locked car for a couple of hours before his ‘test’ While he blogged about the FLAWLESS A7SIII (which has also been spotted overheating BTW)...

You seem upset that your favorite brand is now in the toaster business.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
First, I don't really understand pre-ordering. I refuse to pay the early adopter's fee and I also don't believe in ordering until something has been out for six months or so and you can sort through all the pluses and minuses. (I understand it a little better with something like the 1Dx where you pretty much know exactly what you are going to be getting, but a brand new first of its kind model -- don't understand that.)

Second, I really don't understand people who pre-order and then get buyer's remorse, panic and cancel their orders. Who commits to spending $4,000 without knowing something is exactly what they want, rather than simply what they hope it will be?

People who preorder (in my case at least) have the money to buy what they want and don’t have to wait. If you would rather wait then that’s an option too.

Why people cancel is beyond me unless they bought somewhere where it will cost them money to return. Restock fees and whatnot. I bought at B&H and have 30 days to love it or hate it at no risk. Why not?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
You seem upset that your favorite brand is now in the toaster business.

According to who? Some clown who thinks the A7SIII is “flawless?” Make me laugh more please.

I’ll use the camera the way I use all my cameras and if it causes me a problem I’ll return it and wait for further developments - firmware, whatnot. If not, I’m golden.

I prefer foot warmer BTW.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Why people cancel is beyond me unless they bought somewhere where it will cost them money to return. Restock fees and whatnot.
According to who? Some clown who thinks the A7SIII is “flawless?” Make me laugh more please.

I’ll use the camera the way I use all my cameras and if it causes me a problem I’ll return it and wait for further developments - firmware, whatnot. If not, I’m golden.

I prefer foot warmer BTW.

You're right only one person has reported that the camera overheats.

Unfortunately, it would cost me about $600 Canadian to return this camera if I decided to return it

Hope the camera is everything you expected

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
You're right only one person has reported that the camera overheats.

Unfortunately, it would cost me about $600 Canadian to return this camera if I decided to return it

Hope the camera is everything you expected

Lots of people have reported lots of things but none of them know how that applies to me and how I shoot. I’ll wait and see for myself how I LIKE IT and go from there.

That would be a good reason to cancel in my book - if the unknown is going to cost you bucks by all means.

Me too Tom.

Upvote 0