Canon R5 Rattle/Shake noise

Nov 12, 2016
Hey guys, if you want to really freak yourselves out, set the camera to leave the shutter open when the camera powers down, turn off the camera, remove the lens, and tilt the camera side to side. You can see the sensor noticeably flopping around in there, seemingly completely unbothered by the fact that it's the most expensive part in a $4000 camera. Seriously it's moving around more than a king size mattress tied down to the roof of a minivan. Ha, oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hey guys, if you want to really freak yourselves out, set the camera to leave the shutter open when the camera powers down, turn off the camera, remove the lens, and tilt the camera side to side. You can see the sensor noticeably flopping around in there, seemingly completely unbothered by the fact that it's the most expensive part in a $4000 camera. Seriously it's moving around more than a king size mattress tied down to the roof of a minivan. Ha, oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm...I wonder if one way to help the thing cool off might be to leave the shutter open and remove the lens. (I'd then lay the camera on its back, if the risk of crud/dust falling onto the sensor is tiny.) In another thread someone claims taking the lens off doesn't help the camera cool down faster (and cites that as evidence that the overheating is NOT in the sensor) but doesn't say whether the shutter was left open.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

Hmm...I wonder if one way to help the thing cool off might be to leave the shutter open and remove the lens. (I'd then lay the camera on its back, if the risk of crud/dust falling onto the sensor is tiny.) In another thread someone claims taking the lens off doesn't help the camera cool down faster (and cites that as evidence that the overheating is NOT in the sensor) but doesn't say whether the shutter was left open.
I think that might have been me. I got the thing with the sensor cooling not doing much from this review of the R6:
https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-eos-...otage-serious-limitation-doubtful-video-tool/

If you scroll down you can see a picture where he has a fan blowing in with the shutter open (camera on, display white). That's why I gathered cooling the sensor does not do much. His quote:
As my frustration grew, I tried it all. Ice bag on the camera, strong fan pointing directly to the sensor glass [...] The weather-sealed camera body did a “great job” by doing what it supposed to do, and not let anything enter it. Not even the fresh fan air…

So that's why I think it's the internal processing components that give in first. the sensor might at some point, but as the thermal management is set currently it's not the first issue preventing shooting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think that might have been me. I got the thing with the sensor cooling not doing much from this review of the R6:
https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-eos-...otage-serious-limitation-doubtful-video-tool/

If you scroll down you can see a picture where he has a fan blowing in with the shutter open (camera on, display white). That's why I gathered cooling the sensor does not do much. His quote:

So that's why I think it's the internal processing components that give in first. the sensor might at some point, but as the thermal management is set currently it's not the first issue preventing shooting.

OK, that's a pretty strong argument then.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

++++ As my frustration grew, I tried it all. Ice bag on the camera, strong fan pointing directly to the sensor glass [...] The weather-sealed camera body did a “great job” by doing what it supposed to do, and not let anything enter it. Not even the fresh fan air…

A.M.: weather-sealed body did a great job ?.. with lens removed and fan blowing down the open lens mount throat not cooling things down ?.. is a an utter rubbish.
once you remove the lens, there no more barrier.. fan blowing directly into a magnesium chamber, a cavity will act as a heat convector..

+++ If you scroll down you can see a picture where he has a fan blowing in with the shutter open

A.M.: where does it say that shutter was open? it says the following instead:

Canon EOS R6 – Overheating issue, no help from the fan.:

I do not believe for a second that blowing air directly into the cavity would not assist cooling the camera down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

once you remove the lens, there no more barrier.. fan blowing directly into a magnesium chamber, a cavity will is a heat convector..
No more barrier to the sensor, but it seems the Digic X is still well insulated somewhere else in the body.

My whole reasoning why I think it's not the sensor overheating first is here:

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No more barrier to the sensor, but it seems the Digic X is still well insulated somewhere else in the body.

My whole reasoning why I think it's not the sensor overheating first is here:
processor is well insulated? are.you. serious.. it well may be that processor overheating is the issue.
however, if true, its a great news. as processor isn't a moving part. so much easier to improve heat transfer via an additional heat pipes to the bottom plate, increase the heat dissipation surface via add-on plates, etc.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

processor is well insulated? are.you. serious..
Is that a real question or just a statement at the state in general?
But yeah, I meant thermally insulated from the environment due to weather sealing. If the Digic X basically sits in a hot air box somewhere inside the camera that explains a lot why it takes two hours to fully reset the temperature. Air (especially non-moving) is great insulator.

Granted I have no proof of this since there isn't a teardown of the R5, yet. But from what we've seen so far it makes sense.

Again, the sensor works fine at 4K60 for hours when recording externally, but immediately shuts down due to heat when trying to record internally. So the sensor is not too hot to shoot 4K60, something else in the camera is.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
wow.. so the sensor is freely bouncing inside? I guess 4WD adventure is out of question with such a camera then. couple of hours bouncing over a corrugated track may be quite damaging for the IBIS assembly. thought that IBIS assembly should have been "parked" instead.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
But yeah, I meant thermally insulated from the environment due to weather sealing. If the Digic X basically sits in a hot air box somewhere inside the camera that explains a lot why it takes two hours to fully reset the temperature. Air (especially non-moving) is great insulator.

Granted I have no proof of this since there isn't a teardown of the R5, yet. But from what we've seen so far it makes sense.

Again, the sensor works fine at 4K60 for hours when recording externally, but immediately shuts down due to heat when trying to record internally. So the sensor is not too hot to shoot 4K60, something else in the camera is.

You still haven't answered the question where GSM asked where he had stated that the shutter was open.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
wow.. so the sensor is freely bouncing inside? I guess 4WD adventure is out of question with such a camera then. couple of hours bouncing over a corrugated track may be quite damaging for the IBIS assembly. thought that IBIS assembly should have been "parked" instead.

If it were parked, it could conceivably also be in contact with something to conduct heat away, reducing recovery time (if it's the sensor that is the issue).

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

You still haven't answered the question where GSM asked where he had stated that the shutter was open.
Actually I have, in this thread here. Post #7 above.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

insulating a heating element inside a sealed small body makes 0 sense. I am sorry. again.

+++ If the Digic X basically sits in a hot air box somewhere inside the camera..

A/M.: what do you mean? once you removed the lens there is no more sealing. you have a hole in the camera body wide open. a massive hole. processor is not insulated. who in their right mind will insulate processor?

I have a a better idea: why would we not discuss photography instead? :D

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Actually I have, in this thread here. Post #7 above.

You asserted that he had said so, and I initially took your word for it. GSM later asked:

A.M.: where does it say that shutter was open? it says the following instead:

EDIT: whoops, never mind...you claim its visible in the video. (I can't play videos today, as I ran out of my monthly data allowance and am severely throttled.)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

insulating a heating element inside a sealed small body makes 0 sense. I am sorry. again.

+++ If the Digic X basically sits in a hot air box somewhere inside the camera..

A/M.: what do you mean? once you removed the lens there is no more sealing. you have a hole in the camera body wide open. a massive hole. processor is not insulated. who in their right mind will insulate processor?

I have a a better idea: why would we not discuss photography instead? :D
Well, I'm happy to hear your explanation then why an overheated camera can keep recording 4K60 externally while blowing air into the bajonet does nothing for cooldown. weather sealing is a thing, and the sensor is not in the same place as the Digic X.

Upvote 0