The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

1 - I am excited and will continue to be excited until my camera is in my hands and I see for myself whether or not the camera meets MY expectations and needs. I haven’t heard a lot of ‘press’ myself - just ramblings from “influencers” and a one-off partial review here or there.

2 - Only you can decide whether you did the right thing, but personally unless someone is writing the check or swiping the card for my equipment their opinion means nothing to me. If my images look the way I want them to look then that’s good enough for me. I’m not making money off my photography so I only have to please myself. 99 percent of the time the quality of the photo will be the result of the user’s talent and not their equipment choice or specifications. All the dynamic range capability in the world won’t save a bad photo.

3 - I was socially distancing myself while taking photos before it was popular. People in groups can be noisy and that’s the last thing I want when I’m shooting wildlife - some jackass pontificating about their “massive dynamic range” Or how crappy my gear is while I’m sneaking up on a nest.

4 - Haters? Ignore them. It’s the best medicine.

Thanks Bert. Groups of photographers can be the worst. I am an older female who went on a 4 day guided photo field trip a couple of years ago. There were about 10 people. I couldn't believe how some pushed me out of the way to get the "best" spot. I vowed never again. There's a lot to be said about social distancing. Final thought. Without youtube many of us might be a bit happier? I gave up facebook and instagram 3 years ago. Thanks again.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I didn’t want a new camera for fun I want it to work for what I want. And no, 20 is okay, but the weather sealing , no top display, same evf, downgraded screen etc isn’t worth it over the R which I can’t use for a lot of things as of now.
Actually, come think of it.
1. Top screen : all the info is in the EVF anyway. So .. great. I actually would prefer the top dialso I can flick from Av to Tv and backwards in a split second.
2. dual memory card in R6. Great
3. Better than in R weather sealing. According to Canon.
4. same evf - great less EVF latency and less battery drain than in R5
5 plus improved AF
6. Plus fantastic 4K/30. Apparently beautiful quality
7. Joystick instead of touch bar
8. 1Dx3 sensor. Magnificent.
9. IBIS

in my opinion this is a mini 1 series camera with some what reduced build quality lesser form factor and obviously lighter.
Agree, resale value would not be the best. As generally. Your general public do not dig 20mp cameras these days.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
So anyway, back to the manual... ;) I picked up an error in the R5 owner's manual (which I downloaded from the original post soon after the R5 manual went live). Page 912 of 919.

They have the figures in the 2 "battery life" columns at the right, round the wrong way.

That is, 'Power saving' (60fps EVF) should have 490 possible shots (@23 deg C) and "Smooth" (120fps EVF) should be 320 (@23 deg C).

I have sent a comment via Canon Europe's Facebook page.. with the below hopefully they read my comment. :cool:
It's annoying not to be able to email / private message an organisation about aspects like this...

1596071892096.png

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
I ordered my from BH the day after it was announced. Status says Backordered.
I ordered (from BH because of Payboo) 10 minutes into the release event when I checked here and saw the orders were just opened. Mine is shipped and scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Without youtube many of us might be a bit happier? I gave up facebook and instagram 3 years ago.
I don't spend a lot of time looking at Youtube. Only the occasional instructional video. As for Facebook, it would be hard for me to give it up as I lived outside the U.S. for many years and it is my best link to many friends around the world, as well as far-flung family in the U.S. I don't do Instagram.

Upvote 0
Very nice work!
Thanks David. Not sure that the R5 will make me a much better photographer but it will be fun trying (especially for video) :)
It should be a big step up from my 5Div and a steep learning curve. Probably will take a long time before I hit the limits of what it can do despite all the supposed gotchas.

Digidirect confirmed today that the R5 will be delivered within the next week in Australia. Not long now. Anyone want to make me an offer for a Canon Australia custom R5 strap?

Probably quite a while until Ikelite can deliver a matching R5 housing for it so I need to keep by 5Div until then. I need to sell my EF70-200mm f2.8 and the migration is complete. The only annoying thing is that I have nothing that can reach >200mm now as I sold my TCs. Buying a RF 1.4x + 100-400mm II (with EF-RF adaptor) will be about the same cost as the RF 100-500mm. Second hand 100-400mm are hard to find and really keeping their value. Maybe a flood once the RF100-500mm is available though. The reviews will be fun to read.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
I know this is off topic, but my BH order says "Order in Progress"...

Any guesses if I'll be in the first shipment that goes out tomorrow?

I didn't place my order until about an hour after they were available so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Mine showed that in the day leading up
To shipment.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Also got my shipping notice! Weekend of experimenting with the R5 ahead and no rescheduling to be home for a late delivery. :D

Also separately, the Sony A7S3 in at least two reviewer tests overheated about as quick as the Canon R5 or even quicker, and it is a video only camera with a small sensor resolution and less weather sealing. Tons of people started making excuses for it, which I found hilarious after the merciless bashing of the Canon R5/6 as a failure on seemingly every place on the net. Dan Watson repeated his test with a lot of changes to prove the same thing twice, and in hot Florida sun the Canon lasted about 30 minutes @4K60 just like the Sony. Looks like in the end, the Sony is not immune to physics despite all the heat savings it should have with small sensor MP. Of course I guess it could be the specific Sony unit is defective, but that is unlikely.

I do think with a dedicated heat sink, indoors, the Sony models will probably be found to stay cool longer with cooler ambient air to exchange heat, but in extreme heat, all cameras are equally awful with no way to get rid of heat.

No real point to all that except to say, the Canons are slowly looking to be great as Hybrid cameras for all but long term shooting, and if that is your need, no one really has a perfect solution. Hoping when we get them in our hands that doesn't change with any spoilers. All these brands are making ridiculously good cameras and I am grateful to have the chance to use any of them.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Mine is on the way. Should be in my hands tomorrow. I have to say that I am less excited than I would or should be. Recent bad press has made me wonder if I have done the right thing? How could we go from euphoria to dejection in just a few weeks? Maybe I am over reacting to the press? I got a friend who switched to Sony years ago offer to send me a fire extinguisher. When I was out photographing birds with my 5D the conversation with sony and nikon shooters usually went to dynamic range and how poor Canon was. I imagine for the first few months all I will hear is "how many shots before it shuts down?" This lockdown has it's plus side. I can avoid other shooters by saying I need to keep anti-socially distanced. (Which is true anyway). I will be able to avoid the haters.

People who get in brand matches are pretty superficial. Every camera has its pros and cons and is just a tool. Canon has never been as behind as the brand religious fanboys and fangirls say- Canon designs great all around systems, not the flashiest cameras that lead on paper for every spec. People think buying a thing makes them superior to others and it is really sad.

You are buying into a great system with incredible glass and a bright future, not just this one camera, and Canon may not be the loudest and fastest to market, but they are generally very reliable and have great ergonomics and real world shooting experience, great glass and accessories, and well thought out features. Similar can be said about a lot of brands these days, we are spoiled for great options.

The dynamic range arguments and blathering about sensor superiority have been ridiculous for 4-5 years when the 80D and 5D4 came out with sensors nearly catching up to Sony. The one stop difference that may have remained at base ISO is only useful for fools who boost shadows 4-5 stops in post. I am sure Canon is about even with everyone else at this point as their 1DX3 / R6 sensor and R5 sensor are improved again. If someone is half a stop ahead, who cares? Look at all the great content people have made with much older tools.

There are a lot of immature and foolish reviewers out there who make a living as parasites bashing or fawing over products instead of being objective and fair. They only care about clicks and attention in too many cases. I do think negative hype is terribly popular and hard to ignore these days as it is everywhere.

Personally, I'm sorry yo have to deal with those people and I wouldn't worry. I'm excited for my delivery. Unless something we have not heard about comes up I think these will be really enjoyable cameras for us as long as used with realistic expectations of not doing all day video in 4K60 or 8K.

All of these brands are great, people should come together creatively and embrace the competition and options we can all select that meet our specific needs. Anyone trying to make you feel bad about brands unless it is just very light 'fun rivalry' banter is not worth talking with.

Or, put in a few words- don't sweat these fools and enjoy your new camera!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Digidirect confirmed today that the R5 will be delivered within the next week in Australia. Not long now. Anyone want to make me an offer for a Canon Australia custom R5 strap?

Congrats. Looks like I wasn't so lucky with CameraPro, my order will only be sent by the end of October. They do a refund minus deposit though and I won't be able to use the camera anyway because of lockdown, so will be waiting till October.

• Sad
Upvote 0
Congrats. Looks like I wasn't so lucky with CameraPro, my order will only be sent by the end of October. They do a refund minus deposit though and I won't be able to use the camera anyway because of lockdown, so will be waiting till October.
I would have been very annoyed if I wasn't in the initial batch as I put down a deposit in February hoping to get it before a planned trip to Norway/Iceland on 3-July. Many things have happened since and at least we recently got back all the money paid in advance from the planned holiday. I can still shot sunrise/waterfalls and diving in Sydney and astro a couple of hours away. Macro on Monday (bank holiday) and maybe some portraits to play with. I will leave playing with 8K until Canon releases their CFe approved list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would have been very annoyed if I wasn't in the initial batch as I put down a deposit in February hoping to get it before a planned trip to Norway/Iceland on 3-July. Many things have happened since and at least we recently got back all the money paid in advance from the planned holiday. I can still shot sunrise/waterfalls and diving in Sydney. Macro on Monday (bank holiday) and maybe some portraits to play with. I will leave playing with 8K until Canon releases their CFe approved list.

I only preordered after the official announcement, that's probably why I'm only getting the second batch. Disappointing but considering the recent corona development in Victoria, I don't know when I'm able to travel farther than my local park.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I would have been very annoyed if I wasn't in the initial batch as I put down a deposit in February hoping to get it before a planned trip to Norway/Iceland on 3-July. Many things have happened since and at least we recently got back all the money paid in advance from the planned holiday. I can still shot sunrise/waterfalls and diving in Sydney. Macro on Monday (bank holiday) and maybe some portraits to play with.
I will leave playing with 8K until Canon releases their CFe approved list.

Glad that you have received reimbursement for your holiday moneys paid in advance...
I'm also glad that you're positive and realise you can still shoot other subject matter in Sydney in the meantime. :)

I am in Adelaide, and am looking forward to purchasing the R5 in time. It'll be my first Canon mirrorless FF - I have a bunch of Canon DSLRs and lots of EF and EF-S glass, and looking forward to moving to RF glass in the future.

I'm curious if you can shed any more light on hte "CFe approved list" aspect?

I bought a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express Card (B) from Adorama when on sale some months ago (this was after it was confirmed by Canon that the R5 would have 1 x CF Express card slot). I wanted to buy a card while on sale, and to use up some of my PayPal account balance.

Is there an expectation that some CF Express cards will be incompatible (or 'less compatible' than others?) :oops:

The (hopefully) good news is:
a) I've found Sandisk to be super reliable on all my Canon DSLRs for almost 20 years
b) On the B&H page, for 'recommended' memory cards for the R5, the exact CF Express card I have displays at the top of the list

I look forward to anyone's input / reply.... :cool:

Regards, PJ

Upvote 0
Glad that you have received reimbursement for your holiday moneys paid in advance...
I'm also glad that you're positive and realise you can still shoot other subject matter in Sydney in the meantime. :)

I am in Adelaide, and am looking forward to purchasing the R5 in time. It'll be my first Canon mirrorless FF - I have a bunch of Canon DSLRs and lots of EF and EF-S glass, and looking forward to moving to RF glass in the future.

I'm curious if you can shed any more light on hte "CFe approved list" aspect?

I bought a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express Card (B) from Adorama when on sale some months ago (this was after it was confirmed by Canon that the R5 would have 1 x CF Express card slot). I wanted to buy a card while on sale, and to use up some of my PayPal account balance.

Is there an expectation that some CF Express cards will be incompatible (or 'less compatible' than others?) :oops:

The (hopefully) good news is:
a) I've found Sandisk to be super reliable on all my Canon DSLRs for almost 20 years
b) On the B&H page, for 'recommended' memory cards for the R5, the exact CF Express card I have displays at the top of the list

I look forward to anyone's input / reply.... :cool:

Regards, PJ
Hey PJ, unfortunately your 128gb sandisk CFe card probably won't handle 8k Raw. I believe only the 512gb sandisk card supported raw video on the 1dx iii. We really have to wait for Canon to release an approved card list before we will truly know.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Canon Singapore have latest DPP for download

Thanks! Downloaded the latest version (4.12.60) through the DPP app itself in Windows 10.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0